The Vatting Thread 2018 and beyond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another vatting I have put together is "Poor Man's Lot-B"

• Eagle Rare (Fruity, not earthy bottle) - 360ml
  • Weller SR - 360ml
  • Paulet Cognac VS - 30ml

I let this vatting marry for ~3-4 weeks before attempting the Triangle Test (3 pour blind samples to determine which is unique) against an actual pour of Lot-B and neither myself, nor my wife, who has an INSANE palate, could identify which was different. We were so happy with how it turned out, that we made a mock-up bottle to keep it in (Dont worry, the back of the bottle has the recipe for the vatting)

20190918_121627.jpg

• I like it 1

On 11/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, clearmoon247 said:

Another vatting I have put together is "Poor Man's Lot-B"

• Eagle Rare (Fruity, not earthy bottle) - 360ml
  • Weller SR - 360ml
  • Paulet Cognac VS - 30ml

I let this vatting marry for ~3-4 weeks before attempting the Triangle Test (3 pour blind samples to determine which is unique) against an actual pour of Lot-B and neither myself, nor my wife, who has an INSANE palate, could identify which was different. We were so happy with how it turned out, that we made a mock-up bottle to keep it in (Dont worry, the back of the bottle has the recipe for the vatting)

Thanks for this.  Even with all the "finished" bourbons out there, and even when I played around (as reported on a vatting thread here) a couple years ago of trying to make [deleted by Royale Censor] drinkable by adding (1) port (2) vanilla extract (3) agave syrup (4) cinnamon (5) combos of all those, I hadn't thought of adding a brandy directly.  At least, I don't remember doing so.

I coulda.

Did I?

• I like it 2

This is a great thread. I appreciate all the input! I too don’t always appreciate the barrel proof heat.

This week I vatted an ECBP with ECSB. That finished at about 110 proof. And last night ER:SJR that came out at 103 proof.

Last year, I vatted OWA & W12 and found that to be really good. I see special reserve is in a lot of these weller blends. Is that because you think it adds depth? Or is it because it’s a good way to use less of your components?

13 minutes ago, MM818 said:

I see special reserve is in a lot of these weller blends. Is that because you think it adds depth? Or is it because it’s a good way to use less of your components?

I use Weller SR in my blend for a few reasons. It’s lighter sweetness balances out my blend by cutting the proof of the OWA down. At the same time it also softens the oaky/sooty flavor sometimes found in Weller 12. FWIW,  I like Weller SR just fine on its own, and it is by far more plentiful than either OWA or Weller 12.

”The Great And Powerful Weller Whore has spoken!”  Pay no attention to that man behind the fermenter. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I use Weller SR in my blend for a few reasons. It’s lighter sweetness balances out my blend by cutting the proof of the OWA down. At the same time it also softens the oaky/sooty flavor sometimes found in Weller 12. FWIW,  I like Weller SR just fine on its own, and it is by far more plentiful than either OWA or Weller 12.

”The Great And Powerful Weller Whore has spoken!”  Pay no attention to that man behind the fermenter. ?

Biba! Joe

Joe, 

There is something I have wondered about your blend for a long time.

Do you choose the three Weller components, that you blend,  based on their individual profiles or will

you use any 'ole WSR, W12 & OWA you purchase. 

Thank you,

Wedel

12 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Joe, 

There is something I have wondered about your blend for a long time.

Do you choose the three Weller components, that you blend,  based on their individual profiles or will

you use any 'ole WSR, W12 & OWA you purchase. 

Thank you,

Wedel

This is actually a great question Wedel.

In the past I used old label/bottle Wellers, ps Wellers, and combinations of the two. While the flavor was important to me, I admit that I was a little more concerned with using the same types of bottles. Even though I still have a few older bottlings, all I now use are the new ones. In using the new  bottles, I’ve found a flavor profile and recipe that really suits me. Weller/bourbon Zen........^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

On 11/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

This is actually a great question Wedel.

