What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You ain’t the first one this has happened to brother. You also probably won’t be the last. [emoji57]

Biba! Joe

Preach it, Brother Joe! [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

Passed on a Little Book 3 for $93 today, but only because I already have one (that I paid more for). Also OWA for $170.

I passed on a Weller SR yesterday, but it’s not what you think.  :unsure: 

My wife and I had to go out after work yesterday. So, since we had to go out, we decided to get our weekend shopping done early. Of course I just had to stop at the liquor store. ?  I stopped in just to check things out, and maybe get a Xmas present for my son. As I walked by the checkout counter on my way into the store,  I saw a lone bottle of Weller SR on the shelf behind the counter. No biggie I thought. I’ll just grab it on my way out. I walked around a while, and actually found something I thought my son would like. I grabbed the bottle and headed for the checkout counter. The Weller was still there. It was then that I recognized the lady in line in front of me.  (FWIW, she hadn’t seen me yet.) Her father in law owns almost all of the bowing alleys in our area, and her husband is the GM of the bowling alley that I coach Special Olympic at. She had a few bottles, and when it was her turn, she proceeded to check out. As the clerk was almost done scanning her bottles, she told him, “I’d also like that bottle of Weller please.” I let out a slight, audible groan, and she said “Oh, I’m sorry.” When she turned around and recognized me, she then said, “Oh. No I’m not.” ( I reckon my reputation preceeds me. :P) I told her it was all good because I had a few at home. She then said, “Sounds like you have a collection too. My husband has turned our family room into his bunker.”  We had a laugh, chatted a bit more, then went on our own separate ways. First time I’ve ever walked out of a store with a smile on my face after missing out on a bottle that I wanted and was within my reach. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 9

Our local store had a few bottles of Eagle Rare 17, Willet 6yr Bourbon, a Willet rye, and some other overpriced bottles. Always nice to see our selection growing but still not worth indulging the pics gouging.  

6 bottle horizontal collection of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric, with years 20 through 25 for..........$1899.

Passed on several bottles of Cream of Kentucky sitting on the shelf for $159.  I also passed on SAOS 7 year bourbon 99 proof for %44.99.  I haven't seen it in a few years.  Also passed on FR PS OBSV for $74.99  I don't know the proof but it was 9 years.

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on several bottles of Cream of Kentucky sitting on the shelf for $159.  I also passed on SAOS 7 year bourbon 99 proof for %44.99.  I haven't seen it in a few years.  Also passed on FR PS OBSV for $74.99  I don't know the proof but it was 9 years.

I would’ve bought the SAOS for that price. That’s the same as their standard SKB 4-yr MGP goes for. 

• I like it 1

On 12/23/2019 at 9:16 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Does the SAOS label say distilled in IN or TN?  That's the question.

40 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Does the SAOS label say distilled in IN or TN?  That's the question.

Indiana. That was the second thing I checked.  The first was whether it was straight bourbon or American whiskey.  There were only 3 bottles but it was in Bourbon Central (northside). I might check to see if any are left. 

Interestingly, I did see someone walk out with a Blantons at one of the local grocers.

I passed on Little Book for $98, not a fan of anything Beam. Also, Cream of Kentucky for $140. A 12.3 yr old for that money is just too rich for my blood.

Edited by Phil T

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Passed, but I doubt these bottles made it through the night. 

27B1F2E6-F067-4B4C-BED4-F7F1D9B3B0C4.thumb.jpeg.76daa06d96decaabeed12f04b54bf2bb.jpeg

And, an extra 10% off if you pay with your Home Depot credit card!  :D

• I like it 1

Passed on all the Pappiez and several other odds and ends, and went for the Larue.   

Apparently my favorite (virtually ONLY) retailer put me in his lottery and my name was drawn, so I got a call.     Didn't expect that, or even much care; but certainly wouldn't turn it down.    This proprietor was told by his distributor a few weex ago that none of the BTAC/Pappy would be delivered before 2020.   Off  by  few days... in the RIGHT direction!     ...Still waiting to get a bottle of Little Book #3, though.

