Is WT Masters Keep worth it?

pyro273
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is the WTMK juice worth the squeeze?  It seems to be thought if very highly by members of this forum and I have the opportunity to get a bottle of Decade or Revival, price TBA.  I have an idea about what would be fair ($150?) but I don't know if that's really sane or not and I don't want to be that deep into a bottle that I end up not really enjoying.

I think the Revival is fantastits. But mine was a gift. I would not pay the current asking price.

I got a bottle of the Decades to open when I retired.  I really enjoyed it, but the fact that I used gift money to buy it might have made it more enjoyable.  Only you can determine if it's worth the extra $$.

They are each different. I like Decades best personally. Keep in mind that Revival is finished in sherry casks so that can be a little polarizing, although personally I didn’t think it was over the top. I am certainly looking forward to trying the new Cornerstone rye release. If you don’t mind spending $150 on a bottle of whiskey, these seem to be well made and unique offerings in general. Some people just think no American whiskey is worth $150. But plenty of people also pay $150 or more for NAS/NDP/crafty crap that sucks. 

• I like it 3

I can’t tell you they are worth the price...you’ll have to make that determination for yourself, but don’t pay more than the retail price, which is $150 in most areas. In some states with the big box stores, you can sometimes find the MK series for less than the suggested retail price, but I don’t have that option unless I find one while I’m traveling. To answer your question whether they are good or not, I’ll say that I have enjoyed them all enough to buy backup bottles. This year’s release is a rye, and the suggested retail price is higher than the first three releases. I’ll still be a buyer of at least one bottle, but time will tell if I’m a buyer of a back up this year...oh who am I kidding, I’m sure I’ll be buying at least two bottles. [emoji3]

• I like it 1

What’s the general consensus on the Diamond Anniversary bottles. I have multiple stores with those shelf turds still marked at $124.99 - $149.99. It’s now been sitting there for 5 years. What if I can talk the owner down a little, is it worth it?  I’m becoming a WT fan and think WB Saffell is well worth it’s price so what about this one?

7 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

What’s the general consensus on the Diamond Anniversary bottles. I have multiple stores with those shelf turds still marked at $124.99 - $149.99. It’s now been sitting there for 5 years. What if I can talk the owner down a little, is it worth it?  I’m becoming a WT fan and think WB Saffell is well worth it’s price so what about this one?

Everything I've ever heard and read say it's not worth it. I've never had it, though. 

Everyone's taster is different, my first question would be how much do you like Wild Turkey? For me it's my personal favorite distillery. TBT I would take Decades over many of the more lauded and sought after bottles based on taste.  My favorite of the three Masters Keeps is the 17 year though, low proof, high flavor and more unique, Decades is more of what you might expect out of a high end WT bottling. I like Revival but my preference would be for the other two. I'll buy a bottle of Cornerstone despite the fact that in truth I think it is overpriced for what it is. 

• I like it 4

I got to try MK 17 year old and MK Decades.  They were both good, but I wouldn't spend my own money to buy a bottle.  I like WT products in general.

Like all 'luxury' expenditure purchases, your cost limit will be higher than actual 'value' purchases for a similar product.   So, only you can determine the comfort level for this kind of buy.   For me, the Decades was some very nearly sublime distillate, in the way they selected the barrels and determined the blending.   Just really fine whiskey!  At a moderate 104-proof, and being NCF, it drank almost like a really full-flavored 86-proof...very easy to sip! 

I liked the sherry-finished juice rather less; but that's a personal preference sort of decision, I think.   I've heard several folx who absolutely LOVED the stuff.   The Diamond wasn't to my taste, especially for the cheddar.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I got a bottle of the Decades to open when I retired.  I really enjoyed it, but the fact that I used gift money to buy it might have made it more enjoyable.  Only you can determine if it's worth the extra $$.

I did the same thing with some bonus money I wasn't expecting, I have to wait several more years to celebrate with it though, but the countdown is ON!!!!!

On topic, I have tasted both Decades and Revival and enjoyed both but I am also very partial to WT in general.

Edited by kcgumbohead

I’ve got a couple of bottles that I bought recently on clearance below $100, so I bet you’d be able to get one for less than the prices you’re seeing if you are patient. I still haven’t opened one, but some people do like the Diamond better than the MK series...so, as they say, “different strokes for different folks!”