In the past I used old label/bottle Wellers, ps Wellers, and combinations of the two. While the flavor was important to me, I admit that I was a little more concerned with using the same types of bottles. Even though I still have a few older bottlings, all I now use are the new ones. In using the new  bottles, I’ve found a flavor profile and recipe that really suits me. Weller/bourbon Zen........^_^

Biba! Joe

Thank you Joe, for your answer.

That helps me decide how I will blend the batch. (BTW, this will be my first ever vatting &  it will be Your Weller Blend.)  ?

I think I will vat a blend up for the holiday season to share. 

I will report back on the results. 

Cheers,

Wedel

In a similar breathe to the Stagg Jr/Eagle Rare, I made a vatting that I feel is better than the sum of its parts. It is a mixture of equal parts WT Rare Breed (2015 - 112.8 proof) and WT101 (2014). It comes out at 106.9 proof.

After letting it marry for a couple weeks and was blown away by how good it turned out. 

Personally,  I'm not a fan of the flavor profile of this release of Rare Breed, compared to the amazing expression of 2018 to present. It makes me super happy to have a quality use of this bottle.

20191018_214537.jpg

• I like it 2

I like this Turkey blend too! 

I found the Bowman Port finished to be just too shiny, green, and young in spirit.  It was the perfect compliment to some WT101, adding some age to the blend and smoothing out the port sweetness.  I like the blend way better than the Bowman by itself! 

12 minutes ago, Guss West said:

I like this Turkey blend too! 

I found the Bowman Port finished to be just too shiny, green, and young in spirit.  It was the perfect compliment to some WT101, adding some age to the blend and smoothing out the port sweetness.  I like the blend way better than the Bowman by itself! 

I just got confused.  Clearmoon blended WT 101 and 112.8 RB in the post just before yours.  Were you referencing it or were you referencing some earlier post?  I ask because, while I like the Isaac Bowman port finish on its own, I do have to be in the mood for it, and I'm interested in any specific comments on the vatting of it with WT 101 - like, why WT instead of, say, JB BIB?  Ratios? How much trial and error?  I can get Isaac B easily here, so I can afford to mess around with it.  TIA.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I just got confused.  Clearmoon blended WT 101 and 112.8 RB in the post just before yours.  Were you referencing it or were you referencing some earlier post?  I ask because, while I like the Isaac Bowman port finish on its own, I do have to be in the mood for it, and I'm interested in any specific comments on the vatting of it with WT 101 - like, why WT instead of, say, JB BIB?  Ratios? How much trial and error?  I can get Isaac B easily here, so I can afford to mess around with it.  TIA.

I, too, wondered about this (a) vatting of Isaac Bowman Port Finish (thanks Harry!) but with JB Distiller's Cut.  Going to try 50:50 - will keep all posted!   ?

• I like it 1

Hi Harry! 

Thanks for asking.  You are correct! I was adding my approval to clearmoon's WT blend of 101 and RB.  I did this with the 116.8 quite a bit. 

(I find most within-house blends across bourbon distilleries to work out well, I think it must be their shared provenance that makes co-mingling so reliable.) 

As for the Port-finish 101.  I'll admit my first thought was "poor man's sherried turkey", but Master's Keep Revival it is not.  I went with Turkey 101 for this blend since I thought it would compliment nicely, it's one of my everyday pours, and I had a fresh handle to work with. 

I tried a few ratios in the dram before going all in.  It was good anywhere near equal ratios and I ended up at 60:40 101:Bowman. 

It got better after a couple weeks, so now I'm holding out on the rest of it.  Might have to hide it from myself for a year or two. 

8 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Hi Harry! 

Thanks for asking.  You are correct! I was adding my approval to clearmoon's WT blend of 101 and RB.  I did this with the 116.8 quite a bit. 

(I find most within-house blends across bourbon distilleries to work out well, I think it must be their shared provenance that makes co-mingling so reliable.) 

