LCWoody

What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

Radioyada

Opened the gift from my friend this Sunday evening. I gotta say this  is completely different from the regular Angels Envy that I do not like. Very very sweet, with the rye flavors peeking around that sweetness. This is a pure desert drink. 

A864A8B7-FEAD-4C06-AC1A-ABCFE07921B9.jpeg

• I like it 1

LCWoody
On 5/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Radioyada said:

Opened the gift from my friend this Sunday evening. I gotta say this  is completely different from the regular Angels Envy that I do not like. Very very sweet, with the rye flavors peeking around that sweetness. This is a pure desert drink. 

A864A8B7-FEAD-4C06-AC1A-ABCFE07921B9.jpeg

I’ve had a bottle of this open for close to three years now. I call it my holiday rye. I love the taste of it around Christmas time and Thanksgiving, it has such a gingerbread taste to me that it goes with those two holidays the best.  And even after all that time I think I still have over a third of the bottle left. I’m not saying its bad or really good, its a rye that has time and place to me. 

• I like it 2

smokinjoe
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I’ve had a bottle of this open for close to three years now. I call it my holiday rye. I love the taste of it around Christmas time and Thanksgiving, it has such a gingerbread taste to me that it goes with those two holidays the best.  And even after all that time I think I still have over a third of the bottle left. I’m not saying its bad or really good, its a rye that has time and place to me. 

That is a perfect synopsis of this bottle for me, LC.  I’m in 100% agreement. My approach and appreciation of this whiskey changed significantly from what I expected going in to my first bottle.  I expected to like it much more than I did.  The rum finish is beyond what I like in a rye for the majority of the year, but during the Holiday Season, it really can be a great sipper.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

kcgumbohead

On a quick road trip I had a nice New Riff SBS. The barrel proof rye and the Balboa rye. I like the standard rye and certainly enjoyed the BP version. The Balboa was my favorite and I certainly hope they produce more of that one in the future. More fruit forward in addition to the rye spice, a somewhat unique and delicious pour.

BoilerinIL
3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

On a quick road trip I had a nice New Riff SBS. The barrel proof rye and the Balboa rye. I like the standard rye and certainly enjoyed the BP version. The Balboa was my favorite and I certainly hope they produce more of that one in the future. More fruit forward in addition to the rye spice, a somewhat unique and delicious pour.

Agree with you on this. I picked up 2 bottles of the Balboa Rye when they went on sale through the New Riff Whiskey Club. If this becomes a regular release, I will always have a bottle open. I savored the first bottle and still have the 2nd unopened. As a bonus, I had to pick them up at the distillery. Got to have a few drinks, do the tour, and buy some distillery picks to come home with the Balboa.

geclbxf
On 7/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, BoilerinIL said:

Agree with you on this. I picked up 2 bottles of the Balboa Rye when they went on sale through the New Riff Whiskey Club. If this becomes a regular release, I will always have a bottle open. I savored the first bottle and still have the 2nd unopened. As a bonus, I had to pick them up at the distillery. Got to have a few drinks, do the tour, and buy some distillery picks to come home with the Balboa.

I too have gone through one of my 2 bottles of Balboa.   I think it should be an everyday line extension for New Riff going forward!

markandrex

Walked into a WFE 7 years rye as part of a WFE package deal.  The store had two 6 year bourbons and the rye.  I kept seeing them behind the counter.  Six months ago they wanted $250 each.  Three months ago it was $200.  Today was $150.  We settled at $114.99 and a case of OE7 at $40 each.

D61CDB74-5D66-4DF4-BBA2-32962FB9F4A7.jpeg

Edited by markandrex