Baker's 13 Year Single Barrel Bourbon

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

How many mashbills does Beam have?  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

An excellent question, Joe!    Besides their main rye-Bourbon mashbill, their higher-rye-Bourbon used for OGD brands, and whatever else I don't know about, I believe they have also said (several different times I think) that they enter the barrel (and maybe come of the still?) at more than one ABV.    So, there are more questions to be answered than just the mashbill I guess.

An excellent question, Joe!    Besides their main rye-Bourbon mashbill, their higher-rye-Bourbon used for OGD brands, and whatever else I don't know about, I believe they have also said (several different times I think) that they enter the barrel (and maybe come of the still?) at more than one ABV.    So, there are more questions to be answered than just the mashbill I guess.

Yes it appears the barrel entry proofs and what proof they take it off the still is different. For Booker’s/Baker’s 125, KC 130 and 135 for JB. According to Cowdery.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/10277-beam-distillation-proofs/

Same mashbill but I thought they also do different distillation runs with different amounts of backset for Booker’s/Bakers and KC?

Also thought JB was transparent about there mash being 77% corn, 13% rye and 10% malt? Maybe that’s not official but general accepted or assumed mashbill?

Lastly you could argue they have all the different mashbills from the Signature Craft series oat, wheat, barley etc.

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

How many mashbills does Beam have?  :mellow:

Biba! Joe

I was actually just being sarcastic. ;)  Reckon I should have used a different emoji. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I was told something that was pretty interesting a few weeks ago when I was at the Jim Beam distillery.

They distill and barrel for each name brand product specifically, four instance they would distill for Booker‘s on Tuesday and everything that comes off the steel is specifically for Booker’s and barreled for Booker‘s, KC the next day, etc.  I always thought that most of the profile came from where they stored the barrels in different warehouses (and I’m sure it does but), that was interesting to me.  I’ve been thinking that most of these older barrels of knob Creek we’re going to the bakers 13 year old, but I was told no. 

51 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I was told something that was pretty interesting a few weeks ago when I was at the Jim Beam distillery.

They distill and barrel for each name brand product specifically, four instance they would distill for Booker‘s on Tuesday and everything that comes off the steel is specifically for Booker’s and barreled for Booker‘s, KC the next day, etc.  I always thought that most of the profile came from where they stored the barrels in different warehouses (and I’m sure it does but), that was interesting to me.  I’ve been thinking that most of these older barrels of knob Creek we’re going to the bakers 13 year old, but I was told no. 

I think I heard something similar during a Beam tour before, that they were 'making _____ today', and I thought the tour guide was probably just misinformed.  But if they're coming off the still at different proofs for different products - they'd have to break it up like that.  Although - while that's what they've been doing for consistency for the brands as we know them, I'm thinking they could break-ranks and grab older barrels (maybe mix in some older casks that were destined for KC; since no one knows what 13 yr old Baker's tastes like!)

• I like it 1

I wonder if the percentages of the different products distilled between the Clermont and Boston plants are the same as they were a few years ago? I know the main product at both was Beam White, but not sure about the rest.

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I wonder if the percentages of the different products distilled between the Clermont and Boston plants are the same as they were a few years ago? I know the main product at both was Beam White, but not sure about the rest.

Biba! Joe

That's a really good question. Different stills yield different results all other things being equal.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that Beam uses a uniform mashbill for its bourbons (other than the OGD variants),  it represents a fascinating opportunity to compare and contrast the other elements that influence the taste of whiskey.    You've got large batch bourbon with no age statement (JBW),  large-batch bourbon with greater aging and slightly higher proof (JBB),  small batch bourbon with  greater aging and different proofs (Bakers and Knob Creek)),  custom-blended, barrel-strength  small batch bourbon that comes off the still at a lower proof (Bookers)  and single barrel expressions  (Knob Creek, Beam single barrel).    For me,  Bakers seems to hit the sweetest spot,  so I am disappointed to see it replaced.  

• I like it 1

I don't usually go for the high-priced,  limited edition bottles,  but I couldn't resist yesterday.  Copped a bottle of the brand new Little Book, Chapter 3 (Long Road Home),  which is a blend of extra-aged,  barrel strength Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden.     Mash 'em up, Little Book - sounds like it's gonna be delicious. 

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I don't usually go for the high-priced,  limited edition bottles,  but I couldn't resist yesterday.  Copped a bottle of the brand new Little Book, Chapter 3 (Long Road Home),  which is a blend of extra-aged,  barrel strength Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden.     Mash 'em up, Little Book - sounds like it's gonna be delicious. 

PLEASE Tell us how you find it, Jazzhead.   Is it sweeter than Booker's?   Is it oakier than KC 120?   Inquiring minds wanna know, eh?

I read the review of it on The Whisk(e)y Apostle Blog and it sounds like it would be right up my alley.   Haven't seen it yet, though.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, Richnimrod said:

PLEASE Tell us how you find it, Jazzhead.   Is it sweeter than Booker's?   Is it oakier than KC 120?   Inquiring minds wanna know, eh?

I read the review of it on The Whisk(e)y Apostle Blog and it sounds like it would be right up my alley.   Haven't seen it yet, though.

I really liked lil book ch 3 - reminded me of Bookers 30th in many ways.   They are blending well these days at JB in my opinion.

• I like it 1

I really liked lil book ch 3 - reminded me of Bookers 30th in many ways.   They are blending well these days at JB in my opinion.

I agree, Freddie did a fantastic job of blending the component bourbons in chapter 3...good enough that I’ll grab another bottle if I can find one!
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, MadGoodPour said:

so yeah, the Bakers 13 year is ?

What does this mean?  Hot and too much alcohol?  On Fire meaning really good?  Expound

• I like it 1

nothing too detailed, just that it was definitely a Beam profile, great nose, very rich mouthfeel, long finish, if i find a second bottle i'll probably grab it... id go as far as to say the only Beam product ive enjoyed more than this, was Booker's rye.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.