OWA cork

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was just stuck in traffic  trying to get to a Weller Full Proof barrel.. whole barrel gone In 20 minutes. On my way back I was wondering ..Are the screw tops gone for good on OWA or was the gold foil cork just temporary? If permanent will W12 and WSR be making the transition soon?

The bottle I bought last month had the cork and gold foil. Personally, I hope they all make the transition.

Dont really have a preference. The screw tops were always good for traveling and not having to worry about spillage. Noticed the cork makes the bottle about an inch taller. 

Have yall seen the device that pierces the cork on a wine bottle? Its hollow and you pour your wine through it without ever breaking the seal on the bottle. Probably not as advantageous for bourbon but still a pretty cool invention.

• I like it 2

On 12/10/2019 at 9:43 PM, FasterHorses said:

Dont really have a preference. The screw tops were always good for traveling and not having to worry about spillage. Noticed the cork makes the bottle about an inch taller. 

Have yall seen the device that pierces the cork on a wine bottle? Its hollow and you pour your wine through it without ever breaking the seal on the bottle. Probably not as advantageous for bourbon but still a pretty cool invention.

Wine usually doesn’t have the hard plastic or wood on top of the cork.

But I’ll confess I have thought about what you mentioned in the past.

• I like it 1

Personally, I always like the screw tops.  I remember my first WL12 and thinking this stuff must be pretty cheap since it has a screw top.  I quickly realized my perception was incorrect.

• I like it 1

On 12/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, 0895 said:

Wine usually doesn’t have the hard plastic or wood on top of the cork.

But I’ll confess I have thought about what you mentioned in the past.

Hmmm - I don't think the needle on a Coravin is strong enough to repeatedly pierce the hard plastic cover over the cork.  And those little puppies are expensive to replace ($26.23 ea. or $48.97 for a 3-pk)!   Nice idea, tho'.   ? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind a screw top, but I prefer the older plastic ones to the meal ones currently on W12 and WSR.  The metal ones seem to bend to easy and don't always fully tighten the way they should.

2 hours ago, NDN98 said:

I don't mind a screw top, but I prefer the older plastic ones to the meal ones currently on W12 and WSR.  The metal ones seem to bend to easy and don't always fully tighten the way they should.

...And, ya' can cut yerself on the raw edges of the damned things!

• I like it 2

Meh, I know the plastic tops have their devotees, but I had a few of them crack on me, which was not great.

Let's just say that closures aren't the best part of an OWA bottle. My vote goes to the contents every time.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Meh, I know the plastic tops have their devotees, but I had a few of them crack on me, which was not great.

Let's just say that closures aren't the best part of an OWA bottle. My vote goes to the contents every time.

While I have had a plastic screw cap crack, I'm guessing if I kept score they're beating the living sh!t out of corks at my house.  And way easier to find a replacement in a pinch (vs keeping a stash of a variety of corks on hand for such purposes).  

But agree 110% with the last sentiment ;)  Although at current prices/availability, this is all an academic exercise for me :lol: 

Every time we get in a discussion on closures, and people begin lamenting on how this or that style of closure breaks, bends, snaps, strips, splits...I wonder what in the F^?! are y’all going to these things?  Calm down Conan!  :D

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Every time we get in a discussion on closures, and people begin lamenting on how this or that style of closure breaks, bends, snaps, strips, splits...I wonder what in the F^?! are y’all going to these things?  Calm down Conan!  :D

I’m gonna venture a guess here and say that cap problems probably aren’t occurring very often on first pours. :unsure:  “Know what I mean Vern?”  :P

Biba! Joe

41 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

LOL! I had one OWA plastic cap crack on me a number of years ago. After that I learned not to tighten them with the Conan grip. It's been all smiles since then.

4 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

When we sailors batten down the hatches, we batten down the hatches.

Less spinach for you, then!!  ?

078DE516-15FD-4E8E-9250-78774A69D415.jpeg

This has been my facebook profile pic for a few years now.

1902000265_Popeyefacebook.gif.573a959631a81f33b7847a78dc2f69d5.gif

Edited by The Black Tot

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

When we sailors batten down the hatches, we batten down the hatches.

My Dad was stationed on the U.S.S. Enterprise back in the late 60's and told me once about opening the door from the tower to the fight deck during a storm (to take a shortcut from his station to his quarters) only to watch as a wave crested over the bow of the flight deck. Needless to say he closed that door quick and took the long route. 

This sounds like what you are saying.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.