My, "I will drink these before I die" bottles.

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'd like to say "All of them I currently own!"  Although that would require death to be accommodating to my schedule (I may need more time!)

I can honestly say that I've probably already drank the highest quality bottles I've ever owned (or at least drank them before).  But if I had X months to live - my SB picks of HHSS would be high on my list to enjoy!

Nice Jeff. Very nice. See you in Bardstown this week?

Biba? Joe

Impressive. Love that SB.COM  23 yr old.

These kind of things always get me. A few years back I was nearing the end of a bottle of Highland Park 30 year old (a personal all time favorite) at the same time a buddy was looking at a couple of Opus X Churchill’s that he had laid down for something like 14 years. We’d agreed to pair them on New Years Day in his back yard (this was in mid October I think). His wife freaks out and says “but you could die before then!” While technically true, neither of us were in bad health. But her point was taken. We ended up waiting until 1/1 but the whole thing stuck with me. Generally, since then I’ve tried really hard not to hold onto bottles like that and any left when I go with make for a helluva wake.

So to answer the OP question, all of them.

• I like it 4

Also, I’ve been fortunate enough to taste two of those four so what the hell are you waiting for!

Thankfully, I have opened bottles of all of these before, except the Blue Smoke. I'm most excited to try the 12yo rye again. Maybe on my son's 21st. Just 10 more years and counting!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nice Jeff. Very nice. See you in Bardstown this week?

Biba? Joe

I wish. Maybe next year... 

46 minutes ago, BigRich said:

was looking at a couple of Opus X Churchill’s that he had laid down for something like 14 years. 

Whoa nostalgia. The cigars that I have personally aged the longest are a couple Opus X Reserva de Chateau which are the churchill size I believe. Bought them in 2006 so pretty close to 14 years!

Given my family history on the male side, I'm about ten years past the age at which we break even (i.e., dead/not dead).  Hence, I have no particular label I'd turn to if faced with the inevitable.  Rather, I'll continue to look at them all and ask myself, "OK - Which one do I want to drink tonight?" Few are off the list.

EDIT - "if faced with" really means "if I truly accepted the presence of"

ANOTHER EDIT - The "few off the list" are the bunker clunkers and the hard-to-finds for which I lack a spare and have not yet found a substitute.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

. . . a buddy was looking at a couple of Opus X Churchill’s that he had laid down for something like 14 years.

9 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Whoa nostalgia. The cigars that I have personally aged the longest are a couple Opus X Reserva de Chateau which are the churchill size I believe. Bought them in 2006 so pretty close to 14 years!

Wait . . . I feel like I've been doing this all wrong now.  Should I be laying down some high-quality wood-tipped beauties for future use?

• I like it 2

I have been considering this issue for a while now, and have finally concluded that ALL my whiskey will either be drunk by me, my baby boy and/or somebody else (friends, family, and acquaintances)... eventually. 

That said, I suppose I am unlikely to consume more than about half of what I currently have in stock before I shuffle off this mortal coil; but don't have any particular bottles that are sacrosanct, nor any are 'investments for profit'.

• I like it 1

For me it will be a bottle of seventies-vintage Wild Turkey Rye,  distilled in Maryland.   I found two bottles of this years ago, and drank the one.   Simply wonderful, and a time capsule of a classic style that can never be replicated.

I'm curious if someone more knowledgible than me about the history of WT and Maryland distilling might know who may have made this for WT.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

Wait . . . I feel like I've been doing this all wrong now.  Should I be laying down some high-quality wood-tipped beauties for future use?

No. The particular essential oils infused to your wood tipped beauties are so rare and volatile that you would be smoking them right out of the plastic. You know....because of the high quality.....and degradation....and stuff.
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

No. The particular essential oils infused to your wood tipped beauties are so rare and volatile that you would be smoking them right out of the plastic. You know....because of the high quality.....and degradation....and stuff.

That's a relief!!  Thanks for easing my mind ;)  

By the way - under the "drink before I die" - bringing my last Macallan CS to the West Wing tomorrow.  Ya know - just in case (better safe than sorry!)

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, BigRich said:

So, does this mean I should go ahead and smoke up my Garcia y Vega Games (Grape flavor) from circa 2009?

So, does this mean I should go ahead and smoke up my Garcia y Vega Games (Grape flavor) from circa 2009?

Nope. The grape has a specific tannic tenacity that ages well.
  • I like it 1

already drank all of yours plus anything else worth a shit; guess I'm ready to go.

• I like it 3

On 4/24/2019 at 7:19 AM, Jazzhead said:

For me it will be a bottle of seventies-vintage Wild Turkey Rye,  distilled in Maryland.   I found two bottles of this years ago, and drank the one.   Simply wonderful, and a time capsule of a classic style that can never be replicated.

I'm curious if someone more knowledgible than me about the history of WT and Maryland distilling might know who may have made this for WT.

Id like to hear the story behind this as well. How long did they get their rye from MD ?

12 hours ago, wadewood said:

already drank all of yours plus anything else worth a shit; guess I'm ready to go.

HEEHEEHEE!!  Now officially entered onto list for Post of the Year!  :D

• I like it 3

Yours?

20170609_055138.thumb.jpg.5ed46c2bb89a4b0c40c3d4942fffeafb.jpg

I worked on the 7th floor above Blue Smoke until I left NYC in 2004. I went there pretty often. At the time I’d moved on from bourbon to scotch and don’t remember drinking whiskey there. Missed opportunities.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.