Mashbill #2 Tasting

dwolf
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have information on what makes the different BT mash bill #2 products taste different. I'm guessing a bunch of you have been to the distillery and have inside information. I sent the email below to buffalo trace, but have yet to hear back. I'm planning on tasting blind and then we can discuss why they are different. Thanks!

Hi Buffalo Trace,

Our Bourbon Society is conducting a BT Mashbill #2 tasting at our next meeting May 14th. I was wondering if you could provide me any information to help conduct the educational portion of the meeting? Really anything you can tell me as to why these whiskeys taste different even though they are the same mash bill. Age, warehouse, where/how they are stored, filtration, oak, entry proof, water source etc. ?

Any other tips to making the tasting a success? My plan is to conduct the tasting blind.

Blanton's . 93 proof
Warehouse H - metal.

Elmer T. Lee. 90 proof
Warehouse D - brick wall and concrete floors.

Rock Hill Farms. 100 proof.

Hancock's Presidential. 88.9 proof.

Rickhouse location makes all the difference. The master distiller knows where to find the barrels that equate to a given flavor profile.

Slightly higher rye content in #2 but both are small percentages compared to most other bourbons.

Rickhouse location and location in the rickhouse is how BT gets all their different profiles.

Thanks! Do you have any information as to which Ricks and what location the different products come from? And how the conditions impact the flavor? I know Blanton's comes from Warehouse H that is metal, so it has more temperature variation. I think it might only be 4 rows tall too. Elmer T Lee is brick rickhouse with concrete floors so it has less variation. 

From what I understand, they use the same yeast strain for all of their products... So with same mash bill, the flavors would have to come from rick house locations, different barrel char and entry proofs?

18 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

From what I understand, they use the same yeast strain for all of their products... So with same mash bill, the flavors would have to come from rick house locations, different barrel char and entry proofs?

The only entry proof variation is between wheated bourbons and rye recipe bourbons. Char all the same. It's all about location.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.