Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

Recommended Posts

flahute
3 hours ago, 0895 said:

 

How did you find out  it's 13 years?

 

I was under the impression that even the store pick Magnus bottles were blends of at least a couple barrels, not single barrels (similar to Woodford store picks).

Notice it doesn't really say "single barrel" (that I can see) on the label.

Perhaps that has changed?

You'll probably have to wait for some advice from @Whiskey Bender

 

Store picks are single barrels though they may be finished in a sherry or armagnac cask.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
9 minutes ago, flahute said:

Store picks are single barrels though they may be finished in a sherry or armangac cask.

Great to know! So almost 14 year MGP SB for $99. Not a terrible deal in this market .. may go get a couple more. Any idea why they dont put age statement on these?
Also... I’m assuming the label would indicate if its finished? This one has no mention of a finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
15 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Great to know! So almost 14 year MGP SB for $99. Not a terrible deal in this market .. may go get a couple more. Any idea why they dont put age statement on these?
Also... I’m assuming the label would indicate if its finished? This one has no mention of a finish. 

I currently don't have on hand a bottle of the pick we did last year so I can't check what our label said versus what I know is in it.

I believe they have only have one label they use to keep it simple with the TTB but there are many permutations for what could be in it such as TN vs. MGP whiskey, along with PX, Oloroso, or armagnac finish, or no finish at all. Ages of barrels vary so unless that information gets hand written on the bottle, the label is fairly generic. The store that picked it should know the details unless it's a big box store like Total Wine that doesn't keep track of details like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
36 minutes ago, flahute said:

I currently don't have on hand a bottle of the pick we did last year so I can't check what our label said versus what I know is in it.

I believe they have only have one label they use to keep it simple with the TTB but there are many permutations for what could be in it such as TN vs. MGP whiskey, along with PX, Oloroso, or armagnac finish, or no finish at all. Ages of barrels vary so unless that information gets hand written on the bottle, the label is fairly generic. The store that picked it should know the details unless it's a big box store like Total Wine that doesn't keep track of details like that.

Thanks flahute. Its nice tasting bourbon for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

The full haul....went a little crazy on the KY trip. Some disclosures: Some (5) of the bottles aren't for me. The Stagg Jr.  was a STL lottery "win". The EW Black was a Christmas present. The Reidel glasses were a bday present. The Blanton's went with us as our drinker. The FP came from Santa Claus, Indiana. Everything else was from KY.  The Blanton's stoppers were given to me by Freddie Johnson himself inside the Blanton's bottling house!  Some of the Blanton's that went with us was in a flask in my back pocket. I had the thought while in the bottling house that it was back where it started.

20191229_215818-1612x784.jpg

20191229_220751-784x1613.jpg

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The full haul....went a little crazy on the KY trip. Some disclosures: Some (5) of the bottles aren't for me. The Stagg Jr.  was a STL lottery "win". The EW Black was a Christmas present. The Reidel glasses were a bday present. The Blanton's went with us as our drinker. The FP came from Santa Claus, Indiana. Everything else was from KY.  The Blanton's stoppers were given to me by Freddie Johnson himself inside the Blanton's bottling house!  Some of the Blanton's that went with us was in a flask in my back pocket. I had the thought while in the bottling house that it was back where it started.

20191229_215818-1612x784.jpg

20191229_220751-784x1613.jpg

That’s a neat sticker (full proof w/ Santa).

 

Glad you had a good trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
My swag.. I can’t decide if I should pour a wee dram of the maple syrup or actually use it on pancakes.
4A665DE1-3363-4BDF-B2EA-3602079C9568.thumb.jpeg.984aff5ba1bba8cd31fa25d7e1375e20.jpeg


I want that coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzhead

I was in California this week  and found a Hancock's Presidential Reserve, which I gifted to my son-in-law for Christmas,    I haven't seen that one in years (BT high rye recipe #2, if my memory serves),   and it was an unqualified hit at our family get-together.    My son gifted me a bottle of Old Forester Prohibition Edition,  which I know I will sip with favor.     Lastly,  I treated myself to a bottle of Woodinville Straight Bourbon,  a Washington craft distiller with a reputation for quality I had long wanted to check out.  

