Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

Recommended Posts

JCwhammie
13 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @mal00768, what batch do you have?

 

Sorry to sound dense, but what do you mean by evaporating quickly? 🤔

I think he means it's so good that he can't stop drinking it! 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
marshall9779

Definitely enjoying this one still the second go around.
IMG_4118.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

Enjoying a sample of the Maker’s 101p

export bottle.

20902D91-2A56-47CE-BCD4-B8818580EB61.jpeg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
On 1/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, DEH1212 said:

Is this better than the current small batch?  My understanding was it was just the bottle changed from being too similar to Woodford Reserve?

To the best of my knowledge the current small batch and the NAS Ridgemont is the same liquid.  But the classic Ridgemont was 8 years old and better.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses

Jos Magnus Private Selection. This is a  nearly 14 yr mgp barrel proof at 105 proof. Its really good, thick, caramel and oak.  Weirdest thing is.. it tastes strikingly  similar to Old Ezra 7 101.  Anyone had the same experience? 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

Baker's

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen
11 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Sorry to sound dense, but what do you mean by evaporating quickly? 🤔

 

I think he means he's drinking it way too fast!  At least that's MY guess and I'm stickin' to it.   😋

 

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mal00768
12 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @mal00768, what batch do you have?

 

Sorry to sound dense, but what do you mean by evaporating quickly? 🤔

Batch 13 I think. 
 

Evaporating as in disappearing quicker than expected. :P Perhaps my wife is taking sips behind my back.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
8 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Perhaps my wife is taking sips behind my back.

I'd laugh, but I actually lost a PHC wheat to that phenomenon before I could realize.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEH1212

Taste like melted dark chocolate.

20200129_182804.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses

JM SB. MGP is killin it. I have this happen all the time. Underwhelmed with the first pour and then the following night its off the charts. Tonite is off the charts.

 

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dboland

F6 last night. Every bit of that cocoa and clovey cola that is common in RRSiB but the oiliness and mouthfeel are just ideal on this one. The fatalist in me is already mourning that this bottle will be empty one day.

 

 

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200129182743096_COVER.jpg

Edited by dboland
Formatting
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
6 minutes ago, dboland said:

F6 last night. Every bit of that cocoa and clovey cola that is common in RRSiB but the oiliness and mouthfeel are just ideal on this one. The fatalist in me is already mourning that this bottle will be empty one day.

First let me apologize for the modification of your post, dboland.   

Can you enlighten poor uninformed me about the brand of cola you mention above?   Never heard of it; but, I realize there are regional brands that are very well-known where they're sold, while almost entirely unknown to rest of us.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dboland
6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

First let me apologize for the modification of your post, dboland.   

Can you enlighten poor uninformed me about the brand of cola you mention above?   Never heard of it; but, I realize there are regional brands that are very well-known where they're sold, while almost entirely unknown to rest of us.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant cola as a general taste and clovey like the clove spice. Whereas some bourbons described as tasting like cola are often cherry cola or have more dark fruit flavor, this to me is less fruit and more baking spice. 

 

I suppose the closest soda brand that matches the profile would be Hansen's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CUfan99
On 1/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, FasterHorses said:

Jos Magnus Private Selection. This is a  nearly 14 yr mgp barrel proof at 105 proof. Its really good, thick, caramel and oak.  Weirdest thing is.. it tastes strikingly  similar to Old Ezra 7 101.  Anyone had the same experience? 

 

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

JM SB. MGP is killin it. I have this happen all the time. Underwhelmed with the first pour and then the following night its off the charts. Tonite is off the charts.

 

Not good. Your 1st post moved me off my pining for a $100 13 yr JM since I’ve got multiple $17 OE 101s. Now I’m back in the pine trees. :lol:

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

 

Not good. Your 1st post moved me off my pining for a $100 13 yr JM since I’ve got multiple $17 OE 101s. Now I’m back in the pine trees. :lol:

I dont want to steer ya wrong but the first night i was regretting my purchase, the second night i was trying to make sure i can get another.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
5 hours ago, dboland said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant cola as a general taste and clovey like the clove spice. Whereas some bourbons described as tasting like cola are often cherry cola or have more dark fruit flavor, this to me is less fruit and more baking spice. 

 

I suppose the closest soda brand that matches the profile would be Hansen's.

