We need a new Bourbon for our Club

TomWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

I would think about having a theme. Instead Of just one bottle maybe have 3. Here are some examples:

BIB - Four Roses Single Barrel, 1897 Old Forester and EH Taylor if it me easy to find or Henry McKenna

Rye Night - Rittenhouse, OF Rye, Saz if you can find or Knob Creek Rye.

Budget Bourbons - Evan Williams BIB or Black, Old Grand Dad and Very Old Barton BIB.

Like others said, vary the distilleries like I did above. You guys will have a blast!

Not to nit-pick..but 4RSB is not BIB, is it?  I suppose it qualifies and could be.

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Not to nit-pick..but 4RSB is not BIB, is it?  I suppose it qualifies and could be.

I had a topic on that a while back. I believe the consensus was that it met the criteria of BIB however it’s not stated on the Bottle. 1792 BIB would be another for the lineup.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

If they blend barrels from different distilling seasons it wouldn't qualify.

• I like it 2

If they blend barrels from different distilling seasons it wouldn't qualify.

Well, since it’s a single barrel product that isn’t likely to happen. You may have assumed the abbreviation was referring to the small batch.

30 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, since it’s a single barrel product that isn’t likely to happen. You may have assumed the abbreviation was referring to the small batch.

Lesson is; first engage brain before posting...  :P

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Ok, second chance...  Maybe it's not aged in a bonded warehouse???  :wacko:

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

9 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I had a topic on that a while back. I believe the consensus was that it met the criteria of BIB however it’s not stated on the Bottle. 1792 BIB would be another for the lineup.

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Ok, second chance...  Maybe it's not aged in a bonded warehouse???  :wacko:

I asked Jim Rutledge about this last year and he told me that the only keeping them from being BIB was dedicating part of a finished goods warehouse as bonded and keeping things locked up.

Regarding the bonded warehouse - that happens digitally these days so all warehouses can be bonded.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I asked Jim Rutledge about this last year and he told me that the only keeping them from being BIB was dedicating part of a finished goods warehouse as bonded and keeping things locked up.

Regarding the bonded warehouse - that happens digitally these days so all warehouses can be bonded.

That makes so much sense. In my mind I always pictured these BIB whiskeys being aged in some covert, government managed facility. Of course that would be ridiculous, so the designated, locked up area thing makes a lot more sense. Though it begs the question, isn't all bourbon aging in warehouses locked up?

As to the thread, I second Russell's Reserve 10. There's so many other good options that it's hard to list them all, but RR10, Eagle Rare, and Henry McKenna are all good options to get you going.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Rather, try LOTS of stuff but think about what you smell and taste.  Remember, practice makes perfect.  And, Mako knows what he's talking about; his advice is solid, too.

What aid should I use to begin this journey? Is there somewhere on this forum or that free blog you mentioned that could help educate me, and maybe my club?  How can we learn more about what we are drinking and how to pickup on different tastes, rather than simply drinking for enjoyment?

On 4/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, Mako254 said:

So, if you see it at a fair price, give it a try but realize there sre other quality bottles at same price point. 

We have quite a few friends splitting the cost, so we wouldn’t mind spending a little more on a suggested bottle, but so far I think the most expensive bottle we had was $75.  We’d be willing to pay something in the neighborhood of $100 if it came highly recommend, though most of our bottles have been in the $25-$55 range I believe.  It’s a new club so we haven’t had too many bottles yet. 

21 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I’ll second that. Glad to see @squire posting as well. 

Also, @TomWoody how much are you comfortable spending?

((keep in mind that increasing cost doesn’t necessarily mean increasing quality. Often, the opposite). 

For now we wouldn’t go too much over the $100 mark.  

16 minutes ago, TomWoody said:

We have quite a few friends splitting the cost, so we wouldn’t mind spending a little more on a suggested bottle, but so far I think the most expensive bottle we had was $75.  We’d be willing to pay something in the neighborhood of $100 if it came highly recommend, though most of our bottles have been in the $25-$55 range I believe.  It’s a new club so we haven’t had too many bottles yet. 

I didn’t read through the whole thread so it may have been mentioned but I would recommend working towards higher proof in your journey and not thinking you have to drink barrel proof or even high proof.

