Jump to content
BusterChestnut

Best sub-$100 rye

Recommended Posts

BusterChestnut

Obviously this is a wide range, but for what’s readily available (within reason) right now, the WTRR SiB rye gets my vote. NCF, 104pf, ~6yr and somewhere around $50 depending on location.

 

CEHT rye is also solid, and I miss the hell out of SAOS store pick ryes (only 4 left in the bunker!), but nothing scratches the itch right now like the gobbler

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Curtis Reed

Pikesville. No question about it. I can’t get enough of that stuff. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

It feels like a luxury that we even can ask the question at this point it's not too long ago that the options were sparse.  I think my honest answer might be Redemption 7 year Barrel Proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

When I read this title, I thought "Hell, aren't 90% of ryes out there are sub-$100?" Checking my local Total Wine's website - out of 116 rye whiskies, all but 9 are $100 or under.  And of those 9, I wouldn't buy any of them.  

 

Knee jerk response would be Pikesville, although Redemption 7yr BP is solid (not sure why I hadn't bought one of these in years - last one I had was 3+ yrs ago; a 6 yr that was < $60 at the time, and was pretty damn good; tons of citrus spice)

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1
49 minutes ago, GaryT said:

When I read this title, I thought "Hell, aren't 90% of ryes out there are sub-$100?" Checking my local Total Wine's website - out of 116 rye whiskies, all but 9 are $100 or under.  And of those 9, I wouldn't buy any of them.  

 

Knee jerk response would be Pikesville, although Redemption 7yr BP is solid (not sure why I hadn't bought one of these in years - last one I had was 3+ yrs ago; a 6 yr that was < $60 at the time, and was pretty damn good; tons of citrus spice)

I had the exact same reaction. But to throw in my two cents, Knob Creek Cask Strength is a fabulous rye. To try something different with good payoff, look into the Catoctin Creek lineup. 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith

Whistle Pig 10 store picks and Willet 4 yr.  are both great.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT
2 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

I had the exact same reaction. But to throw in my two cents, Knob Creek Cask Strength is a fabulous rye. To try something different with good payoff, look into the Catoctin Creek lineup. 

I completely forgot KCCS . . . teacher, can I change my answer?  That's a fabulous rye for the money!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JvW
10 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Pikesville. No question about it. I can’t get enough of that stuff. 

What he said....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

I love Pikesville, but I can buy a liter of WT 101 Rye for half the money. And the Turkey is dang good.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i

Too many options to contemplate.  Few are extraordinary but most are very solid.

 

OF Rye and Pikesville top my list for flavor and QPR.  However, I do enjoy WTR101.  I also enjoy others but price and availability factor in.  Right now, it is difficult to buck up for anything over OF Rye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BusterChestnut
15 hours ago, GaryT said:

When I read this title, I thought "Hell, aren't 90% of ryes out there are sub-$100?" Checking my local Total Wine's website - out of 116 rye whiskies, all but 9 are $100 or under.  And of those 9, I wouldn't buy any of them.  

 

Knee jerk response would be Pikesville, although Redemption 7yr BP is solid (not sure why I hadn't bought one of these in years - last one I had was 3+ yrs ago; a 6 yr that was < $60 at the time, and was pretty damn good; tons of citrus spice)

Maybe most ryes are sub-$100, but certainly not the best ones ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Maybe most ryes are sub-$100, but certainly not the best ones ;)

Perhaps so but I still tend to take cost into the equation. Booker's Rye was excellent but I am not paying $300 (retail!!!!!) for it again much less what it might cost on the sucker, I mean secondary, market. :wacko:

 

 

 

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead

Different profiles but I enjoy all of these at various price points Rittenhouse, WP10yr, and a couple enjoyable newbies Wilderness Trail and New Riff ryes.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

All under $100, here are some that come to mind:

Pikesville

Michters Barrel Strength

Whistlepig Store Picks

Rendezvous Rye

Colonel EH Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oli77

Rittenhouse 

Pikesville

CEHT

Wilderness Trail high rye bourbon 

Willet 

Whistle Pig store pick

 

All great and under $100 around here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

Not mentioned so far - Old Overholt B.I.B., and Dickel Rye (sourced from MGP).

