Don't look for any liquor bargains in VA any time soon!

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"So, fantasy time: Is there a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle in Idaho on the clearance shelf because no one was really interested?"

I was in Boise, Idaho 2 weeks ago and went by 3 different state run liquor stores. I was looking for for those leftover bottles and I there was none to be found in Idaho frown.gif

You know, it's a lot easier letting a 'collectible' bottle of bourbon sit on the shelf awhile when there are so many excellent whiskeys still available to taste. Since I'm relatively new to bourbon -- only been 'drinking around' the gamut for the last 18 months or so -- there are plenty I still have yet to try. Eventually, when I get bored by familiarity with all that's available to me, I suspect I'll pop open one of those Pappy 23s. But, until I've sampled many more less expensive/rare/exotic ones, they'll stay on the 'collection' shelf.

Although we always HAVE to taste any bottling we get, we certainly see your point. There are so many varieties of quality bourbon available even in VA through the state store, we can enjoy bourbon often and rarely find ourselves looking longingly at some premium bottling on our shelf that we're trying to "stretch out."

Still, having Pappy 23 but not tasting it? That borders on masochism! lol.gif

Still, having Pappy 23 but not tasting it? That borders on masochism!

You've seen the price on that stuff. Simply buying it is masochism. Drinking it without enjoying ownership for awhile would be sado-masochism!

Once again I find myself agreeing with Tim. My 23yr old Pappy is going to sit on the shelf for awhile. Some time later I will enjoy it. Since it's from the same stock as the current 20yr old, one can always try that selection for a more reasonable price and keep the former unopened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.