Jump to content
kevinbrink

Larceny Barrel Proof

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink

Posted the Label for this one the other day, word is this will be three releases a year at $49.99, have to say I am excited for this.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

I’m anxious to try this too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Doing backflips over here!  Really looking forward to this release.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit

I like the NCF but I’m almost thinking I’d rather have a 10+ age statement over barrel proof.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

I'd certainly be a buyer at that price!    Age-be-damned, NCF high-proof...YUP! I'm In!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
38 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I like the NCF but I’m almost thinking I’d rather have a 10+ age statement over barrel proof.

There's always Rebel Yell 10 or the Old Fitz BIB Decanters if you can find one and stomach the price. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

I've had such bad luck with Larceny that I'm firmly in the skeptical crowd here. The last bottle I had was so bad that it couldn't be blended into something decent. It took a mediocre RY10 and made it bad as well.

They first unveiled the Larceny at BP for the KBA, I think last year. (May have been this year). A friend on that pick said it wasn't that good.

So..........I'm me so I'll surely buy one to see if NCF and the possibility of better barrel selection results in a better bourbon.

We'll see!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
I'd certainly be a buyer at that price!    Age-be-damned, NCF high-proof...YUP! I'm In!


No totally agree, definitely a buyer I enjoy HH wheaters and this is no cheaper than OWA.

Just want to some of that VSOF goodness with NCF.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
There's always Rebel Yell 10 or the Old Fitz BIB Decanters if you can find one and stomach the price. 


Yup, I still have a few and even my bad barrels I thought where good of RY10.

I’m not a buyer of OF BIB decanters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spade

Decent age, NCF, and a competitive price. Count me in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

I generally agree with Flahute about Larceny, but one of my hopeful theories about why I don't like Larceny is that the proof isn't high enough to get the necessary flavor density, so... 

 

It's a good thing for SOMEONE at the very least every time proof gets bumped up, so I applaud this release.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
2 hours ago, flahute said:

I've had such bad luck with Larceny that I'm firmly in the skeptical crowd here. The last bottle I had was so bad that it couldn't be blended into something decent. It took a mediocre RY10 and made it bad as well.

They first unveiled the Larceny at BP for the KBA, I think last year. (May have been this year). A friend on that pick said it wasn't that good.

So..........I'm me so I'll surely buy one to see if NCF and the possibility of better barrel selection results in a better bourbon.

We'll see!

I'm in a similar spot here as I don't care at all for Larceny.  As a side I don't care much for MM either and I enjoy MMCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm in a similar spot here as I don't care at all for Larceny.  As a side I don't care much for MM either and I enjoy MMCS.

We are almost aligned. I also don’t like MM as I find it to be too young. On MMCS, it depends on the batch. Most I also find to be too young. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
18 minutes ago, flahute said:

We are almost aligned. I also don’t like MM as I find it to be too young. On MMCS, it depends on the batch. Most I also find to be too young. 

well admittedly I don't try that many batches and my open bottle is a 15-03.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT
4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I generally agree with Flahute about Larceny, but one of my hopeful theories about why I don't like Larceny is that the proof isn't high enough to get the necessary flavor density, so... 

 

It's a good thing for SOMEONE at the very least every time proof gets bumped up, so I applaud this release.

 

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm in a similar spot here as I don't care at all for Larceny.  As a side I don't care much for MM either and I enjoy MMCS.

 

These.  And the MM Private Selections at barrel proof have been pretty tasty.  While I'm hoping to try it before buying it, if I see it on a shelf prior to that opportunity, I'm pulling the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

I’m sure I’ve made plenty of worse mistakes than paying $50 to try this. I only fear that it won’t even be readily available at that price. I’m sure HH and the distributors will tell retailers that this is a special LE of some sort and it will be gouged in some places and behind the counter in many areas. I’m just thinking of how ECBP was for the first few years, and it being another barrel proof HH offering has certain parallels. Add in that this is a wheater and the amount of morons out there that think only wheaters can be true whalezzzzz of whiskey and I’m a little afraid. 
 

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years. “Heaven” forbid there are a few prominent reviews and social media claims that this stuff is liquid gold and “better than Weller Full Proof anyway so don’t worry if you missed out on that and stalk every store for this instead bro” and the shit show will surely follow..... 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas

I'm not a huge fan of Larceny myself.  I will say the parallel to MM is a good one.  Expecting a better product from the BP.

 

In August, we were in KY for a couple picks, and filled some spare time at HH.  The basic tour there is less than ideal for anyone but folks that are their first tour, and trying their first bourbon, but there was a highlight.  As we wandered a rickhouse, there was a barrel pick going on right off our path.  One generous soul was nice enough to pour a couple glasses of the barrel they were sampling and share with the few of us on the tour.  Turned out to be a barrel of Larceny, and was pretty tasty there in the rickhouse...

 

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
18 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years. 

Do you not have a few years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Do you not have a few years?

Ha! Yes I certainly have a few years worth of good bourbon on hand. Thankfully

 

Maybe I’ll be wrong on this one and it won’t turn into a hyped up and hard to find release. That’d be nice for once

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
On 10/11/2019 at 5:51 AM, BottledInBond said:

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years.

Still waiting for this to happen in the Bay Area.  ECBP arrives sporadically and goes quickly here.  It's not a unicorn but certainly not something you can just walk in and pick up at most liquor stores like you can with Booker's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
22 hours ago, fosmith said:

Still waiting for this to happen in the Bay Area.  ECBP arrives sporadically and goes quickly here.  It's not a unicorn but certainly not something you can just walk in and pick up at most liquor stores like you can with Booker's.

Sounds like you should visit MN. Or order from one of the MN stores that ships.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Sounds like you should visit MN. Or order from one of the MN stores that ships.....

Would love to visit MN again.  Made a number of visits to Minneapolis when my son was a student at the U and really love the city.  Didn't have time to do any bourbon hunting on those visits, tho.  But, I did enjoy watching the Gophers dominate Nebraska 34-7 yesterday and improve to 6-0. 

 

I've tried to find MN stores that ship without success.  Do you know of any that I could hook up with?  Would appreciate any tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond
1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Would love to visit MN again.  Made a number of visits to Minneapolis when my son was a student at the U and really love the city.  Didn't have time to do any bourbon hunting on those visits, tho.  But, I did enjoy watching the Gophers dominate Nebraska 34-7 yesterday and improve to 6-0. 

 

I've tried to find MN stores that ship without success.  Do you know of any that I could hook up with?  Would appreciate any tips. 

Ace Spirits and France 44 both ship for sure. Might be others 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...