What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Woo Hoo!  Costco FTW. I picked up 4
6CCC2EC7-E913-48BC-8F7F-F57ED674CC13.thumb.jpeg.3d64862ad6188d2a31e9d1ac66b153f9.jpeg
Did they not enforce their sign that says 1 per customer?

Great price, you must be in California...

28 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Did they not enforce their sign that says 1 per customer?

Great price, you must be in California...

The limit was 2 per member. My wife got 2, and I got 2. I am in the Phoenix area. 

• I like it 1

Hit up Buffalo Trace with family for a tour and tasting, they had Blantons at gift shop 65$.  Also stopped at WR for a tasting then lunch at Bottle in Bond.  Barton Gift shop was a miss, only small batch but HH had C919 BP.  Passed on McKenna as it was 55$ at gift shop, when I asked why they stated the CFO said price it higher so they are not undercutting the Liquor Stores and loosing their business... Such BS but w/e.

20191227_164738.jpg

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, DEH1212 said:

Hit up Buffalo Trace with family for a tour and tasting, they had Blantons at gift shop 65$.  Also stopped at WR for a tasting then lunch at Bottle in Bond.  Barton Gift shop was a miss, only small batch but HH had C919 BP.  Passed on McKenna as it was 55$ at gift shop, when I asked why they stated the CFO said price it higher so they are not undercutting the Liquor Stores and loosing their business... Such BS but w/e.

I was at HH and Willett today. By the afternoon, the only thing HH had was WHH12 ($250..no thanks) and ECBP ($75 and I passed as well).  Doing BT and WR tours tomorrow and a stop by SW/Bulleit. I had a few pours at Westport Whiskey and Wine. The 19 4RSmBLE went into my top 10 of all time bottles. It is crazy good.  Had to get a BB pour since tomorrow is my birthday.  Stopped at TW for a few bottles. 

20191227_175620-784x1613.jpg

20191227_182239-784x1613.jpg

20191227_191522-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 4

Bought a weller 12, was a bit over priced but have not had the opportunity to purchase in a while so figured I should pick it up before I run out.

• I like it 1

BT Binnys small batch #26 to add to 24&25 that I have open/bunkered 

also an Old Bardstown that I kinda got by accident. They had the price tag only (no bottle) in the glass case and I misstook it for the OB Estate version which is about $20 more.  Guy comes back with 2 bottles from the back, one for me and one for glass case. Kinda felt obliged at that point so what the heck I figured.  I was a little upset because I’ve passed on this before and would have rather got another BT instead. 

Opened it when I got home and got instant cinnamon/red hots on the nose. Not bad at all, will add to my shelf of screwtops which are starting to fill my middle shelf....I wouldn’t buy a backup bottle, but I’ll replace it when it’s gone

1C528081-0977-4E1F-A2EF-8615CB846605.jpeg

Edited by TehRegion219
Story time

12 hours ago, Cornfed12 said:

Bought a weller 12, was a bit over priced but have not had the opportunity to purchase in a while so figured I should pick it up before I run out.

Good for you. I'm not even sure what regular price should be anymore. I found a bottle about a month ago in a smaller LS chain in the Western Suburbs for $70, seemed fair considering it's lack of availability.

13 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Passed on McKenna as it was 55$ at gift shop, when I asked why they stated the CFO said price it higher so they are not undercutting the Liquor Stores and loosing their business... Such BS but w/e.

Actually, this isn't BS. Most all of the distilleries do this to varying degrees. I've got a pretty good idea that one place tries to price their gift shop offerings just a few dollars over msrp. I've also pretty sure that at least one other place marks their products up a certain percentage over msrp. What that percentage is, is anyones guess. I was on a tour there one time and asked why their bottles were so expensive at the gift shop. I got the same answer as you. They didn't want to compete with, or upset area liquor stores. When I asked how much they marked them up, I was told it was a certain percentage. I then asked what that percentage was. I got the deer in the headlights look, followed by a very nervous, non committal answer. :huh: It was actually kinda funny. Pelliott was with me. We left the gift shop right after talking to the guy. As soon as we got outside, we looked at each other and started laughing.  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I then asked what that percentage was. I got the deer in the headlights look, followed by a very nervous, non committal answer. :huh: It was actually kinda funny. Pelliott was with me. We left the gift shop right after talking to the guy. As soon as we got outside, we looked at each other and started laughing.  :P

Biba! Joe

They simply didn’t know.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, skidfive said:

Due to work i finally had a day off (Christmas day) .    Was able to pick up a THH at $199 and a Blantons at $58.  Recent whiskey club winnings.  