 

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year, everyone!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
20 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

It says from the private barrel then on the side it says it again. So i guess I assumed it is a SB. Spoke with the owner .. this is probably one of the most reputable shops in the area.. he told me 13.5 almost 14 year MGP.  It states that its MGP on the side label. Yes would love to hear from Whiskeyblender on this.

@FasterHorses and @0895, yes, it definitely is a SB from MGP, and it is almost 14 years old. I'm not sure why, perhaps for ease of having to going through with COLAs, but Magnus has never put age statements on any of the bottles. The store picks tend to be exclusively Single Barrels, and not blends. In fact, I can't think of an instance where a store pick has been a blend. Although my former blending assistant at Magnus used to take care of the Private program, I'm pretty sure he didn't do private blends. 

 

Also @FasterHorses, I think that might have been me who posted about how the MGP stock changes through the years to about age 20, as I've worked with their stock up to that age. I have a few barrels at Magnus that are about to turn 22, and I'm curious to see how it is progressing, going down hill, or wherever it is going now! 😉

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JGriff

Caught a couple big fish today.  Happy New Year y’all. 

69CCCB29-67CA-4770-B358-F16E3B588014.jpeg

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
8 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@FasterHorses and @0895, yes, it definitely is a SB from MGP, and it is almost 14 years old. I'm not sure why, perhaps for ease of having to going through with COLAs, but Magnus has never put age statements on any of the bottles. The store picks tend to be exclusively Single Barrels, and not blends. In fact, I can't think of an instance where a store pick has been a blend. Although my former blending assistant at Magnus used to take care of the Private program, I'm pretty sure he didn't do private blends. 

 

Also @FasterHorses, I think that might have been me who posted about how the MGP stock changes through the years to about age 20, as I've worked with their stock up to that age. I have a few barrels at Magnus that are about to turn 22, and I'm curious to see how it is progressing, going down hill, or wherever it is going now! 😉

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Thanks for clearing that up Nancy.  I will be getting a couple more. That is just a fantastic deal. Not sure its cask strength  but 106 pr is perfect for me. 
Seems like they would want to put that age on there somewhere. What age MGP do you consider optimum for your taste? I tend to have a soft spot for the 9-10 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks for clearing that up Nancy.  I will be getting a couple more. That is just a fantastic deal. Not sure its cask strength  but 106 pr is perfect for me. 
Seems like they would want to put that age on there somewhere. What age MGP do you consider optimum for your taste? I tend to have a soft spot for the 9-10 range. 

My pleasure @FasterHorses. I have a feeling I might have said this elsewhere on the forum and I can't remember where, so at risk of being redundant, I'll answer your question here. I totally agree that the 9-10 year spot is a good one. Like all spirits, MGP bourbon stock goes through numerous crest and troughs, or oxidation cycles, during its maturation life. Part of this, of course, will also depend upon what climate it is matured in as well as the type of warehouse (i.e., brick and/or concrete vs. metal clad, etc.). If it is matured at the MGP campus in Lawrenceburg, IN, for instance, where the warehouses are concrete, the proof tends to drop over time due to the humid and cool environment, even on the upper floors. Also, the Ohio River is close by, so there is a good amount of fog and humidity, so this also has an effect on the barrels. 

 

Over the years, I've probably had the opportunity to work with literally thousands of MGP barrels for various clients, so I've had the benefit to see how the stock also performs when matured at other locations and in very different climates. If it has been aged in a cool and damp location, then the maturation will obviously be slowed down, vs. if it is matured in hotter, drier climates, or even hotter, more humid climates. 

