Best Value Bourbon 2019

alcoholica
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The term value is thrown around a lot, and for good reason. Everyone's budget and passion for bourbon differs as much as palettes. So I thought this would be an interesting discussion to have where value is the focal point and not a side comment or discussion.  For my list, I decided to use TotalWines Lexington site for prices, since it's a big box in KY with a good website. Feel free to use your local prices, if you'd like. Let use pre-tax limits (for 750ml) of $15, $25, $45 and $65, with no more than 3 per category, along with an overall winner.  Bourbons should be readily available.  

$15

• EW BiB
  • HH Green Label 6yo
  • Beam Repeal Batch

$25

• 1783 EW
  • Elijah Craig
  • WT 101
  • For those with BT availability or pricing for EC, honorable mention to EW SiB

$45

•  KC SiB
  • WR Rare Breed
  • Eagle Rare
  • HM10yr BiB prior to supply issues

$65

• EC BP
  • Russell's SiB

Overall best value - WT 101

• I like it 3

Nice analysis.  

In my market in Texas here are the ones I consider the best values among readily available bourbons, in no certain order.  I won't delve into the "premium" products like Rare Breed, KCSiB or RR because those are more open to personal preferences at higher price points.

- EW BIB $13

- BT $20-$22

- WT101 $20-22

- KC 100 $25-$30

- WSR $18-$20

• I like it 1

Dang, Texas prices are awesome. Here’s Ohio control state value bourbons where I do most of my shopping:

OGDBIB - $20.99

OF Signature - $20.69

BT - $25.10

WSR: $22.99

WT101 - $23.99

EWBIB - $17.99

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

Dang, Texas prices are awesome.

Prices aren't the only thing that's awesome about this place.

• I like it 3

Prices are inflated here so somewhat moot.. I do see a recurring theme though.. I’ll echo the values here on:

EWBIB

EWSiB

KC100

WT101

and throw in ECSmB which is a good buy here at a shade less then $30. 

If you shop at my favorite two LS in So. Cal. Then the value bourbons are...

EC $19.99

WT101 $14.99 750ml / $28.99 Handle

BT $21.99

WR $23.99

• I like it 1

OP, I think you've put together a nice list.

I'd add:

RR10yr-$30

4R SiB -$33

VOB BIB (crafted?) $15

• I like it 1

At the Va ABC we can get these all day long:

VOB 100 $13.99

OGD BIB $23.99 (on sale this month for $21.99)

WT 101 $26.99 (on sale this month for $24.99) 

(Put a few Ryes in there)

$15

• EW BiB

$25

• Elijah Craig SB
  • WT 101
  • OGD114
  • OF Sig 100
  • OF Rye

$45

• WT Rare Breed
  • 1792 FP
  • HM10yr BiB 
  • FR SiB (never had a bad one)
  • Bakers

$65

• EC BP
  • Stagg Jr
  • OF 1920
  • Russell's SiB

Overall best value - Stagg Jr if you can find it for $50, if not then OF Rye

Edited by Curtis Reed

Best value right now is JB Double Oak,  just $16.99 at the Pennsy State Stores.  

On 5/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, Jazzhead said:

Best value right now is JB Double Oak,  just $16.99 at the Pennsy State Stores.  

Maybe I had a bad bottle, but just wasn’t a fan when I tried it. Probably need to revisit. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, alcoholica said:

Maybe I had a bad bottle, but just wasn’t a fan when I tried it. Probably need to revisit. 

I felt it fell pretty flat too. But, maybe in JB's defense, I was expecting Woodford Double Oak like flavor and it couldn't compare. It is less than half the price though. 

• I like it 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:51 AM, DCFan said:

At the Va ABC we can get these all day long:

VOB 100 $13.99

OGD BIB $23.99 (on sale this month for $21.99)

WT 101 $26.99 (on sale this month for $24.99) 

I'll have to check the ABC stores, next time I head South. I love VOB, but haven't seen it in MD.  I usually have a friend pick up a couple handles in Kentucky, but it's usually the 90. I've never seen the 100, anywhere.

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'll have to check the ABC stores, next time I head South. I love VOB, but haven't seen it in MD.  I usually have a friend pick up a couple handles in Kentucky, but it's usually the 90. I've never seen the 100, anywhere.

