Help finding shops on Florida to Chicago trip

Backdoctor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My buddy is doing a road trip from Florida to Chicago. He will take a route through Louisville. Now I know Louisville is prob one of the worst places for tough to find bottles. but that said, we did well in the Total Wine in E Louisville last time. Great prices and bagged an Angels Envy Barrel Proof.  I have heard people on various forums over the years mention some decent places in the area there, but never wrote it down. I think I remember Liquor Barn, but they have many locations.

Anyhow, anyone know of decent stores ALONG the way, he will go thru Atlanta to Louisville to Chicago. Is there a decent store for Weller, ETL, Old Fitz? I know BTAC is not going to be found at retail.

Just thought I'd give it the old college try. 

Thanks for your help.

Harris

Mac's in ATL just off of I75 at George Tech campus area. Good selections, ok pricing, but nothing on the shelves that's tough to find.

Party Source and Depps in the Cincinnati market are both worth visiting.

I guess it depends on the route - through Knoxville or Nashville.  If through Knoxville, then the stores in Knoxville, Covington, KY, and Indy make sense on the way to Chicago.  Several great options along that route.  If through Nashville, then stores in Nashville, Elizabethtown, Louisville, and Indy make sense. 

Most probably heading through Nashville.  I am not familiar with Nashville stores but Kroger in Bowling Green, Packages and More in E-Town, Westport in Louisville and Crown and Rural Inn in Indy would be good stops.  Liquor Barn in Louisville might be another option.  Probably not going to find any limited or allocated bottles but should find some interesting store picks.

If going through Knoxville, I would suggest hitting some of the stores in the Cincinnati area including Cork N Bottle in Covington (they have a new name), DEPs and Party Source.  You might find some OWA at state stores in Ohio but it is probably drying up.  

Obviously, in Chicago, he will want to hit Binny's.  I usually hit Highland Park but South Loop is a good option.  It depends on where he is going.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, Backdoctor said:

Is there a decent store for Weller, ETL, Old Fitz? I know BTAC is not going to be found at retail.

I doubt one would be able to walk into any liquor store cold and find Weller, ETL etc just sitting on the shelf at MSRP.  Same for the new Old Fitz Bib.  Although I have not seen any in over a year you may run into the discontinued Old Fitz Bib, but that would likely be at a small store and not a large chain like Binnys.

I second Binnys as a good place to stop and depending on timing and location they might have things like Eagle Rare, EH Small Batch and Single Barrel, McKenna 10, Blantons and a variety of store picks.

Warehouse Liquors in the south loop usually has several store picks and I know the owner takes pride in picking himself so you wont get things like panel picks there.  They are a bit pricey, but not outrageous as a boutique stand alone store in downtown Chicago.  I just finished up a BT pick that was delish.   I usually buy RRSiB picks from them as for some reason those bottles are actually cheaper then Binny's ($49.99).  Also if you are buying a few items and get to chatting with the guys they sometimes have picks of WSR, W017 and Blantons in the back.  

17 hours ago, Insanityabounds said:

What part of Florida will you be in? 

He is driving from Port St Lucie to Atlanta to Chicago via Louisville. I am trying to see if he is going thru Knoxville or Nashville

21 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I guess it depends on the route - through Knoxville or Nashville.  If through Knoxville, then the stores in Knoxville, Covington, KY, and Indy make sense on the way to Chicago.  Several great options along that route.  If through Nashville, then stores in Nashville, Elizabethtown, Louisville, and Indy make sense. 

Most probably heading through Nashville.  I am not familiar with Nashville stores but Kroger in Bowling Green, Packages and More in E-Town, Westport in Louisville and Crown and Rural Inn in Indy would be good stops.  Liquor Barn in Louisville might be another option.  Probably not going to find any limited or allocated bottles but should find some interesting store picks.

If going through Knoxville, I would suggest hitting some of the stores in the Cincinnati area including Cork N Bottle in Covington (they have a new name), DEPs and Party Source.  You might find some OWA at state stores in Ohio but it is probably drying up.  

Obviously, in Chicago, he will want to hit Binny's.  I usually hit Highland Park but South Loop is a good option.  It depends on where he is going.

He is going through Nashville. Thank you.

I assume the route is coming up I 65.

If so, there is a Liquor Barn in Louisville not to far from the Fern Valley Rd. exit.

In Indiana, there is a nice Crown Liquors store on Southport Rd., another I 65 exit (South side of Indianapolis).

Thank you all. I've been making notes from all the recommendations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.