The Vatting Thread 2018 and beyond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Just out of curiosity, how are you storing these? My understanding was that, A major component of wood aging is variations in temperature so that the whisky moves in and out of the wood. I wonder how much this also matters for those small barrel experiments I see others do.

They are stored with the rest of our collection to marry. The stave addition to the vessel during the marrying process is less to "age" the whiskey further and more to infuse a small amount of the french oak flavor into the blend while it marries.

That being said, we do have multiple (25+) "barrels" in our garage to have the full exposure of the heat changes of Florida weather. Those are getting a traditional aging process as described.

Funny enough, the lion share of the bourbon blend was portioned out tonight into bottles and finished with some other spirits to give different expressions all from the same base blend. I did a couple bottles each of 23 Year Armagnac, 20 Year Calvados, 14 Year Rum, and Vermouth & Syrah (Yippee Ki-yay nod). These bottles are going to get waxed and labelled within the next couple days and will rest for an additional 2-4 weeks before being sampled.

In the meantime, I am still adding to the Rye blend and have started in on Bourbon Blend Batch #3.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

They are stored with the rest of our collection to marry. The stave addition to the vessel during the marrying process is less to "age" the whiskey further and more to infuse a small amount of the french oak flavor into the blend while it marries.

That being said, we do have multiple (25+) "barrels" in our garage to have the full exposure of the heat changes of Florida weather. Those are getting a traditional aging process as described.

Funny enough, the lion share of the bourbon blend was portioned out tonight into bottles and finished with some other spirits to give different expressions all from the same base blend. I did a couple bottles each of 23 Year Armagnac, 20 Year Calvados, 14 Year Rum, and Vermouth & Syrah (Yippee Ki-yay nod). These bottles are going to get waxed and labelled within the next couple days and will rest for an additional 2-4 weeks before being sampled.

In the meantime, I am still adding to the Rye blend and have started in on Bourbon Blend Batch #3.

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Bottles have been waxed, sealed, and labelled. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out!

20201005_190611.jpg

20201004_185130.jpg

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Bottles have been waxed, sealed, and labelled. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out!

20201005_190611.jpg

20201004_185130.jpg

That is awesome and I love the label.

• 1 month later...

I’m back at it. ?  

I had a small pour of JW Dant the other night. My second small pour was JTS Brown.  My last pour was an impromptu, unmeasured mix of the two. I decided to have some of this blend  when I got home from work today. As I reached for the bottles, I just said screw it. I went downstairs and grabbed an empty EW handle, and rinsed it out real good. The remnants of my Dant and Brown went in. I’m having a nice pour of it now, and it’s pretty darned good. It’s not as good as my Weller Blend, but then again, nothing is. ?

FWIW, the MM Blend is one I did a few weeks ago. MM CS, and MM 46. It’s pretty good too. The reason it’s in the picture, is because I finally decided to make a label for it.  :huh:

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.ac19f7443458b2e5d70f8c37b267a668.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

Had a pour of ETL today from a bunkered ‘16 bottle that I opened around two months ago. Followed it up with the grandpa weller recipe I’ve seen here (60% WSR 40% OGD 114 vatted for around a month). Grandpa weller put it to shame without question I’m my mind. ETL was one of my favorite pours years ago when I got into bourbon but now most of the 90 proof stuff just doesn’t do it for me anymore. Will try a small batch of 50/50 wsr/ogd114 grandpa weller next. 

Edited by M777

On 11/18/2020 at 6:02 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m back at it. ?  

I had a small pour of JW Dant the other night. My second small pour was JTS Brown.  My last pour was an impromptu, unmeasured mix of the two. I decided to have some of this blend  when I got home from work today. As I reached for the bottles, I just said screw it. I went downstairs and grabbed an empty EW handle, and rinsed it out real good. The remnants of my Dant and Brown went in. I’m having a nice pour of it now, and it’s pretty darned good. It’s not as good as my Weller Blend, but then again, nothing is. ?

FWIW, the MM Blend is one I did a few weeks ago. MM CS, and MM 46. It’s pretty good too. The reason it’s in the picture, is because I finally decided to make a label for it.  :huh:

Biba! Joe

No "False Modesty" there.  I totally agree - but there may be a new challenger just over the horizon after the New Year (bump in proof, some NCF stuff added, and maybe a tweek or 2 subtracted).  Stay tuned.  Did I ever tell you that  my Mom & Dad got me my first chemistry set in 1953 and my trusty K&E log-log slide rule in 1958????   ?‍?

