First bottle of Armagnac

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm looking to Branch out from Bourbon and Rum. What would be a good bottle around $100 that would be attainable? I love in Minnesota close to Minneapolis so have a good selection of LS's.

• I like it 1

I live in South Minneapolis.

If your near a Total Wine , they have a great selection of Armangac.

I have had the Chateau de Laubade 1982 and it was delicious for 129.00.

Give it a go . I believe it was 32 years old .

Nancy had a great post about this a while back, I've been trying to search through Winesearcher and TW but the results aren't that great for MN, I will say that in addition to the producers/bottlers that she listed, L'Encantada is well regarded and all the rage these days. From my rather limited experience what I have had from them seems almost tuned for Bourbon drinkers. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my French spirits but again my experience is limited and the enthusiasm for their bottles is very high.  One other point I will add is that even for those of us that shop in the larger markets for such things (ie: NY and CA) most who get into Armagnac rely heavily on online resources, either stores that ship or other means.  If I were going to buy outside of the producers that Nancy mentioned I would buy on value, so a decent vintage at a good price would be my suggestion. As with anything you don't have to start with a high end vintage bottle, there is always the chance you won't be a big fan of it, I would personally buy something under $100 as my first bottle but you know your finances better than I do and availability where you live may hinder that more than it did for me, I liked DeLord 25 year as much as the Laubade vintages at 80 proof I've had and it's pretty available for a decent price.  

• I like it 3

I second the Delord 25 mostly for practical purposes. Unlike everything else, it seems to be everywhere. And it's really really good.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 Delord 25 is a great introduction to the style.

Though if you can find a single vintage bottle from Darroze or Dartilounge for $100 or less I wouldn't hesitate to grab it. I'm not sure how common those are in MN or what they run for, but I've seen Dartilounge in IL (Binny's) on a number of occasions in the $100-120 range. Here in IA we don't get much in the way of Armagnac so I tend to order online.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, kevinbrink said:

Nancy had a great post about this a while back, I've been trying to search through Winesearcher and TW but the results aren't that great for MN, I will say that in addition to the producers/bottlers that she listed, L'Encantada is well regarded and all the rage these days. From my rather limited experience what I have had from them seems almost tuned for Bourbon drinkers. Not exactly what I'm looking for in my French spirits but again my experience is limited and the enthusiasm for their bottles is very high.  One other point I will add is that even for those of us that shop in the larger markets for such things (ie: NY and CA) most who get into Armagnac rely heavily on online resources, either stores that ship or other means.  If I were going to buy outside of the producers that Nancy mentioned I would buy on value, so a decent vintage at a good price would be my suggestion. As with anything you don't have to start with a high end vintage bottle, there is always the chance you won't be a big fan of it, I would personally buy something under $100 as my first bottle but you know your finances better than I do and availability where you live may hinder that more than it did for me, I liked DeLord 25 year as much as the Laubade vintages at 80 proof I've had and it's pretty available for a decent price.  

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, I just saw this post. @kevinbrink, I loved your response to this question. I agree with you 200% about buying something under $100 if you're new to the world of Armagnac. In fact, I agree with ALL of what you say above! LOL.

When I'm buying French spirits, I'm not necessarily looking for a repeat of Bourbon. Bourbon producers have that covered well enough! Although I think L'Encantada is just fine quality-wise, I agree that it is a bit too "bourbonesque," at least for my taste. But then again, that might serve well as a "gateway drug" for those that are Armagnac curious! ?

And to @Bbstout, I think that @Kane, @EarthQuake, and @kevinbrink all make a great point that Delord 25 is a very affordable and delicious way explore Armagnac. Also, Darroze 20 year Les Grands Assemblages sits right at $100. That, too, is a great way to turn to the "dark side." 

Please let us know what you decide to buy, and also what you think of it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing my research and this thread is confirming that I should go ahead and buy the full Darroze lineup available at my LLS.  

I did pass on the $2000 1941 vintage armagnac I found on consignment.  That must be some story.  

• I like it 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, Guss West said:

I'm doing my research and this thread is confirming that I should go ahead and buy the full Darroze lineup available at my LLS.  

I did pass on the $2000 1941 vintage armagnac I found on consignment.  That must be some story.  

As a somewhat off topic side note the owner of Darroze has been releasing some interesting (if often pricey) rums (and other things besides Armagnac) under the Bapt & Clem's label (not sure if there is an english version). He goes to a variety of distilleries and picks the barrels he wants to bottle under this label. I have had the Foursquare and younger Guadeloupe rum and they are very good.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

Hey all, noticed you talking about Francis Darroze Armagnacs and hoping you can help me out. My wife's dad had a couple of bottles in his cellar that I am having trouble finding information on.

Looks like both were bottled in 1983, but there is one that shows "distilled 1928" and one that shows "distilled 1932". Any help is much appreciated!

Andrew

Armagnac1.jpg

Armagnac3.jpg

Armagnac5.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn.20

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.