Sign in to follow this  
BigSkyDrams

Kentucky Owl Confiscated

BigSkyDrams

Was offered a chance to purchase for $150. Reading up on it briefly there seems to be a complete dearth of information like component origin, age, mashbill, etc. Plus, that would be the most I’ve ever spent on a bottle of whiskey. So fairly easy pass for me.

However, I know their one-off bourbons were pretty well received, and I guess I just have a general FOMO, so I thought I’d put it out to your respected opinions before declining. Anyone have any info or opinions that might change my mind?

Supercharger

Nope. 

BusterChestnut

Their batch 1 rye is still around and I thought it was great. If you’re going to drop coin on KO, that’s be the bottle I’d seek out.

Not too many +100pf +10yr KSRW’s out there for anything less than a mortgage payment

BigSkyDrams
10 minutes ago, BusterChestnut said:

Their batch 1 rye is still around and I thought it was great. If you’re going to drop coin on KO, that’s be the bottle I’d seek out.

Not too many +100pf +10yr KSRW’s out there for anything less than a mortgage payment

I’ve got one in the cabinet waiting on a special occasion to open. But if I saw another reasonably priced I’d probably pick it up as backup. Thanks!

BMartin42

There is a thread here somewhere about it but I’m on my phone and have trouble searching on it. General consensus was a big pass. My buddy did buy a bottle and our personal thoughts were run away. Run away far, run away fast.

BigSkyDrams
1 minute ago, BMartin42 said:

There is a thread here somewhere about it but I’m on my phone and have trouble searching on it. General consensus was a big pass. My buddy did buy a bottle and our personal thoughts were run away. Run away far, run away fast.

Oops, I did run a search and didn’t find anything immediately so figured I was in the clear. 

Thanks for the input. At $150, running away is not too difficult.

It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just not that it’s good either...

EarthQuake

The general consensus seems to be that it's a good buy... at $50.

• I like it 1

flahute
2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

The general consensus seems to be that it's a good buy... at $50.

LOL!

I think that's generous........

• I like it 2

Mako254

Haven’t had it but talking to people who have (and I trust their palates) Dixon did a nice job blending a balanced bourbon BUT it ain’t $150. Very few bottles (for me) are worthy of $100 plus. 

I won’t pay it for Russsell’s picks (even the sexy ones) and I won’t pay it for Four Roses picks.  

• I like it 2

Bob_Loblaw
On 9/5/2019 at 2:04 PM, Mako254 said:

Haven’t had it but talking to people who have (and I trust their palates) Dixon did a nice job blending a balanced bourbon BUT it ain’t $150. Very few bottles (for me) are worthy of $100 plus. 

I won’t pay it for Russsell’s picks (even the sexy ones) and I won’t pay it for Four Roses picks.  

This is pretty much my opinion.  I have tried and enjoyed Confiscated and I think it would fair better then people think in a blind tasting.  However, this is a situation where I steadfastly refuse to purchase any of these releases as I am not a fan of the KO business model of artificially driving up prices.  

• I like it 1

berto

Nyet comrade.  Wise Owl confiscates your money.

• I like it 2

Shizzy

I'm on my third bottle, but I throw my disposable cash around at bourbon with reckless abandon.  That said, JB Distiller's Cut at my Total Wine for $17.50 is every bit as good.

• I like it 1

fishnbowljoe

Thanks, but no thanks. I’ve been passing on this @ $102.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Clueby
31 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks, but no thanks. I’ve been passing on this @ $102.99. 

Biba! Joe

Cheapest I've seen it is $120.  I've also seen it as high as $180 or so.  Its a hard pass for me at pretty much any price.

• I like it 2