Evan Williams Black vs Single Barrel

BrokeCal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone familiar with Heaven Hill can help me out.  I purchased a bottle of EWSB 2009 and compared it to a bottle of Black I have.  The Black was darker! Somewhat significantly, either Black is aged for longer than the 7.5 years the SB was or they are adding coloring to the standard Black label.  Secondly the SB had some particles in it, and the mouth feel was significantly silkier and more satisfying, it definitely isn't filtered as much as the Black, the Black label seemed darn right watered down in comparison to the SB yet they have the same proofage.  What do you guys think?

Edited by BrokeCal

8 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone familiar with Heaven Hill can help me out.  I purchased a bottle of EWSB 2009 and compared it to a bottle of Black I have.  The Black was darker! Somewhat significantly, either Black is aged for longer than the 7.5 years the SB was or they are adding coloring to the standard Black label.  Secondly the SB had some particles in it, and the mouth feel was significantly silkier and more satisfying, it definitely isn't filtered as much as the Black, the Black label seemed darn right watered down in comparison to the SB yet they have the same proofage.  What do you guys think?

Age isn't everything with color, that batch of black might have more bourbon from a higher floor of the rickhouse, and really no two barrels are the same, one thing is for certain, there is no coloring in it. Single Barrels also can vary wildly and the point in many ways is to find ones that are unique, so it's not really apples to apples to compare one to such a large batch product like EWB. 

Edited by kevinbrink

EW black is reputed to be 5 - 6 yo.  Used to have a 7 yr age statement that was dropped some years ago. So no way would HH be using 7+ yo barrels in their bottom of the line expression. 

Well, location of the barrel aside, though I would hope Heaven Hill would use barrels located higher in the rickhouse for Single Barrels, the difference isn't slight.  My cheap handle of EWB is plainly, obviously darker than this 7.5 year SB.  It's just something I would not have expected.

One thing is for sure... these 2 bourbons are way to close in quality to justify spending $30 for a 750ml of SB compared to a handle of Black for $16.  A handle at that price amounts to a 750ml costing $7.  $7 compared to $30? Haha, no thanks.  (Yes I'm very value oriented, hence my name).  I'll be sticking to Elijah Craig when I want a better expression of Heaven Hill's standard mashbill.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, BrokeCal said:

Well, location of the barrel aside, though I would hope Heaven Hill would use barrels located higher in the rickhouse for Single Barrels, the difference isn't slight.  My cheap handle of EWB is plainly, obviously darker than this 7.5 year SB.  It's just something I would not have expected.

Why would you hope that HH use upper floor barrels for the Single Barrel iteration?  

Has anyone had the 1783 recently? It was supposed to be a favorite of Parker. I also find EWB to be a great pour for its price and wondering if 1783 might be a small step up in quality? Haven’t had it in years.

I've tried of all EW's and my favorite is the Bottled in Bond White Label, then 1783, Single Barrel, and Black Label.  Contrarian, I know.

Edited by kaiserhog

I've tried of all EW's and my favorite is the Bottled in Bond White Label, then 1783, Single Barrel, and Black Label.  Contrarian, I know.

Sounds promising can’t really argue with this. Do wish they put the SB out at a higher proof. I have a bottle Parker’s 11th it’s supposed to have a 1783 profile, with more years and barrel proof.

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Has anyone had the 1783 recently? It was supposed to be a favorite of Parker. I also find EWB to be a great pour for its price and wondering if 1783 might be a small step up in quality? Haven’t had it in years.

Last one I bought was two or three years ago it is still here and still open, in that time I'm sure I've finished multiple bottles of all of the other EW bourbon's. 

15 hours ago, kaiserhog said:

Contrarian maybe but that would be my ranking too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, HoustonNit said:

Sounds promising can’t really argue with this. Do wish they put the SB out at a higher proof. I have a bottle Parker’s 11th it’s supposed to have a 1783 profile, with more years and barrel proof.

I always wondered why Single Barrel was only 90 proof.  I am not complaining though with 1.75 liter bottle of Bottled in Bond at $23 at my local liquor store.

Edited by kaiserhog

On 2/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, fosmith said:

Contrarian maybe but that would be my ranking too. 

I propose a toast of Bottled in Bond to all contrarians!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.