Jump to content
kevinbrink

Old Forester Rye

Recommended Posts

NDN98

I don't drink a lot of rye, but I think the OF Rye is great and much better than some of the High West ryes that are 3-4X more expensive.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

I got to sample this from a distributor rep the other day, and I think it’s pretty darn good. It’s hitting shelves now in my area, and I think it will do very well, especially given the price point.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anvil 20

I had never tried a rye, but wanted to, and so with the favorable reviews in this thread I decided to give this one a try. 

 

I enjoyed it.  I actually found the spiciness to be reminiscent of WT101 (the bourbon, not the rye, which I've never had).   Maybe not a sweet as WT, and a little more floral. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlounderinDC

Love the OF Rye. It is now my staple for cocktails but it is also great on its own....

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, FlounderinDC said:

Love the OF Rye. It is now my staple for cocktails but it is also great on its own....

Agree.  I assume it will be awhile for bars to catch up.  Was in a nice steakhouse last weekend and ordered an old fashioned with rye.  The waiter said they normally use KC rye as their standard, and based on experience with KC rye cocktails I didn't ask him to change anything.  But I agree this OF will be superb in cocktails.

Edited by Kepler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioyada
Posted (edited)

Wrong forum post

Edited by Radioyada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead

As I spend more time with this I am noticing a distinct green bell pepper note in addition to the spice which I like and the sweetness. Bell pepper is not my favorite among the various peppers out there so I am understanding why this one and I are dancing a bit more than I do with, say, Rittenhouse. It was love at first sip with that one. OF is finding more of a home among the "mood pours" for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

As I spend more time with this I am noticing a distinct green bell pepper note in addition to the spice which I like and the sweetness. Bell pepper is not my favorite among the various peppers out there so I am understanding why this one and I are dancing a bit more than I do with, say, Rittenhouse. It was love at first sip with that one. OF is finding more of a home among the "mood pours" for me.

Yeah I get some distinct herbaceous and vegetal qualities out of this stuff. With MGP it's dill, mabybe Old Forester it's bell pepper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

All I know is that I like it a lot.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whiskeyman 53

I'm  sipping on this on a spring deck night. This is now one of my top 3 rye  whiskies. I find myself to be a 95-100% rye mashbill fan. On a trip to my local whiskey store it was suggested that I try this due to owner as well as customer reviews. I did and I am thrilled to have expanded my whiskey pallate to a mashbill that does or should I say did not fit into my flavor profile. OF Rye starts off with that nice rye spice followed by a fruit sweetness and finishes with spicy oak and caramel. This is a must buy ,great job Old Forester. Let this sit for several minutes after your first sip and the   sweetness will come out to combine with the spice and wood for an exceptional pour.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ethangsmith

I can't say enough good about the OF Rye. Very tasty stuff that truly exhibits the characteristics of a rye. None of this 51% nonsense. A classic rye flavor at a very reasonable price. What's there not to love?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guss West

I'm looking forward to trying this OF rye with more age and proof.  12 year barrel proof 65% OF rye. 

 

Yes, Please?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779

Finally hit my controlled county in MD today and picked one up thanks to an insider tip as it still isn’t in the online system. Clerk had to look it up cuz it wouldn’t scan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
Posted (edited)

Just wanted to say how much of a fan I am of this stuff. Last night was a rye night for me and I sampled from a variety  of ryes I had sitting  around. I cracked a fresh WT101 and it was fantastic, a staple for any rye bar for sure. I sampled some other premium grade ryes like CEHT, Ky Owl, and a Whistlepig  PS 10yr. All of these were fantastic in their own way and I enjoyed  every  single one on their own merits.

 

Then I decided to wind down the evening casually  with something "less," a "lower shelf" product, or so I thought. It's  shocking how superb this OF rye is for the price! It really held its own against  those higher priced offerings. And by holding  its own I mean really matching  them step for step. For all his "hyperbolic asshattery" (great term BTW), that nincompoop  Minnick may be right, ... this might  be the  best everyday pour in American  whiskey currently...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwoFingers
On 8/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, marshall9779 said:

Finally hit my controlled county in MD today and picked one up thanks to an insider tip as it still isn’t in the online system. Clerk had to look it up cuz it wouldn’t scan.

What is MoCo charging for this?  I've been running over to VA to get some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
3 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

What is MoCo charging for this?  I've been running over to VA to get some.

WashDC stores have it for $25/750 plus 10.25% alcohol tax compared to $25/750 plus 5.3% sales tax in VA (um, 6% in NoVa and Hampton Roads) . As of a few minutes ago, MoCo still doesn't have it on line.  If I get to a MoCo store this week (very likely Thurs) AND Marsh hasn't posted, I'll report on availability and price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwoFingers
49 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WashDC stores have it for $25/750 plus 10.25% alcohol tax compared to $25/750 plus 5.3% sales tax in VA (um, 6% in NoVa and Hampton Roads) . As of a few minutes ago, MoCo still doesn't have it on line.  If I get to a MoCo store this week (very likely Thurs) AND Marsh hasn't posted, I'll report on availability and price.

Thanks Harry!  I haven't seen it in the stores.  Not sure why it isn't on the website yet.  MoCo has been a little weird lately with how the list things.   

 

The OF is good, but I do find it a little sweet.  It makes a fine Sazerac, so that alone is a positive in my book.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779
What is MoCo charging for this?  I've been running over to VA to get some.

I believe it was $22.99. I think after tax about $25.05
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwoFingers
28 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:


I believe it was $22.99. I think after tax about $25.05

Very reasonable.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

I finally found this out in the wild today, after much looking.  I'm on my second pour, and I must say, the praise is not hyperbole.

There are a lot of good things going on here.  I get tastes of cherry cola, sometimes coffee cake.  Drinks well below its' 100 proof.  Some of the better dusty Old Forester Bourbon characteristics are in there too.

 

Only complaint is I don't like the metal screw cap.  Neck of the bottle is oddly shaped, not ergonomically designed.  Not that will keep me from being a repeat customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
On 8/26/2019 at 9:59 PM, PaulO said:

 

Only complaint is I don't like the metal screw cap.  Neck of the bottle is oddly shaped, not ergonomically designed.  Not that will keep me from being a repeat customer.

 

Well at least it’s not in the birthday bourbon bottle. 

Those are hard to pour from and hog shelf space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...