Best sub-$100 rye

BusterChestnut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 1 month later...

Right now,  I'd say the Willett 4 year.    Rye doesn't need to be as well-aged as bourbon, and now that the Willett has reached 4 years,  there's just one word to describe it - delicious.   

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, Jazzhead said:

Right now,  I'd say the Willett 4 year.    Rye doesn't need to be as well-aged as bourbon, and now that the Willett has reached 4 years,  there's just one word to describe it - delicious.   

I participated in a private barrel selection this morning at Willett.  We selected a bourbon, but as part of the process, we did sample a 6 year old rye.  IMHO, incredibly good.  I would buy it in a heartbeat if I saw a bottle in the wild.

4 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

I participated in a private barrel selection this morning at Willett.  We selected a bourbon, but as part of the process, we did sample a 6 year old rye.  IMHO, incredibly good.  I would buy it in a heartbeat if I saw a bottle in the wild.

Interesting, is rye also available as a selection? Just curious as rye IMO hits its stride younger than Bourbon so if bourbons are available I would think there might be a nice rye inventory to choose from. I have some of the 4 yr and its quite nice.

Tonight was a wee pour of the OF rye for me.

Yes, this rye was available if we had wanted to buy it.  However, Eric wanted to go with a bourbon because in our neck of the woods it simply sells better.  But if what we sampled is representative of their rye at present time, then Willett is going to be quite in demand once again for rye whiskey.

• I like it 1

My current favorites are RRSIB Rye and Wilderness Trail SIB BP Rye.

3 that are just a notch below those are Willet, Bone Snapper Xray rye (a 4yr 110 proof MGP rye), and New Riff BIB. I'm looking forward to getting New Riff's SIb BP rye.

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

My current favorites are RRSIB Rye and Wilderness Trail SIB BP Rye.

3 that are just a notch below those are Willet, Bone Snapper Xray rye (a 4yr 110 proof MGP rye), and New Riff BIB. I'm looking forward to getting New Riff's SIb BP rye.

I am with you on the Wilderness Trail and NR. I have the NR BIB and really enjoy it, ditto the WT. I have a RRrye that I cannot believe is on profile so I will leave it at that. My 4yr Willett is very nice as well, looking to pair it with a slightly older version in a couple of years.

I like that NR so much that a BP version is somewhere in my future. Cheers!!

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.