What Dram are you enjoying Winter 2019/2020

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wanted to open a bottle that can't possibly disappoint today. An older batch B1/15 I've been holding on to for years.

IMG_20200308_202753.jpg

• I like it 3

Envision WRDO made with the pot still component only— with all of the inherent bourbon sweetness replaced by singed hair. Interesting ride. 

AE55865C-D04B-450F-A941-D3E51A2CB2E0.thumb.jpeg.c759f92267a7ebe47f16513a3e8646f6.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Envision WRDO made with the pot still component only— with all of the inherent bourbon sweetness replaced by singed hair. Interesting ride. 

AE55865C-D04B-450F-A941-D3E51A2CB2E0.thumb.jpeg.c759f92267a7ebe47f16513a3e8646f6.jpeg

Damn active sherry butt to get that color at that proof and age. I really enjoy a healthy dose of sulfur in my sherried scotch, and singed hair sounds so delicious.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I wanted to open a bottle that can't possibly disappoint today. An older batch B1/15 I've been holding on to for years.

IMG_20200308_202753.jpg

That whiskey never disappoints.  I’m hoping to get my bottle through to the 17th, but you done made me get to it.  Now, I ain’t sure...Thanks... ?  Top 5er whiskey on my list.   

398C0B39-BB1D-47FD-9755-99DA5D2569CE.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had dinner with my across the street neighbor and after we finished he brought out the Scotch and Irish.

We started with Glenlivet 14 which is finished in cognac casks. Then some Bushmill's Black Bush. We finished with Tullamore Dew 14yr which is finished in sherry, port, and madeira casks.

Next Sunday we'll be doing Shepherd's Pie and Irish Soda Bread for the Irish holiday so some stouts are in order and of course some more Irish whiskey.

Big shock that the cork came out in one piece (although I've replaced it) after a 24-year stint in the bottle.

This small batch from what appears to be three refill bourbon casks is a rather mild child, but yet interesting in its earthy delicacy-- like Salers Aperitif.

IMG_3969.thumb.jpg.8cc94df5e67ada59359454fac4c4e2dc.jpg

• I like it 2

I'm one pour in and this is just sublime. 

The nose is a heady mix of peat and vanilla, a hint of citrus. The 'american oak' really comes through in the form of bourbon.

Palate is a glorious mix of burnt fruit, baked apples, toasted oak, all mixed up with lots of smoke and some brine. 

Finish is sweet and sour, some spices (nutmeg) and some brine that all then returns to the vanilla and peat of the nose.

Quite something! The finish just goes on and on. 

20200309_214443.jpg

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, beasled said:

I'm one pour in and this is just sublime. 

The nose is a heady mix of peat and vanilla, a hint of citrus. The 'american oak' really comes through in the form of bourbon.

Palate is a glorious mix of burnt fruit, baked apples, toasted oak, all mixed up with lots of smoke and some brine. 

Finish is sweet and sour, some spices (nutmeg) and some brine that all then returns to the vanilla and peat of the nose.

Quite something! The finish just goes on and on. 

20200309_214443.jpg

I've long been intrigued by the Zuidam Single Malts-- I need to track a bottle down based on your description.

I was just playing with bottle of their Honey Liqueur last week in hopes of creating a decent Screwball-based cocktail, but no luck as of yet.

IMG_3918.thumb.jpg.446a229764e625eb4b9822a344a96f59.jpg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I've long been intrigued by the Zuidam Single Malts-- I need to track a bottle down based on your description.

I was just playing with bottle of their Honey Liqueur last week in hopes of creating a decent Screwball-based cocktail, but no luck as of yet.

IMG_3918.thumb.jpg.446a229764e625eb4b9822a344a96f59.jpg

Nice! 

I've had several of their bottlings. They don't seem to have much in the way of a core range as of yet, so most of them have been 'specials'. Unpeated sherry cask was ace, as was a 23 year American Oak. Their 100 rye is pretty good, too. 

Cheers

EBC29F88-1D52-4A61-96D4-B424A8EB81E6.thumb.jpeg.c1b4e0600189f22f1dcf640999571555.jpeg

Opened up a Midleton BC today, I always heard the lower numbered ones were better, but don't know if there is any truth to that, (2291), anyway its pretty damn good. I will be buying another for the bunker.

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskey but this is as good as any I've had.  I prefer it to the the Power's John Lane which is the last fancy bottle I remember buying.  I think the added proof gives it a heft that is lacking in much Irish.   Happy St Pat's, all!

IMG_4258.thumb.jpg.f6f4725222a74db0738de230001542b3.jpg

• I like it 2

Opened the Writers Tears Double Oak I bought last week. It's a very nice Irish whiskey but could use a bit more abv and/or age to be excellent. Still, a good bottle I won't have any problem going to when I'm in the mood for Irish

9 minutes ago, scratchline said:

I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskey but this is as good as any I've had.  I prefer it to the the Power's John Lane which is the last fancy bottle I remember buying.  I think the added proof gives it a heft that is lacking in much Irish.   Happy St Pat's, all!

It really is special whiskey.  Enjoying a pour now as the Sun has broken through late on this St. Patrick’s Day here Down South, in Georgia.  

CF796EEA-D99C-42BE-8B74-50881EA6AE2B.jpeg

• I like it 1

Joining the trend with a healthy pour of Redbreast 12yr CS Batch 1/12.  Made a decent dent in this last Saturday, but being a Tuesday - it likely will make it through the evening :D ?

Batch 1/18 of the Redbreast 12 cask strength in my glass. Between isolating at home and a likely 14+ hour work day, not the most fun St. Patrick's Day I've ever had.

18 hours ago, scratchline said:

I had a small pour of Redbreast CS yesterday as well.  Over crushed ice, it's great.

So as to be honest, on this the day I complete my 40th rotation around the sun, I did in fact have a Laphroaig 18 and a 2015 Cairdeas, because one should not go without their favorite things when there is cause for celebration. No photographic evidence exists as I'd prefer to continue enjoying this episode of Picard instead. 

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 2

A late St. Patrick's post ,but on the day it was Teeling single malt, that rare Irish whiskey I can find flavor in and actually enjoy, Slainte!!

Sipping on some Balvenie Tun 1509 (Batch 5) after a long damn week.  Pretty f@#$%ing delicious whisky (thanks to @BigRich for the sample!)

Poured some Laphroaig 15yr 200th anniversary and while it was OK, it was a little thin and weak to me tonight. Looked at what else was open on the bar and ended up adding some standard Ledaig 10yr. Still a bit thin but the added flavor made it much better.

10yr old Ledaig from Signatory selected by the Winebow Group. It's cask strength at 60.1 abv so I add a decent amount of water to make it a very nice pour. Neat it's OK but the amount of alcohol is a bit much. Definitely no artificial color added as it's barely straw colored in appearance. Good whisky for it's age.

last fall picked up 15 yr and 18 yr Buchanan's because I'd not had it, it was cheap, and I'm big Roy Buchanan fan.  It took me a few minutes to get inside the younger 15.  Others had trouble, there's even youtube videos.  Just shake it, and it works.  It's not my fav scotch but that'll do, pig, that'll do.  

As for Roy, I've seen him twice so close could touch the guitar.  Drank beers with him in a Louisville blues bar.  And tons of other connections.  Though he was not speed metal like The Great Kat, he was fast, clean, innovative.  He did things that only astound when you see it.  Here's an old post from Lazer, go to the original and there's links to vids.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.