Hello just percahsed Blantons single barrel / orvw 15 107

jace33
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just today and tried them after work @ 4:00 ish a.m.

so here it goes ovw 15 yr 107

very complex and mellow for 107 however it does not wow me yet but on burn and great nose and mellow finish

Blantons siongle barrel

vety mellow and spicy rye anyone? very simple but ellegant

finish

both had alot of spice do these have more rye vs wheat or do i need more pratice which of I would happily do more homework?

old rip van winkle has a better nose than maker's but a little less charter than bookers reverse but way more mellow?

Wild turkey 101 and Rare Breed give these guys a good run

for the money ?

All options and sejestion welcome ooo.gifcool.gifsmile.giflaugh.giftongue.gifgrin.giftoast.gifusflag.gif

All of the products you mentioned are among the best, though you might want to get to know some Heaven Hill (e.g., Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, Elijah Craig [any expression]) and Brown-Forman (Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Woodford Reserve) products, for the variety if for no other reason.

- chuck

ORVW 15 yo/107 is my current favorite bourbon. It replaced WT Rare Breed as my favorite. banghead.gif This doen't mean I have given up on Rare Breed. yum.gif

Blanton's will have to get a whole lot better for me to buy it, again. I hated it, the only time I bought and tried it! I like some of the other Buffalo Trace bourbons, so it isn't the distillery.

There are so many great bourbons and so little time!!!!!

Just read a blurb in the current "Malt Advocate" publication

that around May 1st, ORVW 15yr 107, will become VWFR 15yr 107.I assume it will be from the same stock.

I have a sentimental attachment to the squat bottle and the old-fashioned look of the current ORVW bottlings (as well as the now-defunct Old Time Rye 12 year-old), even though the bottles used throughout the remainder of the VW line store more efficiently. The prospect of such a change is almost enough to turn me into a collector.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

At WhiskyFest, in Chicago on Wednesday, Julian told me they are changing the tall cognac bottles into, I thought he said, the small bottle or something similar. I never liked the tall bottle, so anything would be an improvement. I, like you, prefer the old fashioned looking bottle. You are right, though, the tall bottle takes up less space on a shelf.

I hope it is from the same stock. I really like the stuff! drink.gif

I was able to try the VW 12 yo for the first time at WhiskyFest and liked it, also. I am now considering a VW 12 yo bottle for my bourbon shelf, along with a George T. Stagg, if I can find one, and an Eagle Rare 17 yo.

As I have said so many times before... so many bourbons and so little time! drinking.gif

The "Malt Advocate" paragraph, from which I gathered the material for my earlier post, actually states that the new VWFR 15yr 107 will be from the same stock as Pappy 20yr. I was assuming that ORWW 15yr 107 was from the same stock. I may be wrong. Does anyone know if the whiskies are from identical sources.

Virtually all, if not all, of the Van Winkle bourbons are whiskey distilled at the Stitzel-Weller plant in Shively, which the Van Winkle family once owned and which closed in 1992 (or thereabouts). There are different batches, of course, from different years. When Julian refers to two bottlings being from the same "stock," I believe he means the same "batch," i.e., Stitzel-Weller bourbon distilled in (for example) fall of 1989.

The rye is not from there. I believe some of the bourbons are not from there as well, but this is the point on which I am not sure. The default source is Stitzel-Weller, unless you know otherwise about a specific bottling. Then the question is batch, as in distilling season, which is either spring or fall of a given year.

At this point, the distinction between Lawrenceburg and Frankfort has strictly to do with where it was bottled. The whiskey is the same. That will change in the future as the Van Winkle family recipe is reconstituted at Buffalo Trace with as much fidelity as is possible, but we are several years away from tasting any of that whiskey.

Julian, if he is so inclined, can provide the ultimate clarification, but I think the above will be helpful to anyone who is trying to sort out the Van Winkle bourbons puzzle in general.

Thanks Chuck for a very informative reply. I didn't know that Julian was using Stitzel-Weller stock.Thanks again.

Whence the rye, then? It does not taste like anything from Heaven Hill.

At first I though, pre-HH Bernheim, but I thought Julian said none of his whiskey was ever made there.

Gary

I have heard (this is not a definitive answer) that the rye was made at the Medley Distillery in Owensboro when it was owned by Glenmore.

Hello Chuck,

I concur completely, as usual I think you have hit it right on the nail.

Cheers,

Marvin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.