Four Roses Single Barrel question

fosmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've heard that for the 100 proof 4R SiB, barrels from the first tier of the warehouse are the best, based on my understanding that the third digit in the barrel number (from 1 to 6) indicates the lowest to highest tier.   Here's the reasoning. 

From what I've read and seen, tier 1 barrels are typically closer to 100 proof.  Thus, barrels from the bottom tier require very little water to get to 100 proof so you're getting a nearly cask strength bourbon for about half the cost of the Barrel Strength release.  I've seen tier 6 barrels at well over 120 proof.   So, a regular single barrel from the top tier would have had much more water added to get to 100 proof.  I haven't had enough 4R SiB to know how difference this would make in the final flavor profile, but I'm thinking it could be significant. 

Can anyone confirm or refute this theory? 

four roses sb.jpg

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Interesting theory,

but it don’t forget to factor in the age variable. 

They don't put an age statement on the SiB but I assume it's younger whiskey than the Barrel Strength which is now around 8-9 years.  Does anyone know how much younger? 

I just looked at all my 4R PS bottles and the ones that are 3-5 are noticeably higher proof than 1-2.

I recently did a sbs with these 2 bottles, but it was prior to paying any attention to the numbers. I didnt notice much difference, but you have me intrigued enough that I'll seek out another from the first floor to do another sbs. 

20181228_165214.jpg

Technically the theory may hold. But Four Roses has single story warehouses, so while they are stacked six high, that's only 12 or so feet of difference from top to bottom. I have to think other factors play as big a factor into the final proof, like elevation of the warehouse, N/S orientation of the barrel within the warehouse, placement near walls/windows/doors, length of maturation, etc. That's just proof. But then of course there's flavor, where the barrel itself is a major variable. And at different proofs, my understanding is that different chemical interactions take place between liquid and wood that significantly impact flavor.

You should figure out the lowest 4R warehouse in elevation using Google maps, get a SB from tier 1 placed in the interior of the North side of the building, and then compare it to another SB from the 6th tier, South side exterior of the highest warehouse and report back. Sounds like a lot of work, but fun!

• I like it 1

Just now, fosmith said:

They don't put an age statement on the SiB but I assume it's younger whiskey than the Barrel Strength which is now around 8-9 years.  Does anyone know how much younger? 

I don't know, but my guess would be typically 6-8 years.  Everything at cask strength is 8+ years (and these days it's usually 8-9).  I've seen the 100 proof OBSV picks at less than 8 years, but those are always age stated as well.  While I can't confirm your theory it would make a lot of sense.  While I don't know if they would be better barrels, they are likely to have less water added to get to 100 proof.  I will also say that I've absolutely lover a few barrel picks that were low 50%'s.

2 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I don't know, but my guess would be typically 6-8 years.  Everything at cask strength is 8+ years (and these days it's usually 8-9).  I've seen the 100 proof OBSV picks at less than 8 years, but those are always age stated as well.  While I can't confirm your theory it would make a lot of sense.  While I don't know if they would be better barrels, they are likely to have less water added to get to 100 proof.  I will also say that I've absolutely lover a few barrel picks that were low 50%'s.

Yeah, cask strength bourbon in the low 100s usually seems to have more character than bourbon watered down to a similar proof, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, fosmith said:

ive Been told (by a reliable 4R source in early 2018), that nothing under 8 years will currently be sold as a CS private pick. 

100p single barrel is “currently”, a minimum of 6 years old, but there’s no age cap. 

Also, age is not the only determining factor as to where a barrel of OBSV goes. 

49 minutes ago, 0895 said:

ive Been told (by a reliable 4R source in early 2018), that nothing under 8 years will currently be sold as a CS private pick. 

Mandy perhaps?  ;)

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.