Jump to content

What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m sure you’re right about not every store/group knowing the correct source. I’m primarily a rye lover and have drank lots of both, and feel pretty confident in knowing which I’m drinking. The guy who went and picked the barrels had me try both barrels blind to see if I could tell and then he confirmed, as they had bought a barrel of each. Both very good, but a different profile. 

 

I’m no WFE slave by any means. I like the 4 year house distilled bottles I’ve had lately but won’t overpay for them, and I keep passing on the 10 over and over again at retail. 

BIB,

 

The F44 pick is confirmed to be a 13 year MGP. Let me know if you get the Willet. I know with your sources you can find retail, if not I know where you can find one for $250. I have 2 other WP 13 Year MGP picks we could SBS. Of the 3 I have open, I like the F44 the best though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 0895

    60

  • HoustonNit

    49

  • kevinbrink

    34

  • Marekv8

    32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a mess of DSP 354 Rittenhouse

Interesting old school stuff— dense and austere, sour versus sweet, black-peppered oak with savory spices— and a great delivery. Takes water well and has a true finish.   

..

Posted Images

BottledInBond
52 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

BIB,

 

The F44 pick is confirmed to be a 13 year MGP. Let me know if you get the Willet. I know with your sources you can find retail, if not I know where you can find one for $250. I have 2 other WP 13 Year MGP picks we could SBS. Of the 3 I have open, I like the F44 the best though.

I got a 2 ounce sample of the Willett to bring home. We can split that if you want to try it just text me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes, StraightBourbon is perhaps the last bastion of whiskey sanity.

That would make a great website tagline!

lastbastion.png

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 0895 said:

 

Must be the same group of guys I hang with sometimes...

 

Present company excluded of course! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Present company excluded of course! :)

Yeah, of course. 

But if you’d have bought that Willett 10 for $300, I would have demoted you. 

:P

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If you want to start an interstate importing company we could make a killing off these guys in NY ;) J/K of course.

I was surprised to see bottles of the same WFE 10 Rye last week on the shelf in Manhattan ($250)— guess they’re gone by now given the climate.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I was surprised to see bottles of the same WFE 10 Rye last week on the shelf in Manhattan ($250)— guess they’re gone by now given the climate.

I would think so, I wasn't really looking for anything in the last week in NY though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would think so, I wasn't really looking for anything in the last week in NY though.

I’ve been meaning to tell you that Ambassador does not have the DL Old Particular Ben Nevis as suspected.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

I’ve been meaning to tell you that Ambassador does not have the DL Old Particular Ben Nevis as suspected.

Bummer I'll probably end up grabbing it at Warehouse if I find myself in the area, just need to stop myself from going into Astor if I'm down that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Bummer I'll probably end up grabbing it at Warehouse if I find myself in the area, just need to stop myself from going into Astor if I'm down that way.

 

I hear you on that one. They almost had to kick me out last week for drooling over the vintage Bowmores locked in the glass case. I ended up having a nice conversation with the owner of St. Agrestis who was sampling his Amaro and Negroni RTD cocktail.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
12 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes, StraightBourbon is perhaps the last bastion of whiskey sanity.

Yeah, for us crazy bourbon nerds. :wacko:

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, kevinbrink said:

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

Whenever my inner tater starts to show I come back here for realignment.

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Whenever my inner tater starts to show I come back here for realignment.

It still gets the better of me on occasion ;) 

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, BottledInBond said:

Yeah, that is exactly what I said I wanted to do. I paid $80 for a WhistlePig 10 year MGP rye and I want to taste it side by side with this. That WP barrel is very good and I can’t imagine this WFE 10 year rye is that much better. 

I know it's been a long running topic to complain about WP prices, but the cask strength store picks are probably the best value in aged rye as they're consistently under $90.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 10:08 AM, kevinbrink said:

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, 0895 said:

 

Must be the same group of guys I hang with sometimes...

 

No, they're everywhere.  They're ubiquitous.  The facebook bourbon groups are a joke and they're the reason a  store pick of something ordinary like OWA or whatever sells out in 30 minutes.  (No the boom is not anywhere near peaking).  Meanwhile those of us with a life don't stand a chance of picking one up through normal channels.  Luckily there are still some retail stores that value regular customers and will hold a bottle. 

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to try this from a distributor sales representative a couple of weeks ago, and the store owner, employees and I all agreed that it was something he should consider carrying. I stopped by yesterday, and he had it in stock, so I had to pick it up. It’s young, and sourced from MGP, but it’s pretty good stuff and reasonably priced considering the crazy rye prices of some competitors.

IMG_0064.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little Peerless gift shop 3 year single barrel tonight.  This stuff is fantastic.  I still hate the price, but this stuff is fantastic.  Has a neat BBQ / smoked meat thing going on with it, that sounds weird, but is actually quite interesting.  I can't put it down.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wedelstaedt

Debut pour from this KO Rye, batch #2.  Guiltless pour, as I found the bottle @ $119.99 last summer. 

 

Cheers

IMG_3181.JPG

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
j_fuelfiveo

I finally found a bottle of Old Forester Rye today and stumbled upon a 2017 batch High West Double Rye for only $30 so that came home with me as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

I’m drinking some Old Forester rye with Bruce Cost ginger ale while sorting out a late dinner for the family and preparing to settle in to watch boxing tonight. If you like ginger ale even a little, you should find some Bruce Cost and try it. Expensive, but as a splash with a decent rye it’s pretty damn good 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot how good this is. 

6y cask strength MGP, aged in NM. 

Tastes like sunshine in a bottle. 

Spring is almost here and this is tasting fantastic today in the 60 degree weather!

715C97CC-7BB0-4BE2-972A-34615512F14A.jpeg

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.