What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I should have known better....... :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Exactly!!

20190716_211236.jpg

I may have to give this a try

Went to a store today I'd never been in. Everything was way overpriced, so there was a lot of passing. Some notables were Weller 107 for $139 and ECBP for $100. They did have HMck and Stagg Jr. both at $59. Didn't see what batch it was, but might go back for the Stagg Jr.

I'd go back for the Stagg Jr too. I can pick it up for $49 when it's here, but haven't seen it for a while. Over $59 and I would pass on it to. Good luck.

Scrapped my coveted ticket to the “Wild Turkey Vault” with the Russells for a great lunch with great folks at Galatoire’s 33— good decision.

• I like it 1

Easy pass, at ~$80 I can get a coupletwothree solid midshelfers for the same price.... walked out of there empty handed.  

77B7B720-7E15-4145-813E-A8BA76B5D096.jpeg

• I like it 1

Passed on Booker's 30th at $599.00 at a store I'd never been in before.  I wasn't tempted because luckily I already got one bottle from my local at $160.  I'm sorry but legit businesses don't gouge with almost 4x markup.  That store will never get my business for anything.

• I like it 2

Passed on Krogmans Old Master Bourbon and Rye.  Both are 3 year old age stated MGPI.  Both are also bottled at 90 proof.  I have only seen them at one liquor chain who has been running a special for several weeks, $24.99 per bottle.  The bottles are pretty cool looking and the liquor store offers samples so I tried them.  My expectations were low based on age and proof but I was pleasantly surprised.  I preferred the Rye.  It actually had a little rye bite to it but the finish was sweet.  The bourbon is a 36% rye and while it tasted young, it also had a sweet finish.  Both seem like they would be decent summer time sippers.

Passed on Murray Hill Club. I know I’m in the minority but I just didn’t find the Joseph Magnus to be anything particularly special so couldn’t pull the trigger for another shot at 99.99.

Another binnys and another pass at another end of bin/clearance rack. 

0C608A3D-2F5A-4CC9-BA91-613AF95755C7.jpeg

0C608A3D-2F5A-4CC9-BA91-613AF95755C7.thumb.jpeg.7cd8825e58360bcc160f5b8d6649d633.jpeg

I see 4 or 5 different bottles that I wouldn’t have passed on, and a couple of them would have been multiple bottle purchases!
  • I like it 5

9 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I see 4 or 5 different bottles that I wouldn’t have passed on, and a couple of them would have been multiple bottle purchases!

The midnightmoon and the Wayne Gretzky really that good???

The midnightmoon and the Wayne Gretzky really that good???

Haha! No, I’d probably pass on those too. However, the Kavalans; the Belle Meade Madeira cask finish; the JD Legacy Edition; the Highland Park Full Volume; the Famous Grouse Ruby Cask; the Yellow Spot and Tyrconnell 15yr are great deals. I have a couple of those whiskies already, and several of the others are on my buy list if I found them at a good price.

• I like it 3

Stopped by Kroger Wine & Spirits today and picked this up.

But I passed on Corner Creek 10 year at $59.99 and the BH Rum Finish, because I don't like finished bourbons.

Resized_20190722_160151.jpeg

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Haha! No, I’d probably pass on those too. However, the Kavalans; the Belle Meade Madeira cask finish; the JD Legacy Edition; the Highland Park Full Volume; the Famous Grouse Ruby Cask; the Yellow Spot and Tyrconnell 15yr are great deals. I have a couple of those whiskies already, and several of the others are on my buy list if I found them at a good price.

The Benromach 15, Yellow Spot, Famous Grouse and probably a backup HP Full Volume probably would have made it home with me 

• I like it 1

Saw a couple "old style" EC on the shelf today. Picked them up and sure enough they had 12 year age stated on the back. Then I saw the price sticker...$90. And it even said "EC (12 on back)" on the sticker.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

Stopped by Kroger Wine & Spirits today and picked this up.

But I passed on Corner Creek 10 year at $59.99 and the BH Rum Finish, because I don't like finished bourbons.

Resized_20190722_160151.jpeg

Good pass on the BH, it's not a finished whiskey it's rum blended with whiskey. Hard pass.

• I like it 1

On the road in Fort Wayne.  Passed on a few interesting bottles including Redemption 10 year High Rye Bourbon and Redemption 10 Year Rye, both at $79.99. Also, ECBP st $79.99 and ET BIB.  Lots of interesting store picks.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:07 PM, TehRegion219 said:

0C608A3D-2F5A-4CC9-BA91-613AF95755C7.jpeg

I would have bought that Teeling Single Malt to try.  Plus Yellow Spot.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

On the road in Fort Wayne.  Passed on a few interesting bottles including Redemption 10 year High Rye Bourbon and Redemption 10 Year Rye, both at $79.99. Also, ECBP st $79.99 and ET BIB.  Lots of interesting store picks.

I would by at least a couple of those Redemption 10 year Ryes at that price.  Cheapest Ive seen it is $99 i believe. 

Is that typical of Ft Wayne?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I would buy at least a couple of those Redemption 10 year Ryes at that price.  Cheapest Ive seen it is $99 i believe. 

Buy ..not by

On 7/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, Marekv8 said:

Scrapped my coveted ticket to the “Wild Turkey Vault” with the Russells for a great lunch with great folks at Galatoire’s 33— good decision.

LOVE that restaurant.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I would by at least a couple of those Redemption 10 year Ryes at that price.  Cheapest Ive seen it is $99 i believe. 

Not really.  This store 's prices have been creeping up over the past few years.  They normally sell it for $99.99.  What was interesting is that I saw it on an end cap with several clearance type bottles so I assumed they were just moving slow selling bottles. Then I noticed a dozen or so bottles behind the counter. I have seen a few bottles in different stores but not that many in one store.

They had a lot of the KC2001 bootles marked down too.

I was tempted to buy one of the high rye bourbons but opt for a couple of store picks for the same price.

• I like it 1

Just passed on a bottle of Elmer T Lee yesterday. The price point was 107, which I thought was to high as I have a bottle that I paid 80 for. I was hesitant even at 80 to buy it but was curious, still am as I have not opened it yet. At those prices though it had better be a whole lot better than WT101.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.