Just for sh-ts and grins...

CaptBud
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like some of you have indicated in other posts, I keep track of my liquor purchases in a spreadsheet.  Not sure why I hadn’t thought of this earlier but, the other day, I decided to add some totals & calculations at the bottom of each sheet to see what I had actually spent and also to get an average cost per bottle.  I was a bit surprised with the result, thinking that my average cost would be higher than what it worked out to be.   So, contrary to what my wife says, maybe I’m really more frugal than I thought?   ;o)   And, yes, a small number of 1L and 1.75L bottles makes it just a bit less accurate.  Here are my results for the 3 sheets for whiskies, with ~80% of it all being bourbon:

Bourbon average $33.11  -  high CEHTBP  -  low Old Crow 1.75L (sentimental choice)

Rye average $27.89  -  high CEHT  -  low George Dickel

Other Whisk(e)y average $30.59  -  high Nikka Whisky from the Barrel  -  low Jim Beam Red Stag (great with Coke)

Anyone else done something similar with yours?  Just in case this is all taken the wrong way...not trying to make any kind of statement (good or bad) with this, I just found it rather interesting and fun.  Moderators - if this is out of line, please delete!

26 minutes ago, CaptBud said:

Like some of you have indicated in other posts, I keep track of my liquor purchases in a spreadsheet.  Not sure why I hadn’t thought of this earlier but, the other day, I decided to add some totals & calculations at the bottom of each sheet to see what I had actually spent and also to get an average cost per bottle.  I was a bit surprised with the result, thinking that my average cost would be higher than what it worked out to be.   So, contrary to what my wife says, maybe I’m really more frugal than I thought?   ;o)   And, yes, a small number of 1L and 1.75L bottles makes it just a bit less accurate.  Here are my results for the 3 sheets for whiskies, with ~80% of it all being bourbon:

Bourbon average $33.11  -  high CEHTBP  -  low Old Crow 1.75L (sentimental choice)

Other Whisk(e)y average $30.59  -  high Nikka Whisky from the Barrel  -  low Jim Beam Red Stag (great with Coke)

Anyone else done something similar with yours?  Just in case this is all taken the wrong way...not trying to make any kind of statement (good or bad) with this, I just found it rather interesting and fun.  Moderators - if this is out of line, please delete!

I did this with my cigar purchases several years ago and found out I was smoking up 1/4 of a new car or 1/4 of a year's house payments each year so gave up cigars.  I learned my lesson: When it comes to bourbon purchases, DON'T DO THIS!!!!! :D

EDIT - What I mean?  Taking your numbers, $33 times a hypothetical number of bottles I buy a month (let's say 6 hahaha) times 12 months is $2,876 a year.  I am SO glad my mortgage is paid off.

EDIT 2 - In other words, I don't REALLY want to know.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 7

17 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

EDIT 2 - In other words, I don't REALLY want to know.

Exactly.  If I knew, then I'd have to answer honestly if anyone asked.

Don't self incriminate !

:)

• I like it 5

19 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I did this with my cigar purchases several years ago and found out I was smoking up 1/4 of a new car or 1/4 of a year's house payments each year so gave up cigars.  I learned my lesson: When it comes to bourbon purchases, DON'T DO THIS!!!!! :D

Yep, I completely get this!  Keeping a spreadsheet inventory keeps it all front and center for me.  I’m trying - really trying - to be much more selective in what I purchase nowadays.  If I live long enough to actually consume what I’ve acquired, I’ll be one lucky (and very old) man!

• I like it 5

7 minutes ago, CaptBud said:

Yep, I completely get this!  Keeping a spreadsheet inventory keeps it all front and center for me.  I’m trying - really trying - to be much more selective in what I purchase nowadays.  If I live long enough to actually consume what I’ve acquired, I’ll be one lucky (and very old) man!

BTW, what part of Wyoming do you live in (sort of)?  I have an Army buddy (VN Era) in Cheyenne, and I've fished the Yellowstone area and along the Shoshone into Cody.  Mostly with Eastern US equipment.  People laughed at my Orvis 864 5 weight. Your mention of "wind" triggered some memories from up there.  A FLOOD of memories.

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

BTW, what part of Wyoming do you live in (sort of)?

Same area as your buddy.  I’m retired Air Force.  I was born and raised in PA.  Opportunities in the military brought me to WY.  Real mountains (compared to back east), hunting (multiple big game species), fishing, hiking, camping + fewer humans = heaven on earth for me!  It sounds like you’ve enjoyed some of what’s great about WY.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

BTW, what part of Wyoming do you live in (sort of)?  I have an Army buddy (VN Era) in Cheyenne, and I've fished the Yellowstone area and along the Shoshone into Cody.  Mostly with Eastern US equipment.  People laughed at my Orvis 864 5 weight. Your mention of "wind" triggered some memories from up there.  A FLOOD of memories.

First trip I used Eastern equipment, next trip brought along my 8 wgt bass rig just in case.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, squire said:

First trip I used Eastern equipment, next trip brought along my 8 wgt bass rig just in case.

Love this East / West comparison. When I first fished in Wyoming (after formative years on little Wisconsin creeks and streams), I was wondering what the hell could the challenge be?  The streams in WY and CO were like four lane highways!  ...Of course...I found out soon enough. 

• I like it 1

On 9/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, CaptBud said:

This exercise is definitely NOT grin producing and it's more of a HOLY SH*T around my house.  I added up this year at only two stores I frequent and I'm over $6k on the year.  I'm not keeping track anymore.  It makes me drink more bourbon.

• I like it 2

On 9/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, Steven C said:

Love this East / West comparison. When I first fished in Wyoming (after formative years on little Wisconsin creeks and streams), I was wondering what the hell could the challenge be?  The streams in WY and CO were like four lane highways!  ...Of course...I found out soon enough. 

FWIW, after my experience in Wyoming with my 4 piece 5 weight and the loss of a dozen or so flies and two lines, I bought a Winston 8 piece 8 weight to fish in Oregon.  It worked on the North Umpqua (Steamboat Inn), several spots on the Sandy River (especially near the hatchery), and in downtown Grants Pass on the Rogue using a selection of salmon flies I'd been given as a gift years ago.  In short, I learned my lesson.  ALSO, that belt that keeps water out of waders really DOES work.:D

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, CaptBud said:

A few years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to add up all that I spent that year on whiskey and it was eye popping so I no longer try to keep track...…ignorance is bliss.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 4

I've had a recent large unexpected expense that has curtailed my whiskey spending for the rest of this year at least.  I'm still reflecting on what I've accumulated over the last three years of actively hoarding a bunker. 

I don't have spreadsheets (I like surprises), but I have a general notion of what and how much.  The total cost makes me sh*t, and the bunker makes me grin. 

"I'd trade it all for a little more." 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.