George Dickel Bottled in Bond

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have only had one bottle of Dickel 12 which I did not enjoy as I noted the strong vitamin note.  Does this one differ enough to attempt another try?

This hit my area this week, so I picked up a couple of bottles. If you like Dickel at all, you will really like this. This is probably the best priced new release that I’ve ever seen...13+ years old and bottled at 100 proof for around $35...it doesn’t get much better than that!

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

This hit my area this week, so I picked up a couple of bottles. If you like Dickel at all, you will really like this. This is probably the best priced new release that I’ve ever seen...13+ years old and bottled at 100 proof for around $35...it doesn’t get much better than that!

I don’t know, I saw the new Quinta Ruban 14 for $34.99 at a grocery store this weekend— now that’s value. 

• I like it 1

I don’t know, I saw the new Quinta Ruban 14 for $34.99 at a grocery store this weekend— now that’s value. 

Can’t argue with that, but you live in the land of milk and honey when it comes to great prices on spirits. My bet is the new Quinta Ruban 14 will be priced around $60 in my area whenever it gets here. The cheapest I can find the current version is $49.99, but many stores have it priced at $59.99.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, lcpfratn said:

What's the vitamin quotient? 

What's the vitamin quotient? 

We both know that my tolerance level for the Dickel “vitamin quotient” is much higher than yours, so there’s that! It’s certainly not as prominent as No.12, but it is there. I’d say it’s a bit more prominent at 100 proof and 13 years old than some of the cask strength 13 to 14 year old bottles I’ve gotten from several different NDPs. Our local NDP, Blue Note was able to acquire a lot of well aged Dickel barrels that hide the vitamin quotient very well...although I can still tell it’s Dickel, and you definitely would. At $35 though, it’s not like you’re spending a lot, so just go ahead and buy a bottle!

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

We both know that my tolerance level for the Dickel “vitamin quotient” is much higher than yours, so there’s that! It’s certainly not as prominent as No.12, but it is there. I’d say it’s a bit more prominent at 100 proof and 13 years old than some of the cask strength 13 to 14 year old bottles I’ve gotten from several different NDPs. Our local NDP, Blue Note was able to acquire a lot of well aged Dickel barrels that hide the vitamin quotient very well...although I can still tell it’s Dickel, and you definitely would. At $35 though, it’s not like you’re spending a lot, so just go ahead and buy a bottle!

That's an amazing price for 13yrs so I may just take the plunge.

• I like it 2

Dickel BIB with cigar outside my hotel in Greenville, SC.  This is suberb whiskey.  Extremely complex, as the vitamin plays in, but there is a gorgeous smokiness that combines with it to create an altogether different profile.  Sweet butteriness and a signature “love at first sight” key note for me...Goetze’s Bulleyes caramel cream over the palate.  Whodathunkit all out of a paper Starbucks cup! :D  Nah, got first dibs in the room out of a real glass...  either way, it’s quite nice.  Not sure if I have a whiskey of the year 2019 on the board yet, but this one may be it.  But, even though the vitamin note is morphed, it is still there.  So, may not hit everyone positively.  Regardless, the complexity and  range of flavor experiences is very noteworthy.

3577B67E-4725-495D-AC1B-1EB0C04BDDB6.jpeg

• I like it 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my hands on a bottle and it is great. Bold notes of black pepper, syrupy fruit, wet walnut ice cream topping, lots of oak, and thick and clingy. The finish is very coating and creates almost a cumulative effect with each sip adding a layer. I got the Flintstone Vitamin note on the nose as soon as it was poured, but it dissipated very quickly and had no presence on the palate at all. A home run out of Cascade Hollow.

IMG_7237.JPG

• I like it 3

Tried it this past weekend, and wasn't blown away (seemed very oaky to me?) but decided to write that off as an off-night and pick up a bottle anyways.  Looking forward to cracking open this weekend!

On 7/23/2019 at 4:51 AM, GaryT said:

Tried it this past weekend, and wasn't blown away (seemed very oaky to me?) but decided to write that off as an off-night and pick up a bottle anyways.  Looking forward to cracking open this weekend!

It is oaky. I noted in my official review that if you're not a fan of the bitter oak tannins in this one, a little water (doesn't take much) gets rid of the bitterness and leaves the sweeter oak notes.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

Im having some now and its oaky, but I love it. Just a real good sipper. 

• I like it 1

My first pour seemed to reaffirm my initial impression, which was 'too oaky' for my taste.  But my parents didn't raise a quitter ;)  Had a short pour last night where the oak didn't disappear, but it wasn't as overbearing.  In fact, enjoyed it quite a bit!  Definitely get those mineral/vitamin notes, but got this lovely turtle-brownies w/ burnt corners thing going on.  

• I like it 2

I looked for this in KY over the weekend and couldn't find it. Here's hoping I come across it at some point. I remember enjoying GD12, and I like oaky whiskeys. Sounds like a pretty good win....

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased, opened and drank (alot) of this yesterday evening. Found at a local, and one of the larger ABC stores here.. very surprised to see! It’s not your typical Yabba Dabba Dickel! Yeah, the vitiman note was there, but IMO was much more subdued.. Not quite as oakey to me as some others have posted, but I enjoyed what I’d call dark chocolate on this as well. Even for here, the $35ish price tag was a good value.

E2451AA7-6959-46B8-803D-62E514AB8A5A.jpeg

I had a nice pour of this yesterday and agree that as others have posted if you like Dickel ( and I most certainly do) you will love this!!  Plenty of notes in other posts above so I'll just leave it at this, delicious!!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Still waiting for it to hit good ole Mississippi.  But hell we're still waiting for a lot of things to get here.   That's what happens when politicians/Baptists get in the liquor bidnez.  I have gotten my hands on a few when out of state, and really enjoy it.  Planning to pick up a few more in the coming weeks.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Brought 4 bottles home Georgia a few weeks ago.  Been enjoying some!  Also found stacks of Buffalo Trace.  Brought some of them back as well.  

• 2 months later...

There is an ABC store up the road in Wilmington that always has it in stock. I pick one up every time I go. I've discovered that time in the bottle is not a friend of this one so I've started drinking it a little quicker.

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 8:53 AM, BDanner said:

There is an ABC store up the road in Wilmington that always has it in stock. I pick one up every time I go. I've discovered that time in the bottle is not a friend of this one so I've started drinking it a little quicker.

If your still finding them you might want to stock up. Harder to find up my way then Weller (anything)

18 hours ago, mross said:

If your still finding them you might want to stock up. Harder to find up my way then Weller (anything)

Yeah...pretty much gone here in NC now. Next release is going to clock in at 11 years. Hope the flavor profile stays the same.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.