If it's not in stock it can be special ordered.

• I like it 1

I gotta say that my 2018 Weller Blend is still holding it’s value pretty well. ;) To quote Walter Brennan in The Guns Of Will Sonnet, “No brag. Just fact.” ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

For stuff you can get without too much effort (being generous to the BT on that one) and for my tastes:

VOB 100 $14 (assuming it's as good as the BiB)

Evan Williams BiB $15

Virgin 7yr $16

OGD 114 $27

Buffalo Trace $27

Wild Turkey 101 $27

Eagle Rare 10yr $33

Four Roses SiB $45

Russell's Reserve SiB $60

Of the major distillers, Wild Turkey probably has the best QPR now. If you could still easily get McKenna 10 and EC BP, Heaven Hill would probably give them a run for their money. If Buffalo Trace products were actually available, they would probably also compete. I'm not a huge Beam fan to begin with, but their prices are pretty bad (save for OGD). Barton is good at the lower end, but their pricier stuff hasn't been doing it for me. Nothing from Brown-Forman wows me, although plenty of it is serviceable. Overall best values are probably Eagle Rare and OGD.

11 hours ago, Jazz June said:

For stuff you can get without too much effort (being generous to the BT on that one) and for my tastes:

VOB 100 $14 (assuming it's as good as the BiB)

Evan Williams BiB $15

Virgin 7yr $16

OGD 114 $27

Buffalo Trace $27

Wild Turkey 101 $27

Eagle Rare 10yr $33

Four Roses SiB $45

Russell's Reserve SiB $60

Of the major distillers, Wild Turkey probably has the best QPR now. If you could still easily get McKenna 10 and EC BP, Heaven Hill would probably give them a run for their money. If Buffalo Trace products were actually available, they would probably also compete. I'm not a huge Beam fan to begin with, but their prices are pretty bad (save for OGD). Barton is good at the lower end, but their pricier stuff hasn't been doing it for me. Nothing from Brown-Forman wows me, although plenty of it is serviceable. Overall best values are probably Eagle Rare and OGD.

I didn’t know Virgin Bourbon was available stateside. Do you know what states it is supposed be available? I’d love to try it

2 hours ago, alcoholica said:

I didn’t know Virgin Bourbon was available stateside. Do you know what states it is supposed be available? I’d love to try it

I think it's in NC and maybe VA.

• I like it 1

It’s also in Alabama and Mississippi.

I don't know if I would say these are the best values but if I could only buy one bottle in each $10 range:

Sub $20 JW Dant BIB, it was going to be a HH BIB and not only is JWD cheaper than EW here I like it more

Sub $30 WT 101 

Sub $40 Ezra Barrel Proof it's getting harder to find Rare Breed sub $40 around here 

Sub $50 KCSiB

Sub $60 ECBP

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, dcbt said:

It is sold by Virginia ABC.

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

It’s also in Alabama and Mississippi.

I’ve never tried it, but it is readily available here in AL.. It’s one of the most affordable pours here, and ALWAYS on the bottom shelf.. It’d be nice to find that it’s a gem in the rough so to speak.. Maybe I should take her for a spin...

I’ve never tried it, but it is readily available here in AL.. It’s one of the most affordable pours here, and ALWAYS on the bottom shelf.. It’d be nice to find that it’s a gem in the rough so to speak.. Maybe I should take her for a spin...

You absolutely need to give it a try! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. FacePlant introduced it to me a year or so ago, and I was very impressed with how good it was for the money. I’ve since picked up several bottles.

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

You absolutely need to give it a try! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. FacePlant introduced it to me a year or so ago, and I was very impressed with how good it was for the money. I’ve since picked up several bottles.

Frat, thanks for the insight.. again, it’d be nice to find a gem on the bottom shelf.. similar in profile/taste to any other bourbons that I’ve more then likely partaken of as a comparison?

Frat, thanks for the insight.. again, it’d be nice to find a gem on the bottom shelf.. similar in profile/taste to any other bourbons that I’ve more then likely partaken of as a comparison?

It’s similar to the Old Ezra 101 7yr that has been discontinued, and better than EWBIB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.