Jump to content
Bret Bret

How many bottles of whiskey do you have open?

Recommended Posts

flahute
On 4/10/2019 at 4:57 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I am starting to think the opposite in re: oxygen exposure.  I generally find that the final sips of most pours are the best , from the nose to the palate and mouthfeel through to the finish.  I also tend to think that bottles start to "open up" after being cracked. and given some time to rest  Unfortunately, this runs entirely opposite with my opening/rapidly drinking bottles and not leaving many to "air out"  I am curious to see what I end up doing once I end up with a larger bar and more space for bottles.   

I think the topic of oxidation is a very nuanced one and that the discussions here (and elsewhere) tend to focus too much on the question of yes or no which then gets applied to all situations.

Do we know that oxidation happens? Yes. Nancy talks about the oxidative process that happens in the barrel and how important that is to the maturation of the whiskey and for slowly removing some of the off putting flavors.

 

Most of us have also experienced falling asleep with a small amount of whiskey still in the glass and find the next morning that it's turned cloudy. Oxidation, evaporation.

Whiskey in a sealed bottle is a different matter of course. Every time you pour, a small amount of of oxygen is introduced but it only gets to interact with a small surface area in the bottle, and, it's a limited supply. Is it enough to notice? Wade did some experiments and the answer was no. Breaking Bourbon did their 24 month experiment with various fill levels and different storage conditions. They found that very slight differences were possible depending on the situation. Nothing extreme however.

This is why many of us here believe that the "air time" and "open up" comments are not rooted in scientifically verifiable situations. It's most likely explained by palate variation.

 

The only example I personally know of where oxidation was the likely culprit was a co-worker's bottle of OFBB. I have bottles of the same year bought at the same time as his so I know what it tastes like. His bottle was more than half empty and sat for a couple years in a cool dark place. It became undrinkable. Those squat wide bottles offer up a large surface area for interaction to occur. 

So, even though I'm a skeptic, I'm at least not going to let a similar thing happen to any future bottle of OFBB that I open.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, flahute said:

I

     * * * * *

 

Most of us have also experienced falling asleep with a small amount of whiskey still in the glass and find the next morning that it's turned cloudy. Oxidation, evaporation.

 

     * * * * *

    
I'm also amazed at the variation in flavors when I taste them in the AM.  Some of them are drinkable, some are exquisite, and some have little fruit flies.  I think all that variation, including the flies, is influenced by oxygen.:o

 

EDIT - BY THE WAY --

While waiting for the Pitt @ Nats game to start in spite of the drizzle and sipping on some newly opened OGD BIB, I searched SB for “oxidation” and came up with lots of threads; the following threads have good info so I listed them and included when they were active.  [Capitalization and spelling errors have NOT been changed – these ARE the topic titles.]

Flavor Change of Opened Bottles (mid-2018)

Bourbon+Air+Time=??? (mid-2018)

Effect of sunlight, air, and temp on open bourbons (late-2018)

Has anyone experimented with miniature barrels? (late-2017)

A few Question about opened bottles (mid-2015)

Does a bottle change after opening? (late-2017)  

 

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

This is my 2 oldest open bottles. PH was opened in 2010 when I bought it, and M20y was opened in 2014 when it came out that year (opened it at the LS). And both are still fantastic. I have not noticed a drop off in flavor. 

6A270D6B-FB09-48E9-AFB5-6FAC6B285D63.thumb.jpeg.699ae824dd41ceba7a68820e6f58debb.jpeg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazz June

While I can believe that the effects I perceive after a year or less of being open are just my perception varying, I did have a bottle of Scotch go pretty bad. It was a quarter full after being open for two days and then sat for 8 or so years (properly stored). While I finished it eventually, when I returned to it, I was very disappointed.

 

Another bottle of Scotch hit the bin tonight, so down to 42 opens (34 bourbons, 4 ryes, a Tennessee, an American malt, a Canadian, and a blended scotch for mixing). Of these, the longest open is a bottle of Pikesville opened on September 13, 2017. Just not my favorite thing neat, but it makes a good Manhattan.

 

I definitely go through phases where I have good willpower to drink down the opens, but then I slip and all of a sudden 10 more bottles are open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharger

 

44 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

While I can believe that the effects I perceive after a year or less of being open are just my perception varying, I did have a bottle of Scotch go pretty bad. It was a quarter full after being open for two days and then sat for 8 or so years (properly stored). While I finished it eventually, when I returned to it, I was very disappointed.

 

Another bottle of Scotch hit the bin tonight, so down to 42 opens (34 bourbons, 4 ryes, a Tennessee, an American malt, a Canadian, and a blended scotch for mixing). Of these, the longest open is a bottle of Pikesville opened on September 13, 2017. Just not my favorite thing neat, but it makes a good Manhattan.

 

I definitely go through phases where I have good willpower to drink down the opens, but then I slip and all of a sudden 10 more bottles are open.

 

First, what is “properly stored” just cool, dry, and dark?

 

Second, a lot happens in eight years. I feel that whiskey tastes different day to day sometimes, but I know it’s more likely my palate than te juice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
11 hours ago, Supercharger said:

 

 

First, what is “properly stored” just cool, dry, and dark?

 

 Basically it's upright and out of direct sunlight. 

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

I sometimes take samples from freshly opened bottles and do SBS with the last drop from the same oxidized bottle. No ground shattering difference, but it does change, often for the better. I wouldn't worry about it, and focus on enjoying whatever's in the glass. 8 years is a long time though, my max was ~3yr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
On 4/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, LCWoody said:

This is my 2 oldest open bottles. PH was opened in 2010 when I bought it, and M20y was opened in 2014 when it came out that year (opened it at the LS). And both are still fantastic. I have not noticed a drop off in flavor. 

6A270D6B-FB09-48E9-AFB5-6FAC6B285D63.thumb.jpeg.699ae824dd41ceba7a68820e6f58debb.jpeg

Do you gas them, or just cork it and put away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody
7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Do you gas them, or just cork it and put away?

Just put the cork back in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FatherOfPugs

Currently I've got 21 different bottles open. I like to have choices, hope to be able to add a few more to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses

About 5. I give quite a few away to a “needy” friend after im unimpressed or have had enough. Also like to finish one before moving on usually. Probably bad habits but he benefits greatly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

I presently have eighteen bottles open. This is about five or six more than usual. Part of the reason is three family sized bottles I now have open. Four if you count the family sized JD that I’ve had open for years. (long story) I’ve also had a tendency to open newly purchased bottles as of late. Hence the three different BT’s currently on my open shelf. :)

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bayouredd

I seem to stay in the 15 range with all being a particular choice on any given day. I have dwindled down to 10 but that doesn't last as mood dictates all. 10 doesn't seem to cover all moods... Hell, I don't even know why! Food seems to be the same for me. I just want something waaaaay  different, some days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...