Cork vs. Screw Top

pouringwhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As I'm sure all of you are aware, Weller Antique 107 has an impending price increase (going from $25/750ml to $50/750ml). With that in mind, do you think they will keep the screw top or replace it with a cork? Is there a certain price point you feel should justify a cork? I'm fairly new to the game, has anything similar happened in the past? It is my understanding that Henry McKenna BiB used to sport a screw top, but the 3 bottles I have purchased all have a cork. I am interested to hear some input on the subject.

I think corks are there to satisfy the perception that the whiskey is of a higher quality, so my guess would be that it will probably be a cork finish. In reality the screw cap is a better closure.

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

I think corks are there to satisfy the perception that the whiskey is of a higher quality, so my guess would be that it will probably be a cork finish. In reality the screw cap is a better closure.

There have been a few discussions on this over the years but my belief is Plastic Screw Top>Synthetic Cork>Natural Cork>Composite Cork>Metal Screw Top.

• I like it 4

There have been a few discussions on this over the years but my belief is Plastic Screw Top>Synthetic Cork>Natural Cork>Composite Cork>Metal Screw Top.

Perfect hierarchy!
  • I like it 1

My hierarchy would be:

Natural Cork >/= metal screw top (ala Beam)> Composite Cork>plastic screw top>synthetic cork.

I’m still a sucker for the “thwump” sound of a natural cork being pulled from a bottle, though maybe less so than a couple of years ago.  

• I like it 1

Weller CYPB was corked, which was a departure from their other standard offerings of late (SR, OWA, 12yr).  It was actually a nice surprise IMO.  The metal screw tops never really bothered me until I had one leak that I shipped to friend.  Typically, they suffice, but are likely more subject to expansion/contraction issues if they get too cold.  

Edited by SJ Shiner

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I despise the composite cork. If they're going to have a cork and it's not natural, just use the synthetic.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I despise the composite cork. If they're going to have a cork and it's not natural, just use the synthetic.

I will say this in my experience some may actually be of higher quality than non composite WT corks.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I will say this in my experience some may actually be of higher quality than non composite WT corks.

I just noticed my last bottle of WT 101 had a composite cork so the era of nervously opening a WT bottle seems to have come to an end... :D

• I like it 1

BTW, my last Buffalo Trace Bottle I purchased a week or so ago, had a synthetic cork, which is a departure from natural cork.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Perfect order.

i despise natural and composite corks.  All bourbon should have the knob creek/bookers cork.

but the Japanese get it right most of the time.  Screw top ftw.

• I like it 1

My hierarchy would be:
Natural Cork >/= metal screw top (ala Beam)> Composite Cork>plastic screw top>synthetic cork.

I’m still a sucker for the “thwump” sound of a natural cork being pulled from a bottle, though maybe less so than a couple of years ago.  

Well...you got the sucker part right. :)
  • I like it 2

31 minutes ago, BigRich said:

HA..Ha...ha....Where’s that Finger emoji when you need it??? ;)

• I like it 1

Screw caps allow easier disguise (vs popping a cork) when you're sneaking into the kitchen for another dram and you don't want your wife to think your a lush. How's that?

• I like it 3

Got caught between an Aussie and a Frenchman at work a few years ago on this same topic in regards to wine.   The Australians moved to screw caps for their wine years ago as a superior closure as well as cost/ environmental reasons ( as stated by my Aussie friend). Of course, the Frenchman insisted that real wine came corked. 

I’ll admit to being a bit ambivalent on the issue.  The screw cap scratches my technical itch for a better closure but nothing matches the sound of a cork being pulled.  As long as both types do their job in keeping the contents intact, I could go with either one. 

BTW, my two friends at work agreed to disagree and moved on.  No blood was spilled.  ?

On 2/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, smokinjoe said:

I’m still a sucker for the “thwump” sound of a natural cork being pulled from a bottle 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, BigRich said:

Well Rich, add me to the sucker list :D. Love a real cork top regardless of whether or not it's better.  

Well Rich, add me to the sucker list [emoji3]. Love a real cork top regardless of whether or not it's better.  

+1 to this I guess if there’s a zombie apocalypse I want plastic screw top but natural corks are way to much fun. I might actually enjoy the synthetic ones like on KC more as they have more of that “pop” when opening.

I don't understand the intolerance for natural corks.  I suppose on some really old bottles there might be some "cork taint" (is this even a thing?).  But I've had many, many Wild Turkey and Booker's dusties break their natural corks upon opening but after simple straining (or filtering with a coffee filter) I'e never detected any untoward flavor.  On the contrary, I've really enjoyed some fantastic dusty Turkey, even after I dealt with the the disintegrated natural cork from the bottle.

Edited by Kepler
"filter" has one 'L' not two

I don't understand the intolerance for natural corks.  I suppose on some really old bottles there might be some "cork taint" (is this even a thing?).  But I've had many, many Wild Turkey and Booker's dusties break their natural corks upon opening but after simple straining (or filtering with a coffee filter) I'e never detected any untoward flavor.  On the contrary, I've really enjoyed some fantastic dusty Turkey, even after I dealt with the the disintegrated natural cork from the bottle.

If it is something that was bottled in the last couple of years and I am opening and enjoying the bottle over 2-3 months then no issue with natural corks. But if it’s a bottle that’s been around for a while I open it and spread enjoyment over several years then no. I’m 19 years in the fanatical whiskey journey and the dozens of cork incidents have numbered too many to count at this point. I won’t avoid a natural cork bottle but I find no value in it.
  • I like it 2

On 2/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, Old Hippie said:

The first reply nailed it!  Hippie is exactly right.  No one can honestly argue that cork is a better closure in protecting the whiskey inside.  It is just for appearance.  

There is more of an argument to be made for using cork for wine bottles but it is a bad option for whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.