Scotch Options

DEH1212
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thinking about adding some scotch to the bar, any good drinkers that will be similar to bourbon?

I am a fan of higher proof bourbon, 1792 FP and ECBP are more to my taste.  

Price sub $100 

If you're looking for something similar to bourbon, that isn't bourbon, I would suggest rye or armagnac. Even certain rums, like Foursquare, will be closer in style to bourbon than many Scotches.

If you're set on Scotch, there are a few ways you can go. If you're looking for something lighter in style and aged primarily in bourbon barrels, maybe something like Highland Park or Auchentoshan.

Personally, when I drink Scotch it's typically as a change of pace. So I tend to like heavily sherried and / or heavily peated Scotch. For the sherried, desserty style Scotch maybe an Aberlour 12 or Aberlour A'bunadh if you want something high proof. There's some really lovely Irish whiskey that scratches this itch too, Like Redbreast 15 or Redbreast 12 cask strength.

For a smokey, meaty Scotch, Ardbeg 10 if you want something gentle or Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan for high proof. Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, would be good choices here too.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 6

Highland Park 12 will be your most widely-available on-ramp. It has a vanilla note that makes it the go-to for a lot of friends who don’t usually care for Scotch.

That said, I recommend doing some reading and gaining an understanding the regional variations and why Scotch tastes the way it does. Generally speaking I think Scotch is more subtle than bourbon, but not as subtle as Irish. Of course there are always exceptions, hence the “generally.” There are some Scotch whiskies that aren’t subtle at all- Lagavulin and Laphroig most famously.

Your ability to find cask-strength Scotch will depend on your market. Most of what’s available tends to come from the independent bottlers. Barrels tend to lose proof in the Scottish climate, and it’s usually bottled below 100 proof. Before the boom, Scotch was more costly than bourbon. I still tend to think that if I’m paying more than $60 for a bottle, it came here on a boat. You should still find plenty of classics in the 10-12 year range for under $100, but tariffs aren’t helping.

• I like it 1

A wild pitch...

Deanston 2008 Bordeaux Red Wine Matured (9yo, 58.7% ABV). Not bourbon like— but well made and well priced. 

Or, dig up a shelf worn “Unpeated Style” Caol Ila Special Release— all are natural cask strength and sensory hammers. 

Looked at Armagnac reviews and flavor profiles, maybe that's what I need on my radar.  Tasting notes similar to bourbon.

• I like it 2

Perhaps try St George Baller (USA 8yr single malt). I think makes for a nice transition from bourbon profile to single malt. 

14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

If you're looking for something similar to bourbon, that isn't bourbon, I would suggest rye or armagnac. Even certain rums, like Foursquare, will be closer in style to bourbon than many Scotches.

If you're set on Scotch, there are a few ways you can go. If you're looking for something lighter in style and aged primarily in bourbon barrels, maybe something like Highland Park or Auchentoshan.

Personally, when I drink Scotch it's typically as a change of pace. So I tend to like heavily sherried and / or heavily peated Scotch. For the sherried, desserty style Scotch maybe an Aberlour 12 or Aberlour A'bunadh if you want something high proof. There's some really lovely Irish whiskey that scratches this itch too, Like Redbreast 15 or Redbreast 12 cask strength.

For a smokey, meaty Scotch, Ardbeg 10 if you want something gentle or Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan for high proof. Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, would be good choices here too.

I'm right there with you. When I drink Scotch it is of the heavily/lightly peated variety (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Highland Park) or the lighter fruit forward variety (Aberfeldy, Glenfiddich) or a good blend like Monkey Shoulder. All Scotch, to me, seems more complex and layered like a Modern Jazz Composition (the lighter ones, anyway). Bourbon is more like a 3 Chord Power Rocker. Both different, but equally good depending on your mood. That being said, I am definitely more of a Rock 'n' Roll guy.

Side Note: Good list of peated scotches, but I'd definitely add the Port Charlotte 10 Year Old from Bruichladdich to your list. One of my favorites, but not as readily available as Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 2

Thinking about adding some scotch to the bar, any good drinkers that will be similar to bourbon?

I am a fan of higher proof bourbon, 1792 FP and ECBP are more to my taste.  

Price sub $100 

Why not add high west campfire....which is a mix of scotch and bourbon.
  • I like it 1

23 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

I drink a lot more bourbon than Scotch, so I won't claim to be the best Scotch reference for you.  But, I do have a couple of suggestions for Scotches that I find are pleasing when I am looking for a taste with bourbon notes present.  One is Glenfiddich 14 yr. Bourbon Barrel Reserve, which you can see from the name has wood influences familiar to bourbon drinkers.  Another option is Balvenie 12 yr. Sweet Toast of American Oak, which also brings a bourbon oak flavor to the malt.

Good luck with your explorations -- getting there is half the fun!

23 hours ago, Ghstudio said:

Why not add high west campfire....which is a mix of scotch and bourbon.

...and Rye! Can't forget the rye. I really like the bottle I currently have open. The smoke from the peated Scotch and the dill from Rye remind me of hot pastrami sandwich. Weird, but it works. Some pours the Scotch dominates, some the Rye, and some the Bourbon. I guess it depends on mood and diet for the day.

• I like it 1

Fwiw, I only started to enjoy Scotch when I stopped looking for one that tastes like bourbon [emoji4]

This is the path to enlightenment.
  • I like it 4

1 minute ago, evasive said:

This is the path to enlightenment.

(Using best Yoda voice) "Truth you are speaking, hmmmmm."

