Dedicated to My Cold Northern Brethren...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon will do it, but if you need something more to keep warm, this should do it...

This is really easy to make but the amount of ingredients, make it complex in flavor.

Add a medium onion to a stick of melted butter & saute'...

saute.thumb.jpg.2462adeaf3af0beb5f7c4df53dd77041.jpg

Mix in a half cup of flower. It will form a paste...

flour.thumb.jpg.ab3d3518049fc32bea41e3f4f8b2e7e5.jpg

Stir in a pint of heavy whipping cream. Yup, this will fortify the decadence that was started by the butter. Turn the fire down, you don't want to scorch the cream...

1302443943_wcream.jpg.85bc40341cf00e63d1cb14d42c8da4aa.jpg

Add a pint of water

a package or can of whole kernel corn

a package/can of mixed veggies

a can of cream of shrimp soup

a can of cream of potato soup

4 small peeled diced new (red) potatoes (seasoned)

veggies.thumb.jpg.6163b3c024f7399c5a4af5d5ee4b50de.jpg

Bring to a boil & simmer, then add:

another pint of water or whatever gets it to the consistency that you desire.

1 pound crab (seasoned) I like claw meat, it holds together better if it is blue crabs

1 pound shrimp (seasoned) I had some nice fresh medium shrimp, but I cut them into pieces. I like the texture in each bite much better in this dish.

And there you have seafood/potato/corn chowder, bisque or whatever you want to call it. I just call it seafood goodness...

chowder.thumb.jpg.0d2032844d565b2d821a9d08c68d05c6.jpg

• I like it 3

This looks awesome. Questions. When you say “seasoned” (potatoes, crab, shrimp) what does that mean? Salt/pepper? Something more?

Is the shrimp raw or cooked when you add it?if raw, how long are you cooking it after adding? I may be making this real soon.

15 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This looks awesome. Questions. When you say “seasoned” (potatoes, crab, shrimp) what does that mean? Salt/pepper? Something more?

Is the shrimp raw or cooked when you add it?if raw, how long are you cooking it after adding? I may be making this real soon.

Sorry Bob...

I tried not to be long winded about this and then after the fact, realized how vague this was.

Here are some finer points:

You don't need to add the cans of soup. I mostly do this to add volume. If you skip the soup, I add a cup of milk instead. 2% is fine. You can add enough water after this to get the consistency that you desire. Once you get to the desired consistency, bring to a boil & turn down to low simmer before adding the seafood.

For the seasoned potatoes, I add seasoning that is typical of mashed, boiled or grilled potatoes. Usually salt, pepper & chives...

The shrimp gets, Tiger sauce, seasoned salt, (Slap your Mama, Tony Chachere's, Morton's, or Lawry's) pepper, lemon juice, ginger, granulated garlic & in this case 2 ounces or so of Woodford Reserve...

The crab meat got, Tiger sauce, Slap ur Mama, pepper & lemon juice...

If you season these ingredients, then the disk overall, doesn't usually require anything more. Pretty much the Cajun way...

I never brought this up to boil at more than 4 on a gas stove to prevent from scalding dairy products. Simmering was done on a very low heat.

After adding the seafood & bringing to simmer, in 20 minutes it was cooked but it got an extra 10 minutes & flavors intensified nicely.

Stir often.

The seafood was raw & fresh. A perk with living on the Gulf Coast.

If I missed anything, let me know...

• I like it 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:36 PM, bayouredd said:

Sorry Bob...

I tried not to be long winded about this and then after the fact, realized how vague this was.

Here are some finer points:

You don't need to add the cans of soup. I mostly do this to add volume. If you skip the soup, I add a cup of milk instead. 2% is fine. You can add enough water after this to get the consistency that you desire. Once you get to the desired consistency, bring to a boil & turn down to low simmer before adding the seafood.

For the seasoned potatoes, I add seasoning that is typical of mashed, boiled or grilled potatoes. Usually salt, pepper & chives...

The shrimp gets, Tiger sauce, seasoned salt, (Slap your Mama, Tony Chachere's, Morton's, or Lawry's) pepper, lemon juice, ginger, granulated garlic & in this case 2 ounces or so of Woodford Reserve...

The crab meat got, Tiger sauce, Slap ur Mama, pepper & lemon juice...

If you season these ingredients, then the disk overall, doesn't usually require anything more. Pretty much the Cajun way...

I never brought this up to boil at more than 4 on a gas stove to prevent from scalding dairy products. Simmering was done on a very low heat.

After adding the seafood & bringing to simmer, in 20 minutes it was cooked but it got an extra 10 minutes & flavors intensified nicely.

Stir often.

The seafood was raw & fresh. A perk with living on the Gulf Coast.

If I missed anything, let me know...

Thanks for the additional info Redd.

Having friends over this Sunday and am gonna give this a go. 

• I like it 1

Tomorrow’s guests want to do an early dinner so we scrapped lunch. Made this today for lunch. LEGIT.

Minced garlic mixed with the onions in step one. Could not find Cream of shrimp soup so added 1/2c whole milk as that’s what we had on hand for the kids. Tabasco and Lowery’s as seasonings. McKenna for bourbon. Green onions for garnish. Otherwise stuck to the recipe. 

Note, it makes a huge amount. I’d guess you could serve 8-12. So good.

15649065-FB7A-4F77-9B81-FE1FB8FC10A3.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Tomorrow’s guests want to do an early dinner so we scrapped lunch. Made this today for lunch. LEGIT.

Minced garlic mixed with the onions in step one. Could not find Cream of shrimp soup so added 1/2c whole milk as that’s what we had on hand for the kids. Tabasco and Lowery’s as seasonings. McKenna for bourbon. Green onions for garnish. Otherwise stuck to the recipe. 

Note, it makes a huge amount. I’d guess you could serve 8-12. So good.

15649065-FB7A-4F77-9B81-FE1FB8FC10A3.jpeg

That looks excellent!!! I love the green onion topper.

It doesn't hurt my feelings if you changed it up. I can't rightly say that I will cook mine the same way again. I only wrote it down so that I could post it, incase someone else wanted to try it.

I'd say that you nailed it, my friend!

P.S. Yes it does make a passel...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.