Michter's Barrel Strenght Rye Special Release 2019

Oli77
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well here goes nothing, this is my first review on SB and I am a newb with about 20 posts here. 

Yesterday several LS in KY made some offerings for those wiling to wait out in the rain for a couple of hours. 

I picked up this Michter's for $89. Pricey. Better be good.

It's a 108.4 proof. 

Nose was sweet and strong of alcohol, but I just openned it, so i waited a bit.

After a while: creamy, sweet  a little, floral, Willett-like at first. Then Caramel, leather. finish... a bit of alcoholic and burning and dry.  Finish is harsh for me on first opening.

Got  a few more swigs. 

Finish is long, a bit of wood, this is going to be much much better with some air. Give it a few week. It's a winner I feel.

I would put is between my Willett 4yo and my 10 yo whistlepig store pick.

After a while, I will comment further once the bottle opens up.

Cheers

83527e2e-7f2a-48a3-a156-b64a61dd9a80.jpg

• I like it 2

Good job, look forward to hearing more over time!

Above Willet and below the WP pick? Or vice versa?

Below Willett for sure. Will have to come back to you with respect to WP... Need more time

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit more sampling, i find a very very close resemblance to Pikesville. Both very good up front, sugar, vanilla, wood, then coffee i think, floral too. The last 20 s fade pretty quickly. It's a good rye.

The alcohol is not so strong anymore. Very balanced bottle.

• 3 months later...

Came back to this this past weekend now that 1/2 the bottle is gone ?.

I haven't read my initial comments (posted initially in April) since I posted them.

September: It is very sweet up front and has a caramel or even a maple syrup quality/ smell.

Great balance and depth with the rye coming in strong, the wood  underneath and a long finish. 

I like it a lot.

Edited by Oli77

• 4 months later...

Don't mind me as I am obviously still wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to tasting whiskies. 

Last pour I had of this was sweet up front but had a lingering aftertaste of chemical substance I couldn't identify.

No liking it so much anymore.

Carry on...

I have barrel #19C385 (111.6p) open and I like it. Its a very good rye. They very a little but good shit to me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.