Every time I visit Willett I try to get a couple bottle of whatever single barrel they have on hand.  I have not found a single barrel Willett in a liquor store since moving to New Jersey.  This week I found some, but not willing to spend $600 a bottle

20191223_220458.jpg

In CO for a few days, & while my son was skiing, I did some LS'ing. Saw W12 at a couple places for $99, CYPB for $399 (!), and some special small batch 7yr Breckinridge for $120. Passes all. Lotsa stores & went back to the rental empty handed.

7 hours ago, ENYAW said:

Every time I visit Willett I try to get a couple bottle of whatever single barrel they have on hand.  I have not found a single barrel Willett in a liquor store since moving to New Jersey.  This week I found some, but not willing to spend $600 a bottle

20191223_220458.jpg

I was at Willett yesterday and the only WFE branded bottles were their 4 year rye. They had no WFE bourbons and literally laughed at me when I asked!

ECBP at 99.99.
GTS at 499.99.
EH Taylor Small Batch at 99.99
And many others at inflated prices. They did have the “old” Bakers at 48.99 which I kind of wanted but didn’t want to do business with such gougers.

I don’t think the manager appreciated my response when she asked if she could help me and I replied that the best thing they could do to help me was to go out of business.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

ECBP at 99.99.
GTS at 499.99.
EH Taylor Small Batch at 99.99
And many others at inflated prices. They did have the “old” Bakers at 48.99 which I kind of wanted but didn’t want to do business with such gougers.

I don’t think the manager appreciated my response when she asked if she could help me and I replied that the best thing they could do to help me was to go out of business.

you been hanging out with the Friar again?

36 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Is the Friar that bad now? 

15 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

In CO for a few days, & while my son was skiing, I did some LS'ing. Saw W12 at a couple places for $99, CYPB for $399 (!), and some special small batch 7yr Breckinridge for $120. Passes all. Lotsa stores & went back to the rental empty handed.

Tourist destinations are typically a no-go on bourbon purchasing for me. 

Yep. Decided to see if the one in Decatur was as bad since I was right there anyway. It is. Must be a corporate thing.
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Is the Friar that bad now? 

The IL ones seem to be.

Anything allocated, semi-allocated, or even talked about by bourbon enthusiasts gets full secondary pricing and put in a glass display case as a giant “FU” to anyone stopping by.

The MO locations must be under a different manager or something.

Pricing within the stores as a whole definitely does not follow a “vow of poverty”

They are okay as a second resource in town and provide some needed competition for Total Wine.

Edited by 0895

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

The IL ones seem to be.

Anything allocated, semi-allocated, or even talked about by bourbon enthusiasts gets full secondary pricing and put in a glass display case as a giant “FU” to anyone stopping by.

The MO locations must be under a different manager or something.

Pricing within the stores as a whole definitely does not follow a “vow of poverty”

They are okay as a second resource in town and provide some needed competition for Total Wine.

Wow! A number of years ago, I used to make annual or semi-annual trips down state. It was kind of a tradition to visit the Friar and a couple of other places on those trips. I remember seeing Pappy, BTAC and other LE’s  on the shelves at retail back then. The last time I was in that area was two or three years ago, and things had changed quite a bit. And not for the better. It appears they’ve only gotten worse. Sad.

• I like it 1

Passed on these in Santa Claus, Indiana. The VOSN 17 is claimed to be SW. Not sure what the source of the 8 year or the Rare Perfection bottles is?

20191229_162242.jpg

Passed on these in Santa Claus, Indiana. The VOSN 17 is claimed to be SW. Not sure what the source of the 8 year or the Rare Perfection bottles is?
20191229_162242.thumb.jpg.b6d25ec3bc9a424cb9a346f627d998f6.jpg

Tanked SW?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.