 

That said, the most general maturation curve of crests and troughs that I've seen with the stock is that it hits its stride around 9 to 10 years old. It generally stays in a crest until about year 13, at which time it tends to go into a bit of a trough. It comes alive again around years 16 and 17. It starts to slip back into a trough in years 18 and 19, then it can make a very nice return at age 20. I'm still watching the stock that's about to turn 22 that I was telling you about, so I'm not totally sure where it will go from here, but I have had some 21 year old MGP elsewhere, and I found it to be in a slump. However, I've also had some very nice 25 year old and 30 year old, although I haven't worked with it personally. Both of those were near 90 proof. 

 

The MGP bottle that you have would have spent the majority of its maturation life at the MGP campus, so the 106 proof is just about right for a barrel that age. In fact, I would venture to guess that it came from the middle to upper floors. I've seen plenty of barrels of that age that spent their maturation life at MGP that are 100 proof or below. 

 

Does this help? 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markandrex

Not a purchase but traded with a fellow SBer for this.

 

 

D540F7C0-116E-4EE3-A46C-9E698A184F1E.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
24 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

My pleasure @FasterHorses. I have a feeling I might have said this elsewhere on the forum and I can't remember where, so at risk of being redundant, I'll answer your question here. I totally agree that the 9-10 year spot is a good one. Like all spirits, MGP bourbon stock goes through numerous crest and troughs, or oxidation cycles, during its maturation life. Part of this, of course, will also depend upon what climate it is matured in as well as the type of warehouse (i.e., brick and/or concrete vs. metal clad, etc.). If it is matured at the MGP campus in Lawrenceburg, IN, for instance, where the warehouses are concrete, the proof tends to drop over time due to the humid and cool environment, even on the upper floors. Also, the Ohio River is close by, so there is a good amount of fog and humidity, so this also has an effect on the barrels. 

 

Over the years, I've probably had the opportunity to work with literally thousands of MGP barrels for various clients, so I've had the benefit to see how the stock also performs when matured at other locations and in very different climates. If it has been aged in a cool and damp location, then the maturation will obviously be slowed down, vs. if it is matured in hotter, drier climates, or even hotter, more humid climates. 

 

That said, the most general maturation curve of crests and troughs that I've seen with the stock is that it hits its stride around 9 to 10 years old. It generally stays in a crest until about year 13, at which time it tends to go into a bit of a trough. It comes alive again around years 16 and 17. It starts to slip back into a trough in years 18 and 19, then it can make a very nice return at age 20. I'm still watching the stock that's about to turn 22 that I was telling you about, so I'm not totally sure where it will go from here, but I have had some 21 year old MGP elsewhere, and I found it to be in a slump. However, I've also had some very nice 25 year old and 30 year old, although I haven't worked with it personally. Both of those were near 90 proof. 

 

The MGP bottle that you have would have spent the majority of its maturation life at the MGP campus, so the 106 proof is just about right for a barrel that age. In fact, I would venture to guess that it came from the middle to upper floors. I've seen plenty of barrels of that age that spent their maturation life at MGP that are 100 proof or below. 

 

Does this help? 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

I think that is exactly it. Glad to know mine may indeed be cask strength. Very envious of the things you get to see and taste. I imagine your notes are very detailed on the various factors that affect the bourbons and ryes you work with.  Have wondered about the Redemption Ancients bottles.. I ttink thheres a 36 year.. would be interesting to see a chart of the crests and troughs on the way to 36. Thank you again for the info!

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
4 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I think that is exactly it. Glad to know mine may indeed be cask strength. Very envious of the things you get to see and taste. I imagine your notes are very detailed on the various factors that affect the bourbons and ryes you work with.  Have wondered about the Redemption Ancients bottles.. I ttink thheres a 36 year.. would be interesting to see a chart of the crests and troughs on the way to 36. Thank you again for the info!

 

I'm about 99.9% positive that your bottles are cask strength. Unless a private buyer demands otherwise, they never get reduced. And the 106 proof on your bottle would be pretty normal for a 13.5 y.o. 