As for the Port-finish 101.  I'll admit my first thought was "poor man's sherried turkey", but Master's Keep Revival it is not.  I went with Turkey 101 for this blend since I thought it would compliment nicely, it's one of my everyday pours, and I had a fresh handle to work with. 

I tried a few ratios in the dram before going all in.  It was good anywhere near equal ratios and I ended up at 60:40 101:Bowman. 

It got better after a couple weeks, so now I'm holding out on the rest of it.  Might have to hide it from myself for a year or two. 

As I said, I do like the Isaac Bowman as is BUT only as an occasional sipper.  At the other end of the finished American whiskey scale as I recently posted, the Basil Hayden Dark Rye from a couple years ago is just too syrupy/grappa-y for me.  I do like some high-end finished bourbons like the JAM Cigar Blends and at least one WP offering, but I'd like to enjoy something similar more often without feeling guilty about swigging down the 750 price.  I WILL play around with this over the T'giving week (being retired, my T'giving Holiday runs from yesterday through MONDAY 2 December so I have a few days to play around).

More later.  Wife just called me to make happy hour for dinner.  A HIGHER PURPOSE JUST PRESENTED itSELF!!!

• I like it 2

We also share a similar approach to bunker management, Harry. 

I dig up the stinkers and one-buy wonders for summary execution at every opportunity. 

I hated the Alberta rye, so I'm sorry to hear you have to kill a BHR.  I had to use cola. 

Cheers, Mate!!

• I like it 1

Started a few vats today after perusing this thread:

1) Topped off the WTRB 112.8 bottle I had with WT 101.  About a 65 / 35 mix of the 112.8 and the 101.

2). About the same ratio (65 /35) of Charter 101 and Stagg Jr. 

3). Blended an Old Forester paper label 86 proof with an older (diamond label) OF SIG.

Will keep you posted on how these guys work out. Gonna let em MINGLE for a while....

• I like it 1

Our family had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner yesterday thanks to my niece and her husband, Galvin0791. Mike also shared a couple of nice pours with me. Everything was fair game, but..... I was really interested in his vatting of Grandpa Weller Four Grain. That was first up. Next was Lot B. The Lot B was, well, Lot B. Good stuff. It has to be, right? ?  Now, going back to the GWFG. It was a very, very pleasant surprise.

“A long time ago, in a faraway liquor store......” I bought my first and only OGD114.  Decent, but a bit too hot for my liking. (At least at that time.) After last night, it looks like I’m gonna have to buy another bottle to make some GWFG. Y’all know I don’t have to worry about the Weller SR^_^  Thanks again Mike. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I've got several vats going on, clockwise from bottom left (or follow the familiar bottle):

1) ETL bottle = "Basil Mark" = 50/50 Basil Hayden & MMCS (found a good use for BH!) = 95.35pf (fancy GW4G?)

2) Lone Elm bottle = "Makers Breed" = 50/50 MMCS & WTRB = 113.75pf (fancier GW4G?)

3) FR bottle (hard to see) = "FR Centennial" = 10yr OBSK + 10yr OESK to 100 pf

4) BT bottle = "WT91" = ten 50mL WT101s + one water-filled 50mL to create 91pf WT (found pricing anomaly on a 10pack of WT101s for $9)

5) T decanter = "Six Shooter" = 1/6 each of BT, MM, EC, FRSmB, 1792SmB, & HW American Prarie = 91.6pf

6) Blanton's bottle = "Acting Cordial" - I stole this from the Hacking Whiskey book, it's MM with dried cherries, dates, plums, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean in a mason jar since summertime, just filtered it this morning,.

