Basic (palate) training

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Preparing for a tasting next month with some of my college friends (we are all 40 or close to it). 

Many of them are looking to explore beyond makers and/or woodford on the rocks. Trying to theme a tasting of excellent house styles around 100 proof. 

Putting myself to the test tonight with low rye, ‘classic mash’, and high rye. 

Will post notes later. 

BBC63BAD-C0AD-4DBC-A99E-837A7C123725.jpeg

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Preparing for a tasting next month with some of my college friends (we are all 40 or close to it). 

Many of them are looking to explore beyond makers and/or woodford on the rocks. Trying to theme a tasting of excellent house styles around 100 proof. 

Putting myself to the test tonight with low rye, ‘classic mash’, and high rye. 

Will post notes later. 

BBC63BAD-C0AD-4DBC-A99E-837A7C123725.jpeg

What a wonderful idea - comparable House styles.  Now, if you only had a fifth or a 750 of Old Fitz BIB for your wheated.  I am looking forward to the results.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What a wonderful idea - comparable House styles.  Now, if you only had a fifth or a 750 of Old Fitz BIB for your wheated.  I am looking forward to the results.

Could go close enough with DN or RY 100

• I like it 1

@Harry in WashDC and @kevinbrink

both are on it. I have an open OF BiB (non decanter) and a friend picked up a RY10 for me today (he was traveling out of state)

will likely add a nice wtks and bakers to this line up. Want to offer quality bottles that people will enjoy and find have ‘more’ to offer than their standards but also offee available bottles so if they really like something they can pick it up Monday on the way home

working on notes. 

PS I I’d all by nose (humble brag). 

• I like it 4

Nice idea. Is it coincidence that the three you chose are single barrels, or is that a prerequisite for each pour? 

I enjoy putting novices through tastings. I've had to apologize (bc their disposable income instantly goes to building their bar selection) and say "you're welcome" to multiple friends for piquing their interest and getting them on the straight whiskey train. I hope you guys have a fun time. 

• I like it 1

You're going to get some nuances in the single barrels that you won't get with the small batches.  You could do the CEHT SmB, 4R SmB or SmB Select, and then replace the HM with maybe an OGD BIB.  Regardless that's a good line up you have.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.