Jump to content
Jazz June

Little Book Chapter 3 - a KSBW

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink
6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I've been 'listening' to all the comments here, and awaiting someone's impressions of the actual distillate. 

I thought by now, someone might've been able to sample it, if not obtain a bottle.   

From the description available from B/S I'd have to imagine this would be a wonderful Bourbon, and that I'd love it; but, of course the actual percentages of the various barrels will certainly alter the profile a good deal.   

The fact that it's all barrel proof Bourbon (I believe) and is bottled NCF makes it likely to be at least an interesting pour.

The main caveat, as is so often the case any more, is that MSRP: $125.   That means it likely won't see many shelves (if it indeed actually sees ANY shelves) below $150.

I'm not sure I want to try it that badly.   If, after trying it at some smaller quantity (and lower cash-outlay), it really blew my hair back, I might change my mind.

At least here I've seen the previous Little Books at or below MSRP with some regularity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

At least here I've seen the previous Little Books at or below MSRP with some regularity. 

Well!!!!   If it turns out to happen that way, I could see myself jumping in without that "try-before-I-buy" caveat... assuming it drops below $90.  ;)

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
45 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Well!!!!   If it turns out to happen that way, I could see myself jumping in without that "try-before-I-buy" caveat... assuming it drops below $90.  ;)

Yeah that would be an easy decision for me as well, though I'm also likely in at $125 because of my well established history of self control

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

Sorry to resurrect this one but...I've spotted this in the wild out my way @ $125 MSRP.  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Should I pull the trigger?

 

Thanks,

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geclbxf
4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Sorry to resurrect this one but...I've spotted this in the wild out my way @ $125 MSRP.  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Should I pull the trigger?

 

Thanks,

I would pull the trigger - its that good!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
I would pull the trigger - its that good!

I agree, even though I actually paid less than $125 for my bottle, I’d probably pay that if I found another at $125!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

I just posted that I had bought this in the “what did you purchase” thread. I tried it too and I liked it based on the initial sampling. I passed on buying more than 1 which I may regret, as it was $100 which sounds reasonable for it this year 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoCubs85
On 10/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Sorry to resurrect this one but...I've spotted this in the wild out my way @ $125 MSRP.  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Should I pull the trigger?

 

Thanks,

As other's have stated...it's pretty good.  I found one and even though it's a bit pricey I would probably buy another just to have in the bunker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzhead
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Sorry to resurrect this one but...I've spotted this in the wild out my way @ $125 MSRP.  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Should I pull the trigger?

 

Thanks,

Yes, pull the trigger.   Don't worry about the price, it's only money.  Pull the trigger.

 

I hadn't noticed this thread when I posted just a couple of minutes ago on the new thread for Remus Reserve Series III.   I had loved the previous edition of that MGP blend,  and compared it with the Little Book Chapter 3 that I just cracked open this weekend.    Here's what I posted on that other thread:

 

"I am a huge proponent of what careful blending can do to produce top-notch bourbon.    That's what MGP has done here [with Remus Reserve], as well as with its former, and also excellent,  product Metze's Select.   I cracked open this weekend the new Little Book, Chapter 3, and was immediately reminded of the bliss I recalled from my long-dead Remus Reserve bottles.   (Little Book, Chapter 3 is a blending of extra-aged Beam bourbons, just as RR is extra-aged MGP bourbons, both high and low-rye recipes.   The major difference is that RR is bottled at a "normal" proof,  whereas the Little Book is cask strength.)

 

Trying the Little Book side by side with Bookers makes for an interesting case study in just what blending brings to the table.    Both were excellent pours, and with obvious familial similarities, but there are differences.    Simply stated,  Booker's punches, while Little Book beguiles.    To employ another metaphor, Little Book's blending of compatible,  extra-aged bourbons makes the journey from start to finish as smooth and exhilarating as a steel roller coaster,  as compared with the intense, wild ride of a wooden coaster that is full-strength Bookers.

 

The Remus Reserve is no head-chopper;   it's a balanced expression of the best that MGP makes.   If I can find it,  I'll gladly buy Series III,  including an extra bottle to bunker.  

 

To me, what RR and LB Chapter 3 are doing is where the future may lie.   Neither is cheap,  but each is worth the price charged.   Given the dubious nature of some of what's being marketed out there for $100 bucks a pop,  I can unreservedly recommend these two to anyone lucky enough to run across them. '       

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ccleve23

I bought it this weekend and I think it is super tasty.  Very happy with the purchase.  I would like to buy more but at that price point it is hard for me.  I am happy drinking one till it is gone.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Yes, pull the trigger.   Don't worry about the price, it's only money.  Pull the trigger.

 

I hadn't noticed this thread when I posted just a couple of minutes ago on the new thread for Remus Reserve Series III.   I had loved the previous edition of that MGP blend,  and compared it with the Little Book Chapter 3 that I just cracked open this weekend.    Here's what I posted on that other thread:

 

"I am a huge proponent of what careful blending can do to produce top-notch bourbon.    That's what MGP has done here [with Remus Reserve], as well as with its former, and also excellent,  product Metze's Select.   I cracked open this weekend the new Little Book, Chapter 3, and was immediately reminded of the bliss I recalled from my long-dead Remus Reserve bottles.   (Little Book, Chapter 3 is a blending of extra-aged Beam bourbons, just as RR is extra-aged MGP bourbons, both high and low-rye recipes.   The major difference is that RR is bottled at a "normal" proof,  whereas the Little Book is cask strength.)