If if you really want to drink high proof be prepared to add some water. For that matter be prepared to add some water to lower proof if it burns.... Water not only helps bring out other flavors but it takes some time to break down the “wall”. Wall = tasting something other than fire. 

Im glad to hear you are starting with the price range you have. I think the sub  $45 core expressions from the major distilleries will help you decide what you like.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I think Every warehouse Is bonded... Right?

7 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

That makes so much sense. In my mind I always pictured these BIB whiskeys being aged in some covert, government managed facility. Of course that would be ridiculous, so the designated, locked up area thing makes a lot more sense. Though it begs the question, isn't all bourbon aging in warehouses locked up?

As to the thread, I second Russell's Reserve 10. There's so many other good options that it's hard to list them all, but RR10, Eagle Rare, and Henry McKenna are all good options to get you going.

Yes.

7 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes. Jim was referring to finished goods, not aging barrels. 

If you all decide to go down the BT trail, there's always Weller Special Reserve, over-priced as it is but I guess that is what it is.  If you can find it for around $40, consider it but anything more and you are just getting gouged.

I think it was squire that asked about your location. I'll ask again. Where are you from?  If we knew where you lived, there's a chance that we might be able to help you out a little more. The availability of some items differs in some regions of the country.

Biba! Joe

It really just depends on your experience level as a group. There have been several great ideas mentioned already. 

I’ll take the newbie approach. If you are new to drinking bourbon neat, I would consider the following. 

1) build up to proof. There is no shame in drinking sub 90pf bourbon. I do it regularly. I also love 120+ stuff too. I had to build my palette up to it though, so you will have to push yourself at times to get there. 

2) start with the major distillers. Typically, the NDP products are more expensive because you are paying for another layer in distribution. That doesn’t mean NDP products are bad. Not at all. But you can keep your budget lower with the big guys. This also means your misses won’t sting as much. Once you get your bourbon legs you’ll feel more comfortable about what NDP’s to try. 

3) start off with lower rye recipes. Wheat and low rye tend to be more approachable. You should be able to venture into the higher rye stuff quickly. I noticed you said Blanton’s was already done, but that’s a very approachable high rye. 

4) research, research, research. There are some great review blogs out there and threads here. You started a thread for this topic, but don’t be shy to start others if a search doesn’t get you the answers you’re looking for. YouTube also has some great content. I would also try to note who seems to like what you like, everyone’s palette is different and constantly evolving. 

There are always going to be exceptions to the above. So keep an open mind in your journey. It sounds like you may be further than new, so just push yourself down the curve a little further. 

Some of my picks for newer guys guys would be the Heaven Hill lineup. 1783, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams Single Barrel. Evan Williams BiB and McKenna BiB for 100pf sipping.  WT101 and Knob Creek are usually great once you’ve been sipping a while. I also really like the Old Forrester 100. These all should be $30 or less, except McKenna BiB is variable, as is its consistency these days. 

Edited by alcoholica
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I think it was squire that asked about your location. I'll ask again. Where are you from?  If we knew where you lived, there's a chance that we might be able to help you out a little more. The availability of some items differs in some regions of the country.

Biba! Joe

On 4/29/2019 at 9:58 AM, squire said:

I was just temporarily spirited away.

Back on topic, if the OP could make up a list of which Bourbons are easily available in his club's area I expect we all could opine more specifically.

Southern PA, about 10-15 min from MD

9 hours ago, alcoholica said:

It really just depends on your experience level as a group. There have been several great ideas mentioned already. 

I’ll take the newbie approach. If you are new to drinking bourbon neat, I would consider the following. 

1) build up to proof. There is no shame in drinking sub 90pf bourbon. I do it regularly. I also love 120+ stuff too. I had to build my palette up to it though, so you will have to push yourself at times to get there. 

2) start with the major distillers. Typically, the NDP products are more expensive because you are paying for another layer in distribution. That doesn’t mean NDP products are bad. Not at all. But you can keep your budget lower with the big guys. This also means your misses won’t sting as much. Once you get your bourbon legs you’ll feel more comfortable about what NDP’s to try. 