Went to a second store where i have made some connections.  He had a Whistlepig 18 rye at $280 for me.  About $100 under retail from what i understand.  Wasn't specifically on my hunt list but ill purchase items when available to keep the connection. 

He then came out from the back and offered a Van Winkle 13 Rye for $229 "or" a 12 year Lot B for $199.   That choice was easy for me.   Twas a good and merry christmas

Edit:  also grabbed a Crown royal nobel collection 13 year for the new years party

20191225_115832.jpg

Very nice group there!

18 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

They simply didn’t know.

Yeah, I know. It was above his pay grade. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Got called for a bottle of BTAC/Pappy, apparently having been drawn in my local's lottlery, though I didn't even know I was entered...HA!

Selected the Larue.   

OTD for $159.   Not the bargain I used to enjoy; but 'discounted' from the price others would've paid; a reward for helping with the barrel pix, and for being such a swell guy (I guess?).  ??

• I like it 6

Picked up a Baker's at a new Coast Guard exchange today for $37.  Never tried this because the usual price point is over $50 around here.  At this price I gave to at least give it a try.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

I was at HH and Willett today. By the afternoon, the only thing HH had was WHH12 ($250..no thanks) and ECBP ($75 and I passed as well).  Doing BT and WR tours tomorrow and a stop by SW/Bulleit. I had a few pours at Westport Whiskey and Wine. The 19 4RSmBLE went into my top 10 of all time bottles. It is crazy good.  Had to get a BB pour since tomorrow is my birthday.  Stopped at TW for a few bottles. 

20191227_175620-784x1613.jpg

20191227_182239-784x1613.jpg

20191227_191522-784x1613.jpg

I absolutely love Westport.  A little pricey but the selection is great and they always have stellar store picks.

Picked up a Wild Turkey Master’s Keep Cornerstone Rye 109 Proof at a local Costco for @fosmith.  They had some Joseph Magnus Indiana SBW for $75.99, but they were sold out.

2C070551-17BF-4B87-A7F6-07DB2FE6A021.thumb.jpeg.9626874778cbb0468740f735f36cabce.jpeg

• I like it 1

Cashed in a liquor store gift card for these two.  I have never had either one.  The KC is a store pick 9 year old 120 proof.   I have heard a lot about the OGD BIB, including that it is getting hard to find but I see it all over the place in my neck of the woods.  Looking forward to trying both before it’s officially back to work on 1/2/20.

5BA687D9-D09A-4B11-92E0-C70B07345912.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 12/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Curtis Reed said:

Woo Hoo!  Costco FTW. I picked up 4

6CCC2EC7-E913-48BC-8F7F-F57ED674CC13.jpeg

What a bargain.  Cheapest I've seen them at Costco here on the east coast is $54.99.  Nice get!

spacer.png

Grabbed a couple Magnus Single Barrel PS. 13y/o Indiana gold. Very sweet pour. Tasted more like Four Roses than my other MGPs.  

Strange that Magnus is not putting age statements on these. Any thoughts as to why? 

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Grabbed a couple Magnus Single Barrel PS. 13y/o Indiana gold. Very sweet pour. Tasted more like Four Roses than my other MGPs.  

Strange that Magnus is not putting age statements on these. Any thoughts as to why? 

How did you find out  it's 13 years?

I was under the impression that even the store pick Magnus bottles were blends of at least a couple barrels, not single barrels (similar to Woodford store picks).

Notice it doesn't really say "single barrel" (that I can see) on the label.

Perhaps that has changed?

You'll probably have to wait for some advice from @Whiskey Bender

It says from the private barrel then on the side it says it again. So i guess I assumed it is a SB. Spoke with the owner .. this is probably one of the most reputable shops in the area.. he told me 13.5 almost 14 year MGP.  It states that its MGP on the side label. Yes would love to hear from Whiskeyblender on this.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I likes me some Indiana gold at that age.

44 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I likes me some Indiana gold at that age.

I once read an analysis of MGP at different ages all the way up to around 20 years. Was one fascinating read. I wonder if “they’d” be willing to share that on these boards??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.