 

Trying the Little Book side by side with Bookers makes for an interesting case study in just what blending brings to the table.    Both were excellent pours, and with obvious familial similarities, but there are differences.    Simply stated,  Booker's punches, while Little Book beguiles.    To employ another metaphor, Little Book's blending of compatible,  extra-aged bourbons makes the journey from start to finish as smooth and exhilarating as a steel roller coaster,  as compared with the intense, wild ride of a wooden coaster that is full-strength Bookers.

 

The Remus Reserve is no head-chopper;   it's a balanced expression of the best that MGP makes.   If I can find it,  I'll gladly buy Series III,  including an extra bottle to bunker.  

 

To me, what RR and LB Chapter 3 are doing is where the future may lie.   Neither is cheap,  but each is worth the price charged.   Given the dubious nature of some of what's being marketed out there for $100 bucks a pop,  I can unreservedly recommend these two to anyone lucky enough to run across them. '       

Appreciate the feedback.  Deciding between this or a bottle or two of ECBP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoCubs85
1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Appreciate the feedback.  Deciding between this or a bottle or two of ECBP.  

Go Little Book - Couple of reasons, ECBP is more accessible it seems so you should always be able to get that.  Little Book is IMO much more unique and bold and worth the money.  I'm still searching for my 2nd bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley

I opened one of the LB #3 but haven't formed an opinion yet after only the one pour. I will say it was a lot more complex, smoother and better mouthfeel than a 120 proof Knob Creek I had on hand to compare it with.

 

I was surprised there wasn't more family resemblance noted, which is encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
6 hours ago, GoCubs85 said:

Go Little Book - Couple of reasons, ECBP is more accessible it seems so you should always be able to get that.  Little Book is IMO much more unique and bold and worth the money.  I'm still searching for my 2nd bottle.

Good to know.  I have a special occasion coming up soon so may be a good excuse to celebrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoCubs85
20 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Good to know.  I have a special occasion coming up soon so may be a good excuse to celebrate.

There are finally some YouTube tasting videos on it if you want a better profile of what you’re getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThirstyinOhio

I just bought a bottle of LB3 a few hours ago but I got to try it at KBF.  I really enjoyed it when I sampled it, but it was also at Fred Noe's house in Bardstown while eating steak, BBQ, and listening to Fred tell stories so the environment might have made it even better that what it really is.  I plan on cracking this bottle this weekend to soon find out.

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley
30 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I just bought a bottle of LB3 a few hours ago but I got to try it at KBF.  I really enjoyed it when I sampled it, but it was also at Fred Noe's house in Bardstown while eating steak, BBQ, and listening to Fred tell stories so the environment might have made it even better that what it really is.  I plan on cracking this bottle this weekend to soon find out.

Wow that sounds like a great way to spend an evening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley

My local had three bottles of Little Book 3 on the shelf. This place is a bottle shop and allows spirits bottles to be opened and sampled on premise as long as it's a less than 1/2 oz pour.

 

I talked my buddy into buying one. (based on my own recent purchase and initial favorable impression) The bottle was opened and sampled between eight or nine lucky regulars. (this is a fun place to be) 

 

Within about five minutes I knew I wanted to grab another bottle. At the price of 107$ not a bad deal considering. My buddy saw me heading back there and he raced back also to get the other one. Within 7 minutes the shelf went from three bottles to 0. I now have a spare and so does my buddy. Whoohoo. This is some good stuff and shows the door to the WT Cornerstone I think I wasted money on- even tho that's not a bad pour, it's just not showing what I would expect for that echelon.  

 

Oh well, some days it's more of a crapshoot than others...

 

Cheers,

RW

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
11 hours ago, RWBadley said:

My local had three bottles of Little Book 3 on the shelf. This place is a bottle shop and allows spirits bottles to be opened and sampled on premise as long as it's a less than 1/2 oz pour.

 

I talked my buddy into buying one. (based on my own recent purchase and initial favorable impression) The bottle was opened and sampled between eight or nine lucky regulars. (this is a fun place to be)

Wait a minute. Does that store provide open samples to try, or are you saying patrons have to purchase a bottle to have the privilege of opening a bottle to share with other customers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley

They do have several open samples to try, depending on what's on hand.

 

As a patron if you purchase a bottle they can open it and they must pour it for you. There is a small charge of $1 I think it is.  If it's beer you can drink it (and finish it) there. If it's wine you can drink it and take the remainder home- tho we do have open container laws here...

 

If it's spirits, they have (so far been able to) open the purchase and (they must) pour small pour of under 1/2 oz. At least this is my understanding but i am not privy to all the liquor laws here. I assume they are familiar with and would not jeopardize their license. 

 

Cheers,

RW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzhead

My bottle of LB3 is now about two-thirds full, allowing it to air out nicely.  My goodness, this is marvelous stuff,  and improving by the dram.   

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

My bottle of LB3 is now about two-thirds full, allowing it to air out nicely.  My goodness, this is marvelous stuff,  and improving by the dram.   

Nice to hear.  I'm closer to 1/3 - 1/4 full and will revisit this weekend.  Agree it is fantastic.  May be my best pour from 2019 thus far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

I'm 4/4 full, finally pulled the trigger today and I'm excited!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

I'm thinking the 9yo Basil Hayden's component carries a large percentage of this blend-- which is what piqued my interest in the first place. Thinnish, dry and sweet-- yet elegant and nicely balanced-- a bourbon doughnut with a slight hole in the middle where the arrival should be.

 

IMG_3313.thumb.jpg.545578605f1c3c848bb215118038f769.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazz June

I cracked one of these and it is very good. I’d also expect it to improve with air being BP and all. Lot of Basil Hayden flavor on entry and a big cherry cola sweetness on the finish. Likely the best bourbon I have ever had from the Beam distillery. It’s not cheap but I’m considering how many to pick up while I still can.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.