Rittenhouse/Pikesville are good too.  I buy any of those four.  I'm just not into the hype for $50+ bottles.

I'm interested in WT 101 Rye, and OF Rye.  I'm still waiting for those to show up.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt
Posted (edited)

I can't claim to have tasted even half the ryes listed above, but once I stumbled across Ritt Rye I stopped buying others.  (Oh, except Balcones Rye for those times when I want some chocolate for dessert and I'm out of Oreos.)

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
Posted (edited)

For budget champion, Rittenhouse only has one real competitor, and that's Old Forester Rye. Both are freaking awesome for the money and everyone should have a bottle of each. I think Pikesville is a noticeable step up from Ritt, but for twice the money, it's certainly not a better value. Though Pikesville's mix of quality, price, and availability is hard to match, so it's generally my recommendation for someone looking for a good rye that is a notch above the usual mixers.

 

Not thinking (so much) about price, but trying to restrict it to things that someone could reasonably buy (no Handy etc) my top 10 under $100 looks something like this:

 

  1. Whistlepig MGP store picks
  2. Russell's Reserve Rye Single Barrel
  3. Willett 4 year
  4. High West Midwinter Night's Dram
  5. Little Book Chapter 2 (not exactly a rye, but close enough for me)
  6. Micther's Barrel Proof Rye
  7. Pikesville
  8. Whistlepig 10/100
  9. Old Forester Rye (by a hair)
  10. Rittenhouse

 

 

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

I'm pretty sure at least one of my Kentucky Owl rye batch #1 cost me a little under $100, but yeah I know, that ain't typical 😉

 

But realistically I just so happen to be sipping a Redemption bp 8 year old, and it's damn fine whiskey. At the $100 price point there are a ton of good options.  More interesting question for ryes would be the $30, $50 and $75 price points.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake

Yeah, if you can't find a WP10 MGP pick, which seem to be hard to get these days, any of the Redemption Ryes are good, and should be under $100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
On 6/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Perhaps so but I still tend to take cost into the equation. Booker's Rye was excellent but I am not paying $300 (retail!!!!!) for it again much less what it might cost on the sucker, I mean secondary, market. :wacko:

 

 

 

 

I paid that for my Bookers and I believe it's worth it.  Tasted $300 scotch that couldn't touch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcgumbohead
On 6/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, dcbt said:

I can't claim to have tasted even half the ryes listed above, but once I stumbled across Ritt Rye I stopped buying others.  (Oh, except Balcones Rye for those times when I want some chocolate for dessert and I'm out of Oreos.)

I am intrigued by this one as any whiskey with chocolate note will get my attention immediately. I haven't really looked for it in the greater ATL area and don't know if its distributed here but I may do some more research into it. Balcones Winston gave a rather detailed description of their process which I found interesting and informative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt
On 7/25/2019 at 12:43 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I am intrigued by this one as any whiskey with chocolate note will get my attention immediately. I haven't really looked for it in the greater ATL area and don't know if its distributed here but I may do some more research into it. Balcones Winston gave a rather detailed description of their process which I found interesting and informative. 

Yea, they include chocolate (cocoa?) rye in the mashbill, which certainly more than comes through in the final product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
On 8/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, dcbt said:

Yea, they include chocolate (cocoa?) rye in the mashbill, which certainly more than comes through in the final product.

Which Balcones has this?  I may have to give that one a try. I've  had couple from Balcones before  but since  it didn't

really  stand out to me at the time I don't  even remember  which expressions they were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt
1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Which Balcones has this?  I may have to give that one a try. I've  had couple from Balcones before  but since  it didn't

really  stand out to me at the time I don't  even remember  which expressions they were.

The 100 proof rye.  https://balconesdistilling.com/spirit/texas-rye/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...