Biggest miss

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

. . . When I did start though I was a quick study so anything that I liked I quickly stocked up on because I could see the writing on the wall that supply of anything with age was in trouble. I'm also one of those guys that tries something as soon as I bring it home no matter how many bottles I may have open already. If I'm really impressed I'll go back and buy a case or more. This is why I've never missed on anything I really like.

Steve, I'm still envious.  Being slow to learn, I saw NO writing until you all on SB made me see it, didn't try lots of stuff until things I really liked (locally HH 6yr BIB, VOB BIB, and even Baby Saz) started disappearing, and was too lazy, until a couple of years ago, to rush back out to load up on anything I liked.  BUT, I do have a lifetime's supply of basic KC @ $21, lots of older OGD 114 @$22, and a palate that loves OGD BIB, WT 101, the Beam ryes and small batch line, and a double-column list of HH products.  Still, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.  ASIDE - Do you think Joni likes bourbon?  Or, is she strictly a Canadian "rye" person?:blink:    Now that I think about it, I'm not doing too bad re: my misses as I have compensated fairly well.  I do need a bigger car trunk, though.

• I like it 1

On 2/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biggest miss?  Only one? :unsure:  “How did I miss thee? Let me count the ways.”  :huh: 

Biba! Joe

I originally posted this because in the 11 + years of my bourbon journey, I’ve had more than a few faux pas’. So many so, that I had to think back a bit. I’m not crying over spilled milk or anything mind you. Over all the Bourbon Gods have been pretty darned good to me over the years. Below are a few my bigger bourbon blunders. At least those that I can currently remember. As Vosgar can attest, I’m the current president of the CRS Club.  :unsure:

I once passed on a shelf full of A.H. Hersch 16 Yr Gold Foils on sale for $57.99.

I was on vacation a number of years ago and I found a store that had Ritt 23 on sale for $69.99. I bought one to try, then went back and bought two more. They gave me a 10% discount. On vacation again in the same place the next year. They still had a bunch left so I bought three more with the discount. The same happened yet again the next year. Looking back, on the third time, I should have bought all they had left. It was only/maybe about another 8-10 bottles IIRC, but I didn’t know then that I wouldn’t be back in that area again for a few years. I liked the Ritt 23 even though I’m not a rye guy. The good news about this is that not only was I able to enjoy this great whiskey, but in one way or another, I was able to share this bounty with a number of other members here.

One time I met a Chicago area member to do some hunting and have lunch. We stopped at one store that had Lot B on sale for $29.99. Sadly, I only bought two. 

Weller Centennial purchased for $34.99-$39.99 from a few sources. I bought a few, but also declined a bunch.

I occasionally visited an “odd” store when out and about. I bought some WTKS pewter tops, Ten High Ten, and SW Old Fitz BIB’s there. I never cleared the shelves, but eventually that well ran dry. 

I once purchased a couple of bottles of WT 12 101 split labels for $28.99. Yeah, I should have bought at least  a couple more.

VW Rye for $45.99. Bought a couple, left a bunch behind. The same with Pappy 15 for $54.99, and Pappy 20 for $92.99-$98.99.

Numerous passes on GTS, and ER 17 at msrp.

Even though I bought a s**t ton of Binny’s Weller 12 back in the day, looking back, I probably should have bought more. This was an absolutely stellar private pick. The price was stellar too. It was $24.99 a bottle. Add a case 10 % case discount on top of that, and yes I bought a case. Two actually, plus a number of individual bottles here and there. This is probably one of my top 10 bourbons of all time, and remains the only one that I’ve ever bought in a 12 bottle case quantity. Again, I was able and happy to share this bounty with a few members here. Sadly, I now only have two left. 

And probably my biggest gaffe of all. Through very gracious circumstances, I was once offered the chance to purchase a number of bottles of 2007 WLW.  FWIW, the 2007 WLW is another one of my top 10 bourbons of all time. Actually, probably my favorite. I did buy a 3 bottle case, but declined on more. Oh, I almost forgot. CRS ya know. This offer was extended to me more than 6-8 years after 2007. Sighhhhhh.

