Bourbon Carbs and Sugar

Carnagusfarnbuckler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I have found that pork rinds go great with bourbon.

That they do, my friend.  

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

Actually, your body does not convert alcohol into fat, at least not readily, and only in a situation of excessive calorie overload. However, because your body your sees alcohol as a toxin, the liver processes alcohol as a priority over carbs, fats, and proteins. Since alcohol is empty as far as calories go, it just burns off as energy. Because the body stops processing the other nutrients, and the alcohol takes care of energy needs, the body will convert and store the excess. This is why any alcohol is a no-no if you are doing keto. 

I love it when you talk dirty!!!   ?

• I like it 1

So ultimately, no drinking when on keto? I am just looking at starting it and love my whisky in moderation of course.

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

So ultimately, no drinking when on keto? I am just looking at starting it and love my whisky in moderation of course.

My experience is that I've been fine with bourbon while on keto. I've lost 21 lbs since January and due to regular exercise I've added some muscle and not lost any.

If you keep it moderation, you should be fine. If you hit any plateaus in your weight loss (and you will) drop the bourbon for a bit until you get traction again.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, flahute said:

My experience is that I've been fine with bourbon while on keto. I've lost 21 lbs since January and due to regular exercise I've added some muscle and not lost any.

If you keep it moderation, you should be fine. If you hit any plateaus in your weight loss (and you will) drop the bourbon for a bit until you get traction again.

I do the same.  I have noticed that when I drink bourbon on the weekend I may gain about 1-2 pounds but quickly bounce back in a couple of days.

17 hours ago, BigPapa said:

I would wait until you are a few weeks into your keto diet before drinking bourbon again. Everyone gets into ketoosis at a different rate. 

Lots of pertinent and good info. I've been doing keto for 2 years; I'm a type 2 diabetic and it keeps me off meds. Technically, my HA1C is back to normal levels, so I guess I'm only prediabetic? Whatever keeps my insurance lower, lol.

Anyway, everyone is different. I normally have a few drinks, a few nights a week. I'm not concerned with weight loss, I'm concerned with HA1C & blood glucose control. The biggest risk with drinking while on keto is hypoglycemia and that's something you need to keep track of.

Know your body, know your limits.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.