Knob Creek Barrel Pick

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heading to Cleremont at 2:00 pm today to do a Barrel Pick of Knob Creek with John O's.  I'll take a bunch of pictures and let you guys know how it went.  Excited to do my first Private Selection.

• I like it 14

Heading to Cleremont at 2:00 pm today to do a Barrel Pick of Knob Creek with John O's.  I'll take a bunch of pictures and let you guys know how it went.  Excited to do my first Private Selection.

Sweet have fun and yeah share the pics and experience here.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Enjoy it man!

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

On my bucket list.  Dream is to do a Four Roses or Wild Turkey pick one day.  Enjoy the day.

Did that in August.  Enjoy!  Be sure to ask lots of questions of whoever is leading the picking process.  They are a wealth of knowledge.  Get the latest scoop on KC12, Bakers, etc.  Seemed to be plans, but still in a state of flux when I was there...

6 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Have fun and enjoy Kevin. FWIW, I stopped at John O’s when we were down back in April. Nice store, good people. Bought a couple of things. The most interesting was their MM46 PS

Biba! Joe

We just got back from there last week. All 3 barrels were very good. Jim Beam did a 1st class job. You will really enjoy it. 

Just got back from Cleremont where we did our KC PS.  All the selections are done in Warehouse K, although that's not where our barrels came from.

KC6.jpeg

KC7.jpeg

KC1.jpeg

• I like it 5

Once inside they told us about the barrels and gave us our note books and pens to write down our thoughts.  I got to knock the bung out of one of the barrels and then it was on to tasting.

KC2.jpeg

KC5.jpeg

• I like it 5

Two of the barrels got more votes than the third one so we did a second tasting, blind and chose our pick.  The first barrel I nosed was by far the best from that aspect.  Flavor wise it was very close to my second choice.  In fact the nose on my first choice was so good that I was able to pick it out, just by aroma alone, in the blind test.  That was the barrel we ended up picking.  They were all in the 9 year range so they weren't as oakey as some of the other KC PS bottles I've tasted, but it still was a great barrel.  More floral and spice than I normally get from KC with a nice finish.

I even got to name the pick although I promised the LS Owner that I wouldn't give that information out until the bottles hit the store.

KC4.jpeg

KC3.jpeg

All three barrels came from the same rickhouse and were between 131 - 132 proof.  They were all barreled on January 21, 2010.  In fact my top two choices sat side by side in the rickhouse.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 11

C'nardly wait to taste the final result, Kevin!    Hopefully it'll be around before April, so we'll be analyzing it in the Gazebo when we come down there.   ?

Loox like a wonderful time, my friend!   ?

• I like it 1

Were all the tasting at barrel proof? I've noticed the taste changes quite a bit on KC even though you're only lowering the proof 10% or so. Sounds like a great day! 

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Were all the tasting at barrel proof? I've noticed the taste changes quite a bit on KC even though you're only lowering the proof 10% or so. Sounds like a great day! 

You taste right out of the barrel at Beam so you have to estimate how to proof it down yourself.

10 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Yes they were.  Two of them were 131.? and the third was 132.?

20 hours ago, flahute said:

You taste right out of the barrel at Beam so you have to estimate how to proof it down yourself.

Thanks. That's good information to know ahead of time for those fortunate enough to get to pick at Clermont. Loved the pics C&B. Got to be great picking a barrel while surrounded by thousands of others. 

Hope the barrel pick turns out well for you guys. :) 

I offer accurate downproofing services to anyone who wants to involve me in a pick.

I bought the gear.

Just sayin'

• I like it 1

For those that have compared the 2, how are the 9 y.o. comparing to the 14 and 15 y.o. picks? Last night saw a 9 y.o. but passed on it as one of my local LS still has a 15 y.o. 

6 hours ago, ondarocks said:

For those that have compared the 2, how are the 9 y.o. comparing to the 14 and 15 y.o. picks? Last night saw a 9 y.o. but passed on it as one of my local LS still has a 15 y.o. 

Every barrel is different. There are exceptional 9yr old barrels and 15yr barrels that are dogs. Older is not always better, at least after a point. I'm not buying any 2yr whiskey. But after 7-8yrs, you never know until you taste it.

• I like it 5

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Shizzy said:

On my bucket list.  Dream is to do a Four Roses or Wild Turkey pick one day.  Enjoy the day.

Never ceased to be amazed/impressed by the avatars of new joiners.  Creative

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.