Thinking of Purchasing...?

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

And what bride wouldn't want 50 or so bourbon enthusiasts at her wedding?

And, if it's Saturday night, the SB brothers and sisters picnic and cookout is their reception. What could be better ?

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Pay no more than 80 dollars for the top 20% of bottles of spirits that you buy

And pay less than 60 dollars for the next 20%

Pay less than 50 dollars for the next 40%

Find at least one bottle you think is delicious for $40 or less, and purchase a bottle at this price point at least 20% of the time.

Exceptions can be made for anything that is not still going into barrels today in the same way, ie the product or flavor is extinct.

Exceptions to this rule are the VWs and the Antique Collection if you can get them for 200 or less after tax. Not extinct, but exceptional. Above 200, pass.

If you're going to engage in the over 100 market...

Make a grim assessment of how many years of drinking you likely have in your drinking career. Then...

Buy no more than 2 per remaining year total at the $200 or below level.

Buy no more than 0.5 per remaining year total at the $350 or below level.

Don't pay more than $350 for ANYTHING. And that 350 had better be some once in a lifetime stuff, which the Booker's Rye and 30th were (Rye for the taste, 30th for containing liquid that the man himself distilled [so was the rye]).

Think HARD about whether you want to fill those precious spaces with the mainstay of limited edition cash-grabs of the bubble era.

That will be my consistent answer for a few years, probably.

The above spending model will still cost you a lot of money if you decide to engage in the extincts or the once-in-a-lifetimes, but it will save you from the worst effects of the bubble.

This keeps you into Booker's and 4R store pick territory, but saves you from the Peerlesses and the Kentucky Owls.

If I follow these, particularly the ones relying on "how many years of drinking" I probably have left, at least half my bunker would be up for sale, and I could NEVER buy another of anything.  Just thinking about this is enough to drive a body to drink.  AND, I better hurry. 

• I like it 6

On 1/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, The Black Tot said:

Find at least one bottle you think is delicious for $40 or less, and purchase a bottle at this price point at least 20% of the time.

Exceptions can be made for anything that is not still going into barrels today in the same way, ie the product or flavor is extinct.

Exceptions to this rule are the VWs and the Antique Collection if you can get them for 200 or less after tax. Not extinct, but exceptional. Above 200, pass.

Make a grim assessment of how many years of drinking you likely have in your drinking career. Then...

Don't pay more than $350 for ANYTHING. And that 350 had better be some once in a lifetime stuff, which the Booker's Rye and 30th were (Rye for the taste, 30th for containing liquid that the man himself distilled [so was the rye]).

Think HARD about whether you want to fill those precious spaces with the mainstay of limited edition cash-grabs of the bubble era.

The above spending model will still cost you a lot of money if you decide to engage in the extincts or the once-in-a-lifetimes, but it will save you from the worst effects of the bubble.

This keeps you into Booker's and 4R store pick territory, but saves you from the Peerlesses and the Kentucky Owls.

Agreed.  Keeps my budget in check and gives me room to splurge if I run across Pappy, BTAC, stuff like Little Book or OF15.  Also helps me explore the best of the "middle/bottom" shelves.  

• I like it 3

On 1/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, The Black Tot said:

I'm about to have 2.5mo off to try to untwist my psyche. Although a friend might be getting married on Bardstown weekend (DOH!!!)

It's not your fault you already had plans when your friend scheduled his or her wedding!  Also, you said "a friend", not "my best friend".

• I like it 2

On 1/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, The Black Tot said:

Me in the liquor store. 

B48B0985-260A-4BA7-8873-4AE9C9A80DE5.jpeg

• I like it 5

59 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Me in the liquor store. 

Let's be real - this is still gonna be you at the liquor store...

studio-portrait-of-american-actor-don-knotts-as-deputy-barney-fife-picture-id57656299?k=6&m=57656299&s=612x612&w=0&h=lyFMXaAQOX9w0hpTCitpQjkAwhJ2ZdlRyx5USE0KiN8=

• I like it 5

52 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

A little over my budget this month but saw 1792 FP for $45. Thoughts?

Well worth $45.  Go for it!

30 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Well worth $45.  Go for it!

Ugh, the wife may not like it but will pick up tomorrow.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Ugh, the wife may not like it but will pick up tomorrow.

"It's MUCH easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"!  Goes equally well for brown spirits and guns.   ?

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

"It's MUCH easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"!  Goes equally well for brown spirits and guns.   ?

But what the wife doesn't know about won't hurt her right. 

Pro tip: when purchasing something(bourbon or guns) you don't want the wife to know about, make sure to pay cash and sneak it into the house when she is not around. Thank goodness my wife doesn't keep an inventory of my gun safe or my bourbon bunker.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Double C's said:

Thank goodness my wife doesn't keep an inventory of my gun safe or my bourbon bunker.

My wife has her own gun (S&W 640 PC) and her Permit to Carry. She also keeps all of her jewelry in the gunsafe.  And she walks by the bunker when she does the wash as well as access the gunsafe. Can you guess how hard it is to sleep with one eye always open???  ?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Double C's said:

Thank goodness my wife doesn't keep an inventory of my gun safe or my bourbon bunker.

At least not that you know of.  She's probably saving the information for when she wants something expensive...  :D

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

At least not that you know of.  She's probably saving the information for when she wants something expensive...  :D

Boom. I'm betting fosmith speaks from experience here!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, fosmith said:

First, she would have to know where the key to the gun safe is which I am pretty sure she doesn't ?. Also, she never knew how many guns I had before we got married so a couple of new ones won't make a difference. However, the problem I am now facing is that I am running out of room in my safe and she would probably get suspicious if I were to buy another one. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.