Advice For Newbies To Bourbon

Carnagusfarnbuckler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

39 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

This is a great thread. Some really good foundational info here. 

Heres a question from rom a newbie:

What threshold do you determine you need to Saran Wrap your bunkered bottles? Plan to drink in 6 months, 1 year, 10 years?

I've never done this

2 hours ago, Supercharger said:

This is a great thread. Some really good foundational info here. 

Heres a question from rom a newbie:

What threshold do you determine you need to Saran Wrap your bunkered bottles? Plan to drink in 6 months, 1 year, 10 years?

I didn’t even know this was a thing. 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I didn’t even know this was a thing. 

I didn’t either. Until I saw some photos of it and read some people commenting on doing it. Didn’t know if it would make all that much difference in oxidation - nor whether oxidation should really be that much of a worry. 

Keep your bottles: standing upright, away from sunlight, and away from extremes in temperature.  Cardboard case box on the floor in a closet works great.

Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Bourbon drinkers, with a capital 'B', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent bar in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: Touch your drinkin’ buddy’s nose.  It’s cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? 

Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? Yeah, I’m  sure....

I cried my eyes out. So we're all bourbon hounds, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to buy more bourbon than we will drink in 3 lifetimes. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're Bourbonians!!  But we're The TOP Bourbonians!!!!  We've been kicking ass for over 200 years! We're ten and one! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we use the right glass, or drink neat, with ice, or condition our palates.  We don't have to worry about whether Kirin, Suntory, or Campari wants to give us a hug.  All we have to do is to be the great American drinking Bourbonian that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.  

• I like it 7

Do blind tastings.  You might find that your opinions of certain bottles of bourbon change when you don't know what you are drinking until after it has been consumed.

8 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Just me; but, as long as I have reliable closures on 'em I don't do this . . . Ever.   My stuff is kept in a cool, dry, mostly dark area as well, which I think is also important; No Sun!!!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, NDN98 said:

Do blind tastings.  You might find that your opinions of certain bottles of bourbon change when you don't know what you are drinking until after it has been consumed.

Man, that is the truth.  I have been shocked at what comes out on top of the blind tastings.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to buy more bourbon than we will drink in 3 lifetimes. 

.......and that's if we live a long time for each lifetime 

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

So we're all bourbon hounds, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to buy more bourbon than we will drink in 3 lifetimes.

This is probably true, I've yet to find someone with 3-6 bottles only, at all times. Like me.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, pouringwhiskey said:

I love this idea and agree 100%. A lot of people, admittedly myself included, let hype, price and availability alter our opinions of bottles. Thankfully I have since grown to know better, it's quite the eye-opener to have a lineup of expensive, rare hyped up bourbons and pick WT101 as the best.

I think this would happen more often then most people would care to admit.

15 hours ago, Vosgar said:

.......and that's if we live a long time for each lifetime 

:D

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Cut it out! Cut it out! Cut it out! The hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Bourbon drinkers, with a capital 'B', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent bar in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: Touch your drinkin’ buddy’s nose.  It’s cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? 

I cried my eyes out. So we're all bourbon hounds, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to buy more bourbon than we will drink in 3 lifetimes. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're Bourbonians!!  But we're The TOP Bourbonians!!!!  We've been kicking ass for over 200 years! We're ten and one! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we use the right glass, or drink neat, with ice, or condition our palates.  We don't have to worry about whether Kirin, Suntory, or Campari wants to give us a hug.  All we have to do is to be the great American drinking Bourbonian that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud.  

Boom-shak-a-lack-a, boom-shak-alack-a-,boom-shak-a-lack-a, BOOM

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You must have been drinking OGD 114 and any GTS with a straw when you wrote this one.   Whew!  And you touch my nose and I'm taking a swing at you.

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, troyce said:

You must have been drinking OGD 114 and any GTS with a straw when you wrote this one.   Whew!  And you touch my nose and I'm taking a swing at you.

OK, Francis...  :D

On 2/20/2019 at 12:19 PM, mross said:

I think this would happen more often then most people would care to admit.

I hated admitting it at first, but it is very true. My fiance has been doing a 3 pour tasting for me every weekend to keep me on my toes, and it also helps hone in some of those flavor profiles I'm still missing. Also realized how much I love OGD114 from these blind tastings, I've chosen it as a favorite twice now! 

I was fortunate to have a good friend who had a large selection of Bourbon, Scotch and Rye. He set up what I now recognize as an amazing opportunity, a tasting of several over multiple days. Without knowing cost of any products, I was able to determine my taste preferences. Now I know what I like and can shop accordingly and build from there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.