Jump to content

What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)


LCWoody
 Share

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Who are you and what have you done with the wheater guy?

Variety is the spice of life, I still like my wheaters but I'm not married to them.

 

In Michigan the state minimum price is $27.99 for the 750 mL bottle, the 1.5 L bottle is not available.

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Variety is the spice of life, I still like my wheaters but I'm not married to them.

 

In Michigan the state minimum price is $27.99 for the 750 mL bottle, the 1.5 L bottle is not available.

I remember so many of your WLW on Saturday morning posts that I just can't fathom you drinking a rye!

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I remember so many of your WLW on Saturday morning posts that I just can't fathom you drinking a rye!

 

The days of having a morning sip before breakfast, usually a wheated, pour unfortunately are over.  Well at least for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, Kepler said:

Went out to a nice steakhouse for our Valentine's Day dinner tonight instead of last night.  Great New York Strip, and a really nice cabernet alongside.

This place has an impressive whiskey selection and the wife said "go for it" so I did. Went ahead and ordered a 2 oz pour of the Van Winkle 13 yr rye.  I thought it was the finest rye I'd ever tasted a few  years ago when I had it then. It still is today.

Did you see which release it was? As much as I don’t like to feed the Van Winkle hype in general, the rye has always been one of my favorite bottles. Interestingly I thought it had gone downhill just a bit a couple years ago before the year they didn’t release any. When it came back it was presumably a totally new batch of all BT juice and I was highly skeptical. Then I tried it, and I still really liked the new stuff.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Did you see which release it was? As much as I don’t like to feed the Van Winkle hype in general, the rye has always been one of my favorite bottles. Interestingly I thought it had gone downhill just a bit a couple years ago before the year they didn’t release any. When it came back it was presumably a totally new batch of all BT juice and I was highly skeptical. Then I tried it, and I still really liked the new stuff.....

No, unfortunately I didn't notice. They didn't have different vintages of the rye listed so I assumed it was the most recent after it came back again, but I don't know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/29/2020 at 11:07 PM, Kepler said:

Picked up an EH Taylor Rye last week

After a very long pause the EHT Rye seems to suddenly abundantly available again in Atlanta. Well as a abundant as any Sazerac product tends to be these days. More than 1 or 2 bottles at a time a least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

After a very long pause the EHT Rye seems to suddenly abundantly available again in Atlanta. Well as a abundant as any Sazerac product tends to be these days. More than 1 or 2 bottles at a time a least.

And? Did you give in and dive back in? We know how weak you are. And I say that as someone who shares that trait!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, flahute said:

And? Did you give in and dive back in? We know how weak you are. And I say that as someone who shares that trait!

I still have some tucked away so I was able to resist the temptation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sky Club bottle kill...love these pewter closures. 

 

D9E95DFA-DD9C-4046-86E2-6864CE2CABE8.jpeg.b9dfea9b45ba8157df840c0aa61943ba.jpeg

The 15 is one of my all-time favorites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mattk said:

The 15 is one of my all-time favorites

Yes, especially when it's on the house.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought a bottle of Sagamore Spirit Straight Rye - have tried some of their finished versions so wanted to have the standard-bearer to bump up against.  Need to revisit it later, although initial impression is that the proof needs to be much higher (not objectionable, but too soft).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Bought a bottle of Sagamore Spirit Straight Rye - have tried some of their finished versions so wanted to have the standard-bearer to bump up against.  Need to revisit it later, although initial impression is that the proof needs to be much higher (not objectionable, but too soft).  

I live right near the distillery. You sir are probably drinking mgp. And a thin mgp at that. I do believe the Baltimore produced spirits are going to be amazing in a few years. And as a fan of mgp rye, the cask strength is good, but not worth the price. You sir are not wrong.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I live right near the distillery. You sir are probably drinking mgp. And a thin mgp at that. I do believe the Baltimore produced spirits are going to be amazing in a few years. And as a fan of mgp rye, the cask strength is good, but not worth the price. You sir are not wrong.

I enjoyed the Cognac Finish (and am reviewing a sample of Calvados Finish), but those are both higher proof.  If it is MGP, it is definitely different - as I'm not getting the dill I usually get there (and I like dill - don't get me wrong).  But yeah - a bit uninspiring at the 83 proof.  Have you done a tour of their distillery?  I'm not in that area often but made a mental note to try to swing by the next time through D.C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GaryT said:

I enjoyed the Cognac Finish (and am reviewing a sample of Calvados Finish), but those are both higher proof.  If it is MGP, it is definitely different - as I'm not getting the dill I usually get there (and I like dill - don't get me wrong).  But yeah - a bit uninspiring at the 83 proof.  Have you done a tour of their distillery?  I'm not in that area often but made a mental note to try to swing by the next time through D.C.

It's about half an hour north up 95. Yeah the distillery is nice. I really like the fact they took a decrepit piece of land and turned it into a parklike environment. But it is still surrounded by industry. If you are trying to try a DC area rye and don't mind price the George Washington whiskey is pretty cool. Also if you are looking for mgps with no dill at all try the bonesnapper (one of my all-time favorites) or the redemption 10 year. If you are in the area hit me up, we have some pretty good whiskey bars around town.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

It's about half an hour north up 95. Yeah the distillery is nice. I really like the fact they took a decrepit piece of land and turned it into a parklike environment. But it is still surrounded by industry. If you are trying to try a DC area rye and don't mind price the George Washington whiskey is pretty cool. Also if you are looking for mgps with no dill at all try the bonesnapper (one of my all-time favorites) or the redemption 10 year. If you are in the area hit me up, we have some pretty good whiskey bars around town.

I did pick up the GW Unaged Rye when we visited the distillery in 2015, and while pricey - was a really cool bottle.  I'm not a white dog fan, but led me to seek out the HH and BT rye white dogs to compare (and the GW was far & away the best of the group).  I haven't tried the bonesnapper rye - may have to look for that one.  I like dill, so used to scoop up the Willett 4 & 5 yr Ryes back in the day when they were all MPG and 110 proof @ $35-$40.  I do have a friend who is turned off by the dill in rye though - and thought I need to turn them onto Sagamore Spirit as one they might like.  I don't get to DC too often (once every few years), but will definitely let you know if I'm in the area!  If you ever find your way to Atlanta, do the same!

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s no secret that I love MGP rye.

This 15y NCF barrel proof at 91p is pretty fantastic.  Very mellow and easy sipping.

??

 

 

82C0B909-83AE-4536-8DFD-047E82B8F2E7.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anybody had Woodinville Rye yet??? Was looking at buying a bottle but am still on the fence... Thoughts???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jnewberg said:

Has anybody had Woodinville Rye yet??? Was looking at buying a bottle but am still on the fence... Thoughts???

 

I have a bottle-- what would you like it compared to from a control standpoint?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

I have a bottle-- what would you like it compared to from a control standpoint?

Lets say EHT Straight Rye which I have been enjoying lately

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jnewberg said:

Lets say EHT Straight Rye which I have been enjoying lately

 

OK-- I'll put 'em on the block this weekend. The Woodinville is "microbarreled" and my bottle is only minus a single 30mL pour after 2+ years-- so my dough is on the Colonel.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Has anybody had Woodinville Rye yet??? Was looking at buying a bottle but am still on the fence... Thoughts???

 

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

 

OK-- I'll put 'em on the block this weekend. The Woodinville is "microbarreled" and my bottle is only minus a single 30mL pour after 2+ years-- so my dough is on the Colonel.

The micro barreled rye is no longer what they sell, thankfully, as I never did get into their microbarreled whiskey.

Woodinville Rye is good. It's even better at cask strength if you can find it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.