Age Statements

kaiserhog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Even if my whiskey is only 4 years old, I put the age on the label.   I think it gives the whiskey extra cachet.

Edited by kaiserhog
  • I like it 2

Never hurts to give MORE information, and to tell the whole story... right on the label... in print; I say!    Good for you.   

And, I'll further say this: 4-year-old American whiskey ain't noting crummy or even ordinary; it's a benchmark of quality!   

I've enjoyed innumerable pours of such distillates over the years, and rarely had one I didn't find a way to like.... in fact, I've liked some of 'em a whole bunch!

Agreed.  This is probably beating a dead horse but not sure what this is doing for the market in taking away age statements.  

It's odd, as I start to get into scotches and rums, they all seem only too eager to share their age, but not bourbon.  Pretty stupid if you ask me...

When only a small number of big distilleries making bourbon, the lack of age statement on 4 year whiskey was acceptable.  If it was much older, it would likely have an age statement.  These days with way way more folks producing bourbon and so many cheating on selling under 4 year old whiskey without disclosing that fact, it's in the best interest of those not cheating to include 4 years on the label.

• I like it 1

Also, the 4 year rule applies not only to bourbon but any whiskey, included imported, sold in the USA.  Even blended whiskies, if the whiskey component is under 4, it must be age stated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.