DUH!   I should have guessed that (obvious) reference to cloves!   😲     What a moron!       I will fall back upon my traditional excuse... I'm old and getting soft in the head!  😆

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dboland
1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

DUH!   I should have guessed that (obvious) reference to cloves!   😲     What a moron!       I will fall back upon my traditional excuse... I'm old and getting soft in the head!  😆

LOL, nah, and after re-reading what I wrote I realized that it's not inconceivable that Clovey Cola is out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 1/29/2020 at 5:00 AM, mal00768 said:

Batch 13 I think. 
 

Evaporating as in disappearing quicker than expected. :P Perhaps my wife is taking sips behind my back.

Ah, @mal00768got it! Sorry, yesterday my brain automatically went to wondering whether it had more volatiles than usual, or to some other technical problem. 

 

Sorry to hear about that high evaporation rate! 😜 Glad it was enjoyed though. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

The Maker’s Cask Strength holds its own against ECBP, Stagg Jr., and other more talked about barrel proofers, for my tastes.  The by-design mild finish of regular Maker’s, which may be the biggest complaint of that whiskey by many, is certainly amped up nicely at the higher proof.   Fully flavored and with a bit more juiciness from this CS, too.  A fine and welcome mind salve at the end of a hyperkinetic but fruitful day.  :)

 

FA06A027-48F0-4D73-969E-7B21C95346F2.jpeg

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
20 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

JM SB. MGP is killin it. I have this happen all the time. Underwhelmed with the first pour and then the following night its off the charts. Tonite is off the charts.

 

@FasterHorses, I don't know why it is, but with almost every brand of bourbon that uses MPG, not just JM, the first pour is usually underwhelming. For whatever reason, the bottle needs a little oxygen contact before it really comes alive. Glad you're enjoying that bottle! 

 

Meanwhile, after working with malt whisky all day, I'm starting cocktail hour with blood orange and my birthday bottle of Elijah Craig barrel strength batch C918, as well as a side of it neat. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm just now discovering how delicious EC is, but I can't seem to get enough of it now, and I'm really putting a hurtin' on this bottle! 

 

Cheers, 
Nancy

 

 

IMG_3558 (1).jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Ah, @mal00768got it! Sorry, yesterday my brain automatically went to wondering whether it had more volatiles than usual, or to some other technical problem. 

 

Sorry to hear about that high evaporation rate! 😜 Glad it was enjoyed though. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

FYI, a number of us on the sight struggle with CRS disease. There’s a slight possibility that your difficulties might be associated with that. 🤔 I’d expound on this a bit more, but I forgot what CRS stands for.  😃

 

Biba! Joe

 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen
2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FYI, a number of us on the sight struggle with CRS disease. There’s a slight possibility that your difficulties might be associated with that. 🤔 I’d expound on this a bit more, but I forgot what CRS stands for.  😃

 

Biba! Joe

 

 

CRS = Can't remember stupid?  🤣

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@FasterHorses, I don't know why it is, but with almost every brand of bourbon that uses MPG, not just JM, the first pour is usually underwhelming. For whatever reason, the bottle needs a little oxygen contact before it really comes alive. Glad you're enjoying that bottle! 

 

Meanwhile, after working with malt whisky all day, I'm starting cocktail hour with blood orange and my birthday bottle of Elijah Craig barrel strength batch C918, as well as a side of it neat. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm just now discovering how delicious EC is, but I can't seem to get enough of it now, and I'm really putting a hurtin' on this bottle! 

 

Cheers, 
Nancy

 

 

IMG_3558 (1).jpg

Looks fantastic Nancy. 

Also about the MGP.. i think i relayed the exact experience with my Chattanooga SB.  Weird but im glad it ends well. 
 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@FasterHorses, I don't know why it is, but with almost every brand of bourbon that uses MPG, not just JM, the first pour is usually underwhelming. For whatever reason, the bottle needs a little oxygen contact before it really comes alive. Glad you're enjoying that bottle! 

 

Meanwhile, after working with malt whisky all day, I'm starting cocktail hour with blood orange and my birthday bottle of Elijah Craig barrel strength batch C918, as well as a side of it neat. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm just now discovering how delicious EC is, but I can't seem to get enough of it now, and I'm really putting a hurtin' on this bottle! 

 

Cheers, 
Nancy

 

 

IMG_3558 (1).jpg

So jealous of your sitting outside weather for this time of year. I have ECBP's going all the way back to the second release so we'll add that to the list of what you get to try when you are in Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.