Thanks for all of the feedback.   I'm just starting to explore the WT side of things and really liked WT101 so if I can get that bottle of Decades for a decent price I'll pull the trigger.

I don't believe I've ever spent more than a C-note for a bottle of whiskey,  but there a heck of a lot of great whiskeys you can get for a C-note (or less), including from Wild Turkey.    I'm a huge WT fan,  and I'd love the chance to try one of these special editions some day.     The Decades release sounds the most appealing,  as a blend of younger and over-aged whiskeys.   The regular premium offerings from WT are truly superior, so it's hard to justify paying two to three times the price.  But on the other hand,  if the regular premium offerings are so good, the super-premium bottles must be sublime!

Some day I'll probably take the plunge,  just to satisfy my nagging curiousity.   

• I like it 1

I got a bottle of Revival for $130 I believe. The sherry finish is very restrained and well balanced. I quite liked it. Not enough to rush out and get another bottle though. I had a chance to try the 17 at a bar and that was rather nice too. I would probably grab one if I saw it locally for $130 or less, but have little desire to go and hunt one down. The WTMK series is priced a little high at retail in my mind, but not obscenely so. There's so many expensive limited editions these days that sell for even crazier prices at shady stores and on the secondary market. The WTMK series seems to have largely missed the hype train for whatever reason. I guess that's all the better, if you want one it's not to difficult to find as long as you're okay with MSRP (or a bit less).

I'm very excited about the new rye, though the $175 MSRP is a bit silly. But I really, really like WT rye. So we'll see, maybe I will cave.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

I personally have lost interest with the price creep. I thought $130 was pushing it (I was able to get the 17 year for that price) but it was a splurge and I appreciated that I was able to just walk into a store and grab one with no fuss. $175 is, for me, past the point of consideration. But my $130 might be someone else's $175.

In other words, I'm not sure there's many whiskies that are worth as much as Wild Turkey is asking for Cornerstone, but it's fun to splurge once in a while and the particular price depends on each person.

• I like it 2

On 7/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, pyro273 said:

Thanks for all of the feedback.   I'm just starting to explore the WT side of things and really liked WT101 so if I can get that bottle of Decades for a decent price I'll pull the trigger.

Oddly enough I don't like the WT101 at all.  It comes off as flat and hot to my palate.  The WT Decades on the other hand was and is one of my favorite bottles.  If you can find one at retail or lower I don't think you'll be disappointed with your purchase.

I loved Decades and bought a bottle for $99 on sale.  Would buy another 2 at that price in a heartbeat.  Liked the Revival, but not enough to spend $150.  If I saw it for $99 I would buy.

I will be purchasing Cornerstone even though the price tag is not desirable.  I have been really trying to explore Rye lately and so this release lines up nicely.  Also, did a RR pick recently, got to discuss the release a bit with Eddie and then we sampled an 11 year old Rye.  I'm excited for this product and given that I now feel I have a "personal connection" will take the plunge.

Overall, I think all the juice on the MK series has been excellent and if priced right at $100 it would be perfect.  Get Rid of the fancy box packaging and save us some $$!

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Oddly enough I don't like the WT101 at all.  

Blasphemy! 

• I like it 2

Yes, it is. Buy one and try it.

Edited by LCWoody

17 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Blasphemy! 

I know I hear from you guys every time I say this but I've tried WT101 more than once and it disappoints me.  I guess I'm just going to have to live with the shame.

After having a taste of the Revival, I bought a bottle.   Great stuff.   I’ll pick of a bottle of the others if I come across  them.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I know I hear from you guys every time I say this but I've tried WT101 more than once and it disappoints me.  I guess I'm just going to have to live with the shame.

Hey, we all have our unpopular opinions.   Three off the top of my head that I have never been fond of are Bookers, OGD 114 (but I do like it as a blender for the GW4G), and Stagg Jr.  I circle back every so often  with no change. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, pyro273 said:

Resident turkey head here. 

As always ‘worth it’ is between your tastes buds and your wallet. 

If you are looking at a deep dive into turkey, try rare breed or Russell’s reserve single barrel. Actually, definitely Russsells reserve. Preferably a store pick but a shelfie is plenty fine. Try there, if you like the more complex profiles, keep an eye out for a deal on mk17 or decades. 

I have a bottle of each and enjoy them both. I have multiple bottles of RRsib I enjoy as much. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.