IMG_20191130_1045438.jpg

• I like it 3

My Weller Blend bottle has been replenished. I now have a Grandpa Weller Four Grain 1.75 approximately 3/4 full. My "retirement project" has four more empties. Not a bad day.  :D

Biba! Joe

PS. Just in case any of y'all were wondering, the remnants in the bottom of the empties was properly taken care of. :P

well.jpeg

GWFG.jpeg

full.jpeg

empty.jpeg

• I like it 5

Threw together a blend to mimic Wild Turkey Master's Keep Revival:

Ingredients:
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (116.8 Proof) - 612ml ($38.99)
Knob Creek SiB 15-Year Store Pick - 35ml ($49.99)
Sandeman Dry Fino Sherry Wine - 35ml ($16.99)
Filtered Water - 69ml ($0.00)

Total Cost of All Bottles (Full): $105.99

Cost of Single Batch - $34.88

MSRP of Original Product: $159.99

Accuracy: 99%

Notes: During a blind triangle test, neither my wife nor I could find the odd pour out of the bunch. The nose and palate are spot-on and I couldn't be happier with how this blend turned out. After making the mix, I did let the mixture marry for 1.5 months, not for practical reasons for the taste, but rather due to life being distracting.

We tried to make a blend that was purely sherry and rare breed, but it was missing the deep oak that was imparted with the older age statements in the actual Master's Keep. Considering how available some of the extremely old Knob Creek store picks are currently, the 15-year that we had on the shelf seemed like a perfect addition. I can't wait for our next pick (almost 16-year) to get bottled and delivered. I feel that for the amount being added, any reasonable priced 15+ year bottle you happen to find should work (e.g. Elijah Craig 18 Year, IW Harper 15, etc).

What I find really surprising is how the bulk cost of all bottles involved in making the blend still has a lower cost than the MSRP of Master's Keep Revival. After making this Poor Man's blend, you will still have a nearly full bottle of Sherry and older Bourbon to enjoy.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

What I find really surprising is how the bulk cost of all bottles involved in making the blend still has a lower cost than the MSRP of Master's Keep Revival. After making this Poor Man's blend, you will still have a nearly full bottle of Sherry and older Bourbon to enjoy.

...or to add to another blend!  Thanks for this great blend idea.  Like it a lot...

• I like it 1

I have been finishing up a bottle of Timorous Beastie that is good but not particularly interesting.  A good tuition whiskey I'm not compelled to replace. 

It is a really solid blend of single malts, though, so I suspected it might serve well as a scotch blending base.  

It takes anywhere from a smidgen to a dollop of peated whiskey beautifully; I tried with young Caol Ila, Lavagulin, and Laphroaig. 

The last dram became a double with 2 parts TB to 1 part Benriach Peated Port and 1 part Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask.  

Hum-ah-nah-Hum-ah-nah!!  

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2019 at 7:11 PM, Guss West said:

After waiting a few months, I pulled this out for a taste and it is AWFUL!!! 

That young "green" BT distillate note, and some other flaws of the Bowman have pervaded and ruined good turkey.  I'm actually quite surprised, but have the intention of drowning it in cola now.  

Not a fan of the port-finished Bowman.  

• 2 months later...

After a fair amount of research, I've come up with a blend that has a lot of potential to recreate (85-90% accurate) High West Yippee Ki-Yay. I am letting the vatting marry for a few weeks to a month before comparing again to confirm. The blend is as follows:

• 600ml - High West Double Rye
  • 21ml - Qupe Syrah
  • 23ml - Vya Sweet Vermouth

The overall cost of full bottles of each of these products was ~$55.97. The Syrah and Vermouth each have enough to produce 15+ bottles. Considering the current MSRP of Yippee Ki-Yay at $79.99 and stores having it for upwards of $100, this is an incredibly useful blend for the future.

20200422_215031.jpg

Booker's 30th was a blend of 1/3 16 yr and 2/3 9 yr barrels.  I was never able to acquire a bottle so to get close I made a blend of 1/3 14yr Knob Creek store pick and 2/3 Booker's Kitchen Table batch (6 yr, 8 mo.).  As Larry David would say, pretty, pretty, pretty good...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.