 

Wow, I would absolutely LOVE to taste what a 36 year would be like! Again, how it turns out would totally depend upon the maturation conditions, humidity, etc. But I'd love to have the chance to work with some bourbon in the 25 to 35 year range. I doubt I'll have that opportunity in the current bourbon environment, but it sure would be fun! 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilsweetpea
On 12/26/2019 at 8:58 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

My wife (NOT a bourbon drinker) was elated to come across multiple bottles of Bourbon Cream from BT. We managed to get four of them. She was really quite enthused!! She insisted we visit multiple LSs to see if more was available. I had to explain  Bourbon Zen to her. To no avail. She does enjoy this particular BT product. As do I.

 

Pat

 

 

Bourbon Cream 1.jpg

I was very excited about BT bourbon cream until we found Barton's chocolate bourbon cream in their gift shop. I come home with a case every time we visit! ☺️

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
22 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@FasterHorses and @0895, yes, it definitely is a SB from MGP, and it is almost 14 years old. I'm not sure why, perhaps for ease of having to going through with COLAs, but Magnus has never put age statements on any of the bottles. The store picks tend to be exclusively Single Barrels, and not blends. In fact, I can't think of an instance where a store pick has been a blend. Although my former blending assistant at Magnus used to take care of the Private program, I'm pretty sure he didn't do private blends. 

 

Also @FasterHorses, I think that might have been me who posted about how the MGP stock changes through the years to about age 20, as I've worked with their stock up to that age. I have a few barrels at Magnus that are about to turn 22, and I'm curious to see how it is progressing, going down hill, or wherever it is going now! 😉

 

Cheers,

Nancy


I could’ve sworn a few years back when a local was doing a store pick, 

they received 3 sample “blends” to choose from.

They ultimately did not pick any of them, because JAM was new to our market and they were worried about it not selling.

 

Another local took one of the picks, I believe.

I need to dig that bottle out and look at it again.  Perhaps there’s some identifier on it that you’d be able to look up?

 

I could just be remembering this all wrong and they were in fact single barrels 🤷‍♂️.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

Came across some of the 2018 PHC on a shelf so grabbed a couple bottles. Why not with how hard it is to find any LE stuff these days

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 12/31/2019 at 6:05 AM, 0895 said:


I could’ve sworn a few years back when a local was doing a store pick, 

they received 3 sample “blends” to choose from.

They ultimately did not pick any of them, because JAM was new to our market and they were worried about it not selling.

 

Another local took one of the picks, I believe.

I need to dig that bottle out and look at it again.  Perhaps there’s some identifier on it that you’d be able to look up?

 

I could just be remembering this all wrong and they were in fact single barrels 🤷‍♂️.

@0895, you know, the more I chew on it, the more I think you might be right about some kind of program like this. My assistant, who is no longer with Magnus, would have been in charge of the private and store pick programs around that time. I'm not sure it was a "blend" so much as that they were perhaps sending out cask finished samples that customers could choose from; i.e., Cognac, Oloroso, or a PX finish? 

 

At any rate, just because I don't remember any sort of mini-blend program doesn't mean it didn't happen. I readily admit that I've had some memory loss due to menopause. Menopause is definitely a terrible and unavoidable affliction that eventually happens to the lady folk among us, which I'm sure 99.9% of the gents on this board haven't had to deal with except with suffering wives, girlfriends, mothers, etc. 😅

 

In all seriousness, you've got my curiosity going about your local that was doing the store pick. If you find out anything more about it, please pass that along. 

 

Cheers, and Happy New Year! 

Nancy

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

picked these up this week

 

 

IMG_2416.jpg

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

Got another few of the HH sampler boxes at $9.99 closeout.

20200101_185612.jpg

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
parksmart

Awesome price!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
20 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

picked these up this week

 

 

IMG_2416.jpg

The Real McCoy 12 is delicious.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.