Biggest miss

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Biggest miss?  Only one? :unsure:  “How did I miss thee? Let me count the ways.”  :huh: 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm still optimistic I will like this one despite all the bad things I've heard, 1. I'm weird 2. I liked Willett XCF when I tasted it, so before the reviews started to pile up I sprung for a couple of these.

I hope it works out for you. On the bright for us, it does do well in an old fashioned. 

• I like it 1

I suppose this counts- I happened to be in a VA ABC store last spring looking at the bourbon selection and passed on an Abraham Bowman Sweet XVI because I wasn’t yet familiar with the distillery and I wasn’t spending that on an unknown bottle.

Because of a layoff, I had to sell a bottle of WLW I had just bought to a buddy.

Its still sitting there in his collection, unopened...

• I like it 2

Some time back stopped at a local known pinhooker LS just to laugh at some outrageous prices.  Automatic knee jerk reaction was that the 2 Very Special Old Fitz 12yr bottles  - I'd never seen before (or since) - were waaaaay overpriced..... at $60 each, based on W12 - also not seen - was supposed to be @ $30.  Gone when I realized what I'd passed up and returned a few days later.  Yeah, the OF was jacked up somewhat, but I kicked myself for a loooong time after.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, graftonbc1 said:

I hope it works out for you. On the bright for us, it does do well in an old fashioned. 

I didn't care for it neat, but an old fashioned with it sounds like it could be a winner!

There are many that I’ve passed on over the years that I’d like to have now:

Hirsch 25 Rye

Jeff 25 Rye

HW RMR 21 year

PHC7

OFBB13

And I only bought 3 bottles of an 11.5 year OBSK that is still one of the best whiskies I’ve ever had. 

• I like it 1

I was about to say Bookers Rye because I had the chance to buy. I would have liked to see what all the fuss is about but I still stand by my decision to not pay $300 on a single bottle of whiskey. Anyway I decided on my biggest miss as not stocking up on EC12 before it lost its age statement. ECBP makes it less painful though.

A few years ago a store had a nice pick of SAOS cask strength rye for less than $40. I was smart enough to grab four of them but looking back I wish I had bought a case.

15 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I dont really have any miss on anything yet. Reading everyone's responses makes me curious on 20 years from now what I may feel like I should've purchased/bunkered in 2018-19. 

12 to 14 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel store picks for $40 - $50.  This party won't go on forever... 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

12 to 14 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel store picks for $40 - $50.  This party won't go on forever... 

That's a good one. I had one in my hands yesterday, but I decided to grab a store pick KC rye instead. I'll likely be back to grab the KC soon. 

A few come to mind.  

Probably around late summer of Fall of 2017 and I left two Smooth Ambler Single Barrel Cask Strength bottles on the shelf at $55.  At the time I was not as knowledgeable as I am now, nor had I realized how good MGP juice is (at least to my pallet).  Have not seen a single bottle since. :(

Second was an Eagle Rare store pick.  A store I used to check in on from time to time had ER picks from a notable restaurant in the area??? Asked the clerk and she had no idea why, just said the restaurant pick arrived instead of their normal order.  They did not pay extra or have any idea the store pick was coming.  Having just purchased a couple bottles at $27 I bought one for $35.  Later decided that it was still a good price at $35 and went back for more.  Turns out the owner arrived, saw the pick and decided to mark it up to $39.99.  Well that annoyed the crap out of me so I said screw it, left and have not since been back! 

Finally, the first time I heard of Blaum Brothers (more MGP juice) my LS owner told me bottles were flying off the shelf so I bought two.  It was my best whiskey of 2018 and I would have bought a case if I could go back.  At least I got two. 

Only getting one bottle of Booker's 25th.  At the time I thought I was crazy to be spending $100 on a bottle.  Now, I wish I'd bought a few. 

13 minutes ago, flahute said:

I don't really have any misses. My bunker will testify to this.

You planning ahead currently?

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

You planning ahead currently?

Yep. For me now this means stocking up on good barrel picks when I come across them. WTRB when I find a superior batch. That sort of thing. Previously it meant loading up on EC12 and KC9 before the age statements went away, and similar.

• I like it 2

Not bringing home cases of EC18 when it was available at Costco for $35. Same for cases of stellar PS ETL from Cork & Bottle in KY at $25. Thought they'd always be available. Hindsight is a bitch.

• I like it 1

During the 90's I had a standing card game at my brother in laws liquor store, most Friday nights.  Obviously, we drank a lot of good whiskey, but if you only knew... 

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

During the 90's I had a standing card game at my brother in laws liquor store, most Friday nights.  Obviously, we drank a lot of good whiskey, but if you only knew... 

Give us the deets

10 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Give us the deets

Don't get me wrong, we drank a lot of excellent whiskey.  Lot's of glut era older than age stated Beam, Trace, Turkey and Stitzel-Weller, etc., but what we let slip through our fingers is more what I was referring to.  I mean... we had access to so much, I think we just took it for granted that it would always be that way.  I can recall enough cases of ORVW to make a end row display of.  We knew it was good, but we never drank much of it, 'cause we had plenty of good, for less.;) 

• I like it 1

On 2/20/2019 at 6:01 PM, JCwhammie said:

I dont really have any miss on anything yet. Reading everyone's responses makes me curious on 20 years from now what I may feel like I should've purchased/bunkered in 2018-19. 

Twenty years from now I'll be too old to drink.  Used to drink Lot B almost like water @ $54 a 750 and bought them one at a time, figuring they'd be around "forever" just like Old Crow my Dad drank.  When it went to $65 and the profile changed a bit, I stopped.  Boy, Howdy, was I short-sighted.

Moral - Don't do what I did.  Instead, if you like it, buy it because bourbon in the bottle doesn't spoil.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
as equals because so I changed it

On 2/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, flahute said:

I don't really have any misses. My bunker will testify to this.

I am OH!! SO!! ENVIOUS!!!! !!

16 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I am OH!! SO!! ENVIOUS!!!! !!

Re-reading my post I realize it might sound boastful so I should clarify.

I didn't start until late 2012 so I'm not sitting on a bunch of old Van Winkle and BTAC or 21+ yr age stated Ritt or any of the Vintage brand bottles or any other dusties that are widely celebrated. 

When I did start though I was a quick study so anything that I liked I quickly stocked up on because I could see the writing on the wall that supply of anything with age was in trouble. I'm also one of those guys that tries something as soon as I bring it home no matter how many bottles I may have open already. If I'm really impressed I'll go back and buy a case or more. This is why I've never missed on anything I really like.

• I like it 4

Wish I would've bought more GTS back in the days when they sat on the shelf for a month or so. Still have a number of them, but you can never have enough Stagg.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.