If I remember more, I’ll try and post them. If I can remember :wacko:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

My only miss/regret was drinking scotch for several years before really appreciating bourbon. I have no regrets about passing on a particular bottle. There’s still plenty of great, available bourbon out there, so I don’t beat myself up too much about missing out on bottles that aren’t on the shelf. 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I originally posted this because in the 11 + years of my bourbon journey, I’ve had more than a few faux pas’. So many so, that I had to think back a bit. I’m not crying over spilled milk or anything mind you. Over all the Bourbon Gods have been pretty darned good to me over the years. Below are a few my bigger bourbon blunders. At least those that I can currently remember. As Vosgar can attest, I’m the current president of the CRS Club.  :unsure:

I once purchased a couple of bottles of WT 12 101 split labels for $28.99. Yeah, I should have bought at least  a couple more.

You just jogged a memory! I do have a miss.

Back when The Whiskey Exchange would still ship to my state, and back before everyone in the USA had found them which made them raise their prices to almost secondary, I bought a bottle WT101 12yr. 

I don't remember the price exactly but I think that after splitting up shipping between a 3-4 bottle order (I ordered some other things so only one 12yr 101) it came out to maybe $75-80.

This has become one of my favorite bourbons. I thought about buying more for months and months after getting that bottle. This was back in the day when it was hard to justify that price for a bourbon of that age and proof. When I finally decided to get more they were out. I do regret that one.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I once passed on a shelf full of A.H. Hersch 16 Yr Gold Foils on sale for $57.99.

I was on vacation a number of years ago and I found a store that had Ritt 23 on sale for $69.99. I bought one to try, then went back and bought two more. They gave me a 10% discount. On vacation again in the same place the next year. They still had a bunch left so I bought three more with the discount. The same happened yet again the next year. Looking back, on the third time, I should have bought all they had left. It was only/maybe about another 8-10 bottles IIRC, but I didn’t know then that I wouldn’t be back in that area again for a few years. I liked the Ritt 23 even though I’m not a rye guy. The good news about this is that not only was I able to enjoy this great whiskey, but in one way or another, I was able to share this bounty with a number of other members here.

One time I met a Chicago area member to do some hunting and have lunch. We stopped at one store that had Lot B on sale for $29.99. Sadly, I only bought two. 

Weller Centennial purchased for $34.99-$39.99 from a few sources. I bought a few, but also declined a bunch.

I occasionally visited an “odd” store when out and about. I bought some WTKS pewter tops, Ten High Ten, and SW Old Fitz BIB’s there. I never cleared the shelves, but eventually that well ran dry. 

VW Rye for $45.99. Bought a couple, left a bunch behind. The same with Pappy 15 for $54.99, and Pappy 20 for $92.99-$98.99.

Numerous passes on GTS, and ER 17 at msrp.

Even though I bought a s**t ton of Binny’s Weller 12 back in the day, looking back, I probably should have bought more. This was an absolutely stellar private pick. The price was stellar too. It was $24.99 a bottle. Add a case 10 % case discount on top of that, and yes I bought a case. Two actually, plus a number of individual bottles here and there. This is probably one of my top 10 bourbons of all time, and remains the only one that I’ve ever bought in a 12 bottle case quantity. Again, I was able and happy to share this bounty with a few members here. Sadly, I now only have two left. 

And probably my biggest gaffe of all. Through very gracious circumstances, I was once offered the chance to purchase a number of bottles of 2007 WLW.  FWIW, the 2007 WLW is another one of my top 10 bourbons of all time. Actually, probably my favorite. I did buy a 3 bottle case, but declined on more. Oh, I almost forgot. CRS ya know. This offer was extended to me more than 6-8 years after 2007. Sighhhhhh.

If I remember more, I’ll try and post them. If I can remember :wacko:

Biba! Joe

Just getting off of work. Great post to find here after a long day. Thanks

Early in my journey, I passed all the now famous unicorns just sitting around at then MSRP prices.  There were great mid shelf pours available at the time.  I didn't see a need to spend more than $25.

What aches is remembering a couple years ago.  Bloomington's largest liquor store had HH 6 year BIB @ $10 on sale.  I was on the way home from a fishing trip, and bought a couple.  Shortly after that - no mas.

• 1 month later...

ER10.  

5 years ago it was $19.99 a bottle at a LS in  West Dover, VT, (near Mt. Snow).

I bought 3 bottles. I should've bought 3 cases. 

In 2017 W12 would sit on the shelf for $27.99 at my local store. I could get them whenever I wanted them, so I didn’t bunker up. I haven’t seen one in the wild for less than $100 since then. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.