NYC Liquor Store Suggestions

BourbonHog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My brother used to live in Manhattan (some time ago) and I do remember going to Schumer's Wine & Liquors for some Scotch.  Their selection was great and the prices not over the top given their location.  The store had a 25yr Pappy behind glass for $13,999, which was amusing to look at...other stores had their price gauging selection of rarer Bourbons on the shelves (Weller 12 for $299.99, etc), but if my memory serves me correctly the above mentioned store was the one to go to....good luck.

For a good laugh check out the prices in the store inside Grand Central. Astor Wines & Spirits usually has some good store picks. Yorkshire Wines & Spirits on the upper east side is a decent store but in general, you're not going to find any amazing deals in the city.

2 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Astor

agreed - Astor is excellent - also has a great website to check out before you hit up the store. 

As someone who shops in NYC I would recommend Astor and a walk around the block to Warehouse, not coincidentally I don't shop at either as much as a couple other stores but Astor certainly has a very good selection and Warehouse has better prices on many things than most stores in the city.  That being said NYC is not for the faint of heart when it comes to prices. The suggestion of Schumer's is a good one, I haven't shopped there in a while but when I worked in that part of town I stopped there on occasion. I'll also throw a hat in for 58 Street Wine, Shawn the owner is very enthusiastic about bourbon and has a good selection with some harder to come by bottles. 

• I like it 1

I stayed near the WTC for work, and while Tribeca is certainly not a value area, I liked the people at Chambers St. Wines, and they had a few harder to find things, Scotch and Bourbon. I few nearby shops had decent selection and prices compared to midtown.
Wouldn't be worth a trip completely out of the way, though.

I agree with Astor but Michael Towne Liquor and Wines @ 73 Clark St in Brooklyn Heights maybe worth checking out as well.  I have got some deals there.

• I like it 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:22 PM, dad-proof said:

I stayed near the WTC for work, and while Tribeca is certainly not a value area, I liked the people at Chambers St. Wines, and they had a few harder to find things, Scotch and Bourbon. I few nearby shops had decent selection and prices compared to midtown.
Wouldn't be worth a trip completely out of the way, though.

This is a store I shop and I don't think I've ever bought whiskey there, maybe once, not the biggest selection but always a few very interesting things and sometimes at very good prices, particularly for NY but I tend to stick to Grape, Apple and Sugar based spirits there. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This is a store I shop and I don't think I've ever bought whiskey there, maybe once, not the biggest selection but always a few very interesting things and sometimes at very good prices, particularly for NY but I tend to stick to Grape, Apple and Sugar based spirits there. 

I picked up a Kilkerran before it was available in GA, and a B517 ECBP,  both well priced. But yes their overall strength is in other areas.

• I like it 1

On 8/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, kevinbrink said:

As someone who shops in NYC I would recommend Astor and a walk around the block to Warehouse, not coincidentally I don't shop at either as much as a couple other stores but Astor certainly has a very good selection and Warehouse has better prices on many things than most stores in the city.  That being said NYC is not for the faint of heart when it comes to prices. The suggestion of Schumer's is a good one, I haven't shopped there in a while but when I worked in that part of town I stopped there on occasion. I'll also throw a hat in for 58 Street Wine, Shawn the owner is very enthusiastic about bourbon and has a good selection with some harder to come by bottles. 

Does Costco sell liquor in NY or NJ?

On 8/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, kaiserhog said:

I agree with Astor but Michael Towne Liquor and Wines @ 73 Clark St in Brooklyn Heights maybe worth checking out as well.  I have got some deals there.

Amen, this was my old stomping grounds and they have some good stuff here.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, DCFan said:

Does Costco sell liquor in NY or NJ?

A few stores in NJ do (Wayne and Edison) but most don't, instead they have an independent store attached that doesn't carry the Kirkland stuff. NY doesn't have chain liquor stores so I think there is 1 maybe, there is also as far as I know just one Total Wine in Westbury, LI and it doesn't show up on the TW website. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.