So, not a scotch, but Foursquare Rum is amazing, especially when the rum is aged in bourbon casks.

• I like it 1

Nikka From the Barrel. not scotch but close. barrel strength. easy transition for the bourbon drinker. its quite tasty.

23 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Nikka From the Barrel. not scotch but close. barrel strength. easy transition for the bourbon drinker. its quite tasty.

It's a good suggestion, but most Japanese whiskey probably has some Scotch in it these days, especially from Nikka. Japanese regulations are very lax on what can be considered "Japanese". Still, if found at retail at about $60 or so, Nikka FTB is really solid.

That said I generally avoid Japanese as a category these days, it's just as bad, if not worse, than rum, in terms of what you're getting vs what the bottle says. What is sold as "Japanese" can contain 100% imported spirit (ie: Scotch), and you generally pay a hefty premium for it. https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/features/19680/not-all-japanese-whisky-is-japanese-whisky/

Edited by EarthQuake

Made some new friends recent days they are big into non pleated scotch. They recommended Aberlour 16 and Craigellachie 13 to me. I tried an Auchentoshan 12 on my own and loved it. If you decide to try one of the peated  Islay’s you should be prepared for a taste similar to a wet bandaid........ but the smoke flavor is very unique.  I love it, my friends hate it. Ardbeg and Laphroaig are my favorite if price is a consideration. Lagavullin 16 if you want to splurge. 

Glenfiddich 12 year old is a good starting point on your scotch journey from bourbon.  Also try Auchentoshan American Oak, aged in first fill bourbon barrels.  Both are easily affordable in the $32-$45 price range in my neck of the woods.

Edited by kaiserhog

12 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Made some new friends recent days they are big into non pleated scotch. 

Nice Educational note: Their scotch is indeed non pleated, and the kilts are the the item that is usually pleated (the formal ones, anyway), so thanx for bring up this interesting point, LGC68!

• I like it 5

My suggestion if your looking for something that is like bourbon is to stick with bourbon. I say this kind of tongue in cheek, what I suggest is to really look for something outside of the profile of bourbon and see if you can find enjoyment in other places, I tend to find the most enjoyment in things that ultimately are unique. People might tell you to stay away from peated scotch as the flavor of some can be far outside of what you might be used to but in my experience I've had pours that I may not have initially enjoyed in the conventional sense and days or even months later I find myself reaching for them enthusiastically. 

• I like it 2

[OLD STORY! Regular SBers can skip this!  You've read it before.] Years ago at a WhiskyFest in WashDC, John Glaser of Compass Box Whisky introduced me to "Hedonism".  Mr. Glaser is an American who blends scotch and sells under the Compass Box label.  His booth was across the aisle from David Perkins'  High West (Utah).   After I left the HW booth, Mr. Glaser asked if I'd like to try some of his blends.  I told him I had NEVER really developed a taste for scotch.  He asked me if I'd like to try Hedonism which he said he'd designed for bourbon palates.

I've kept one open and one backup bottle around the house ever since.  On days when I want something light and complex but NOT caramel/vanilla/oak/spice forward, I agonize over choosing Compass Box Hedonist and one of my Irish whiskeys.  Or a beer.  Life is just so HARD!!:unsure:

• I like it 3

Lagavulin 16.  Very peaty, but once you get past the initial blast of creosote, it's really good.   Unfortunately, it seems to have zoomed past the $100 mark.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

[OLD STORY! Regular SBers can skip this!  You've read it before.] Years ago at a WhiskyFest in WashDC, John Glaser of Compass Box Whisky introduced me to "Hedonism".  Mr. Glaser is an American who blends scotch and sells under the Compass Box label.  His booth was across the aisle from David Perkins'  High West (Utah).   After I left the HW booth, Mr. Glaser asked if I'd like to try some of his blends.  I told him I had NEVER really developed a taste for scotch.  He asked me if I'd like to try Hedonism which he said he'd designed for bourbon palates.

I've kept one open and one backup bottle around the house ever since.  On days when I want something light and complex but NOT caramel/vanilla/oak/spice forward, I agonize over choosing Compass Box Hedonist and one of my Irish whiskeys.  Or a beer.  Life is just so HARD!!:unsure:

Hedonism tastes like straight up vanilla extract to me. I think it's more similar to the flavor profile of Canadian whiskey than bourbon personally. But I generally agree, it's a gentle introduction into scotch, except that well, it tastes unlike most other Scotches on the market being a scotch grain whiskey. Though honestly, you can get a similar flavor profile in Canadian or American light whiskey for a lot less money.

Edited by EarthQuake

42 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Hedonism tastes like straight up vanilla extract to me. I think it's more similar to the flavor profile of Canadian whiskey than bourbon personally. But I generally agree, it's a gentle introduction into scotch, except that well, it tastes unlike most other Scotches on the market being a scotch grain whiskey. Though honestly, you can get a similar flavor profile in Canadian or American light whiskey for a lot less money.

I cannot argue with this.  Many non-peat-heavy scotches, particularly the blends, hit me as really grassy and oily - not that I've tried a lot of them.  Price does not seem to help me avoid clunkers.  OTOH, I don't think Hedonism is as "sweet" as most Canadians, but it does have flavor notes (cooked grain, whole-grain bread, etc.) one finds in the better Canadians.  (NOTE - I am NOT an expert so take this as an anecdotal observation worth, maybe, two cents.) AND! What's wrong with drinking vanilla extract?  Some of my best friends . . .:P   Seriously, though, I do like Irish better than scotch regardless of brand if offered a choice.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.