• I like it 1

On 11/18/2020 at 6:02 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m back at it. ?  

Biba! Joe

I once did a blend of equal parts JTS Brown, JW Dant, EW BiB, and TW Samuels. It is surprisingly good. 

I haven't though of doing a M46 & MMCS before, but its like a Makers 46 101 style blend. If its anywhere close to 46 cask strength, you are in good shape. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Did I ever tell you that  my Mom & Dad got me my first chemistry set in 1953 and my trusty K&E log-log slide rule in 1958????   ?‍?

You musta been the inspiration for these guys....... ?

E2A69440-F6D9-4AE5-968A-1A9BCD68115A.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

To quote a Britney Spears song title, “Oops, I Did It Again”. 😉 

I had opened 750’s of a semi-old label ps OWA, an embossed wheat Weller 12, and a current Weller SR. All good, but after having combined a splash of each a couple of times, I said what the heck, and decided  to vat ‘em. Pretty much equal amounts of each, so around 95.67 proof. 😋

Joe’s Weller Blend 2021. What can I say? 😁

Bib! Joe

On 12/25/2020 at 7:13 PM, parksmart said:

You musta been the inspiration for these guys....... ?

E2A69440-F6D9-4AE5-968A-1A9BCD68115A.jpeg

OMG - the guy with the pocket protector and the slide rule (probably a K&E 4061t with the clamshell cursor) on his belt was me in 6th grade!  But I couldn't hike my pants up that high since my Mom always shortened my slacks and jeans before I got to wear them. And I didn't need glasses until I was 30!   🤣

While it hasn't arrived yet,I recently purchased a 5 gallon/19 Liter Apple Brandy barrel. After coordinating with the local whiskey group, I have a few people who are all proving bottles that will get blended together and will marry/finish in the barrel for 6-9 months. I plan to then do commemorative bottling for the project when everything is done. It is, by far, the largest blend I've done to date.

The restrictions are either 7 or more years old with an age statement or 106 or greater proof to qualify for the blend. Only bourbon or rye will be permitted. 

I will personally be adding Blantons SFTB,  Stagg Jr, Kentucky Owl Rye, and an 11 Year Russells CNA store pick at the very least.

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

While it hasn't arrived yet,I recently purchased a 5 gallon/19 Liter Apple Brandy barrel. After coordinating with the local whiskey group, I have a few people who are all proving bottles that will get blended together and will marry/finish in the barrel for 6-9 months. I plan to then do commemorative bottling for the project when everything is done. It is, by far, the largest blend I've done to date.

The restrictions are either 7 or more years old with an age statement or 106 or greater proof to qualify for the blend. Only bourbon or rye will be permitted. 

I will personally be adding Blantons SFTB,  Stagg Jr, Kentucky Owl Rye, and an 11 Year Russells CNA store pick at the very least.

Please keep us posted on the progress of this. Very cool and interesting. 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Please keep us posted on the progress of this. Very cool and interesting. 👍

Biba! Joe

Will do! I may make a dedicated thread when it comes in

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, clearmoon247 said:

20201005_190611.jpg

20201004_185130.jpg

How / what did you use for the pull tabs?  Where did you acquire the seal?  I’m darn interested in doing something similar!

Guess what time it is boys and girls? 😜

Biba! Joe

IMG_0741.jpg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Guess what time it is boys and girls? 😜

Biba! Joe

IMG_0741.jpg

I feel like before the fact, there should be a fly by or something. I don't care if it's Cessna's, it just should be!!! 🛩️

• I like it 2

On 3/29/2021 at 2:30 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I feel much better now. :D

Biba! Joe

IMG_0754.JPG

How many 1.75 W12s do you still have bunkered away at this point? I feel like those were discontinued a bit ago

1 hour ago, clearmoon247 said:

How many 1.75 W12s do you still have bunkered away at this point? I feel like those were discontinued a bit ago

I only have one more Weller 12 1.75 left in the bunker. It’s an old bottle/label version.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

Sorta feels like the entire Weller line has been discontinued at times

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.