Elijah Craig 18 YO vs. Sazerac Rye

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I purchased for the first time a bottle of EC 18 (Barrel # 901 bottled on 2-18-03). I'm very fond of EC 12 and wanted try the 18. My initial taste immediately reminded me of Sazerac Rye 18 YO (the fall 2003 bottling).

So, tonight I poured a side by side for comparison. The color, almost identical, proof both 90, nose is very similar - to me very floral. The taste is sweet, very sweet, too sweet; oily and fruity.

I would not be able to pick these two apart in a blind taste test. I know several who are down on the EC 18; I'm wondering if you feel the same about the Sazerac Rye?

Overall, I think both are pleasant, but just to un-bourbon like for my everyday taste.

Although I haven't had enough of the Sazerac to address your comparison, I think what it amounts to is that you are tasting so much wood at that point that anything aged 18 years in new charred oak will probably taste pretty similar, regardless of what it tasted like originally.

I like the EC18 precisely because it does challenge what you think bourbon should taste like, while still being enjoyable.

Very interesting comparison. Inspires me to start checking out some rye vs bourbon in blind sampling. Oh, lordie, more excuses to drink...

• 1 month later...

I love EC 12YO but have not purchased the 18 because I'm sure it will be too woody for my tastes. The 12 YO is about perfect. I would like to try some at 15 just to see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.