3) start off with lower rye recipes. Wheat and low rye tend to be more approachable. You should be able to venture into the higher rye stuff quickly. I noticed you said Blanton’s was already done, but that’s a very approachable high rye. 

4) research, research, research. There are some great review blogs out there and threads here. You started a thread for this topic, but don’t be shy to start others if a search doesn’t get you the answers you’re looking for. YouTube also has some great content. I would also try to note who seems to like what you like, everyone’s palette is different and constantly evolving. 

There are always going to be exceptions to the above. So keep an open mind in your journey. It sounds like you may be further than new, so just push yourself down the curve a little further. 

Some of my picks for newer guys guys would be the Heaven Hill lineup. 1783, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams Single Barrel. Evan Williams BiB and McKenna BiB for 100pf sipping.  WT101 and Knob Creek are usually great once you’ve been sipping a while. I also really like the Old Forrester 100. These all should be $30 or less, except McKenna BiB is variable, as is its consistency these days. 

This is so great, thank you

• I like it 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:07 AM, TomWoody said:

What aid should I use to begin this journey? Is there somewhere on this forum or that free blog you mentioned that could help educate me, and maybe my club?  How can we learn more about what we are drinking and how to pickup on different tastes, rather than simply drinking for enjoyment?

I'll add just one recommendation to the VERY thoughtful list offered by alcoholica: Slow Down! 

Take lots of time with the journey, and enjoy all the stops and pauses along the way.    Remember this: The Journey IS The Destination. 

By these comments I mean take every part of it slowly.   Admiring the color of the pour is a gratifying experience, if you allow it to be so.     Inspecting the legs as they descend the sides of the glass can be wonderfully instructional, if you take the several minutes to allow 'em to happen.      Nosing or sniffing isn't a matter of seconds, it's better accomplished over a few minutes, and often leads to a greater appreciation of the flavors as you find ones you are lead to expect by the aromas; and as ones that show up unexpectedly make themselves known.    Finally, tasting in the mouth; different parts of that pie-hole can find various differences not immediately obvious to the front, back or sides of the tongue.

So.... Slow it all down, TW and really explore and enjoy the experiences.    And, speaking of those 'experiences'... sharing and comparing the drams with friends raises the satisfaction level exponentially; for me at any rate.

• I like it 1

I'll emphasize what Adam777 said, look to have more than one at a time.  Not necessarily all the time, but it is very important to do side-by-side comparisons, both blind and knowing what's in the glass, to really draw out the differences between the various releases.    You can do fun things like compare BIB/100/101 proof releases from different distilleries, or wheated VS regular mash, or 10 year VS standard release. Lots of fun and learning when you have multiple Glencarrins in front of you.

18 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

I'll emphasize what Adam777 said, look to have more than one at a time.  Not necessarily all the time, but it is very important to do side-by-side comparisons, both blind and knowing what's in the glass, to really draw out the differences between the various releases.    You can do fun things like compare BIB/100/101 proof releases from different distilleries, or wheated VS regular mash, or 10 year VS standard release. Lots of fun and learning when you have multiple Glencarrins in front of you.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, Adam777 said:

I would think about having a theme. Instead Of just one bottle maybe have 3. Here are some examples:

BIB - Four Roses Single Barrel, 1897 Old Forester and EH Taylor if it me easy to find or Henry McKenna

Rye Night - Rittenhouse, OF Rye, Saz if you can find or Knob Creek Rye.

Budget Bourbons - Evan Williams BIB or Black, Old Grand Dad and Very Old Barton BIB.

Like others said, vary the distilleries like I did above. You guys will have a blast!

Great idea.  

Can anyone suggest which we compare first? 

In my line of work I do tastings for multiple whisk(e)y clubs in SC. Actually there are more single malt clubs than there are bourbon clubs. Most of them have everyone bring a bottle - or part of a bottle for all to try. You invariably end up with stuff that many have not had. If you do this challenge each person to do a little research about the distillery (if there is one) and the particular bottle they are bringing.  Mash bill, char level, age, warehousing, history etc. etc. As you go along your pallets will develop further and you can take the research and begin determining why you are tasting what you're tasting. Make sure you have good glassware as that definitely makes a difference. Also maybe look into picking up some water dropper bottles and put in spring water. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.