Jump to content
Brett

April 2019 trip

Recommended Posts

Brett

Got a visit scheduled for April 10-14. We currently plan on Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Four Rose's tours. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

 

Must buys while I visit? Any tours we should try to add? We will drive through Bardstown, stay in Frankfort and Louisville areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Got a visit scheduled for April 10-14. We currently plan on Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Four Rose's tours. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
 
Must buys while I visit? Any tours we should try to add? We will drive through Bardstown, stay in Frankfort and Louisville areas. 

If you waited another two weeks, you could hang out with many of us in Bardstown. Check out the Bourbon Social section of the forum and you’ll see the Sampler 2019 thread. In the mean time, if you’d like to discuss distillery visits, etc. we could probably meet somewhere for a drink and chat...might even get FacePlant to join us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

Since you're within minutes of each, I'd highly recommend at least a stop by the C & K and WT gift shops.  C & K is a stunning property for photo op's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett
On 3/4/2019 at 8:58 PM, lcpfratn said:


If you waited another two weeks, you could hang out with many of us in Bardstown. Check out the Bourbon Social section of the forum and you’ll see the Sampler 2019 thread. In the mean time, if you’d like to discuss distillery visits, etc. we could probably meet somewhere for a drink and chat...might even get FacePlant to join us.

Man, I wish I could. I have a friend coming in town from Idaho to visit with another one of our friends who is having their first baby soon. I told him we need to do this while he is already here. Would love to meet up some time for a drink though.  Would be great to meet other members.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bourbon Air Tours

We can get you an aerial tour of Bardstown distilleries if you have a spare hour while in Bardstown.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PowderKeg
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, Brett said:

Got a visit scheduled for April 10-14. We currently plan on Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Four Rose's tours. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

 

Must buys while I visit? Any tours we should try to add? We will drive through Bardstown, stay in Frankfort and Louisville areas. 

You wouldn't be planning on Thunder Over Louisville too, are you?  I've got virtually the identical plan - 10th-14th, stay in Lex and L-ville, hit BT, WR, C&K, several others.  All day Sat on the Ohio with a couple early L-ville tours before Thunder kicks off.

 

Consider taking some BIBs home - New Riff especially, but also bottom shelf (in price only) JW Dant, JTS Brown.  Check home pricing on a few of your favorites, you might find L-ville/Lex Total Wine pricing $5-10 or more cheaper.  Multiple Liquor Barn stops can be worthwhile too, but usually a few dollars more than TW - TW has limited-if-any BT products.

Edited by PowderKeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
On 3/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, Brett said:

Got a visit scheduled for April 10-14. We currently plan on Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Four Rose's tours. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

 

Must buys while I visit? Any tours we should try to add? We will drive through Bardstown, stay in Frankfort and Louisville areas. 

We'll be there too.   Just ask, at the distilleries, if they have anything that's only available there, or in Kentucky.   I cannot recommend the fireworks for Thunder highly enough.  You will love them.     If you're staying downtown, near the river, you can walk there. 

On 3/9/2019 at 1:42 PM, PowderKeg said:

You wouldn't be planning on Thunder Over Louisville too, are you?  I've got virtually the identical plan - 10th-14th, stay in Lex and L-ville, hit BT, WR, C&K, several others.  All day Sat on the Ohio with a couple early L-ville tours before Thunder kicks off.

 

Consider taking some BIBs home - New Riff especially, but also bottom shelf (in price only) JW Dant, JTS Brown.  Check home pricing on a few of your favorites, you might find L-ville/Lex Total Wine pricing $5-10 or more cheaper.  Multiple Liquor Barn stops can be worthwhile too, but usually a few dollars more than TW - TW has limited-if-any BT products.

We'll be there at the same time.   This is our 2nd trip in 2 years.    Last April we hit Maker's, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams, Stitzel-Weller, Jeptha Creed, Angel's Envy, 4 Roses, Barton and Town Branch.

 

  We snagged bottles that were only supposed to be available at the distilleries, or in Kentucky.   I bought, and dipped, a bottle of Makers White Whiskey, rinsed and watched my own bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel  get filled, then stuck my thumb-print in the wax seal, (corny, but a neat souvenir), bought some Old Tub at Beam, some Mckenna 10-year at Evan Williams, (the distiller was there signing bottles), a few bottles of HHBIB, (wish I had bought a case now), 4RSB, (supposedly hand-selected for sale at the distillery only), same deal at Barton.

 

This time around we're mixing in the ponies...Sun Valley Farm, Churchill Downs & Keeneland.  For bourbon, we're taking the Brown Foreman Cooperage tour, Heaven Hill Connoisseur Experience Tasting, Willet, Barton, (tasting only), Old Forester, James E. Pepper, Castle & Key, and may squeeze in a couple more, time permitting.

 

We skipped Thunder last year, except for the fireworks, which were exceptional.  It was, hands-down, the best fireworks show that we've ever seen.    We have the same plan this year, touring distilleries during the day, then watching the fireworks at night.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett
11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We'll be there too.   Just ask, at the distilleries, if they have anything that's only available there, or in Kentucky.   I cannot recommend the fireworks for Thunder highly enough.  You will love them.     If you're staying downtown, near the river, you can walk there. 

We'll be there at the same time.   This is our 2nd trip in 2 years.    Last April we hit Maker's, Beam, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams, Stitzel-Weller, Jeptha Creed, Angel's Envy, 4 Roses, Barton and Town Branch.

 

  We snagged bottles that were only supposed to be available at the distilleries, or in Kentucky.   I bought, and dipped, a bottle of Makers White Whiskey, rinsed and watched my own bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel  get filled, then stuck my thumb-print in the wax seal, (corny, but a neat souvenir), bought some Old Tub at Beam, some Mckenna 10-year at Evan Williams, (the distiller was there signing bottles), a few bottles of HHBIB, (wish I had bought a case now), 4RSB, (supposedly hand-selected for sale at the distillery only), same deal at Barton.

 

This time around we're mixing in the ponies...Sun Valley Farm, Churchill Downs & Keeneland.  For bourbon, we're taking the Brown Foreman Cooperage tour, Heaven Hill Connoisseur Experience Tasting, Willet, Barton, (tasting only), Old Forester, James E. Pepper, Castle & Key, and may squeeze in a couple more, time permitting.

 

We skipped Thunder last year, except for the fireworks, which were exceptional.  It was, hands-down, the best fireworks show that we've ever seen.    We have the same plan this year, touring distilleries during the day, then watching the fireworks at night.    

Thanks! Appreciate the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...