What bourbon did you purchase long long ago?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finished ripping CDs so Mongo was put to work cleaning out boxes of old papers.  I plucked this one out of the pile and was reminded of how things used to be.

IMG_4151.thumb.jpg.c4a2f2bef8a6bdf1ec8d87d78d8bf300.jpg

-Mike

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, scratchline said:

I finished ripping CDs so Mongo was put to work cleaning out boxes of old papers.  I plucked this one out of the pile and was reminded of how things used to be.

[snipped the pic. h in wdc]

-Mike

Great True Grit quote, BTW.

I live with an anal retentive, and I do the taxes.  Hence, we have almost every credit card receipt we've ever gotten stashed in the tax boxes in the attic (although circa 2005 I did winnow down the 1975-1990 files a bit, but I was mostly drinking beer and wine then).  I stopped buying Lot B when the price hit $55.  I wonder what those OTHER receipts show?  I forget.

More later if I remember.

• I like it 4

Never really saved receipts longer than the arrival of the next credit card statement; but, I recall more than a few Birthday Bourbons bought in the mid thirty-dollar range back when that was easy to find, and more-or-less reasonable for Bourbon that was a few steps up from the low shelves.    I'll have to look in the bunker.   I may have one or two that still have price stickers on 'em.    Maybe I'll bring one or two to B'town in April, if anybody wants to sample some from 8-or-10-years ago.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Never really saved receipts longer than the arrival of the next credit card statement; but, I recall more than a few Birthday Bourbons bought in the mid thirty-dollar range back when that was easy to find, and more-or-less reasonable for Bourbon that was a few steps up from the low shelves.    I'll have to look in the bunker.   I may have one or two that still have price stickers on 'em.    Maybe I'll bring one or two to B'town in April, if anybody wants to sample some from 8-or-10-years ago.

I take all price stickers off.  It cuts down on the WTF ARE YOU DOING:angry:!!?? exclamations.

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I take all price stickers off.  It cuts down on the WTF ARE YOU DOING:angry:!!?? exclamations.

?

WT 101 in the early & mid 90’s. It was the coolest bottle on the shelf to a hunting and fishing obsessed kid like me. I paid for and received it but someone else had to carry my money into the store and get it for me. If I got the receipt at all it was probably used for campfire starter that day. There hasn’t been much of a price increase in 25 years, but one of those bottles today is worth quite a lot I’ve been told. 

• I like it 3

Same

1998-2000 during my later years of college my go to was Evan Williams single battle which at the time was $20-25/btl. for special occasions would step up and buy VWFR12 at around $35-40 or for really special occurrences AH Hirsch 16 @$60-80. That was it for whiskey - other than that was just beer and wine for me those years. 

• I like it 2

I’ll have some time on my hands in about a month, so I’ll delve into this topic a little more at that time. For now I’ll just post about a couple of nearly identical purchases. 

On December 19th, 2009  I went to a Binny’s and bought their ps Weller 12 @$24.99. I bought a case. I received a 10 %  discount of $29.99 for buying a case. Add tax, and county tax, and my total was $307.08. 

On January 16th  2010, I went to another Binny’s and bought another case. Different county, so no county tax, and the tax rate was less. After adding in $7.00 for a miscellaneous item, and taking off the 10% case discount, the total this time was $296.26. 

This was pretty much when I first became a Weller Whore. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

On 2/9/2020 at 6:43 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

On December 19th, 2009  I went to a Binny’s and bought their ps Weller 12 @$24.99. I bought a case. I received a 10 %  discount of $29.99 for buying a case. Add tax, and county tax, and my total was $307.08. 

On January 16th  2010, I went to another Binny’s and bought another case. Different county, so no county tax, and the tax rate was less. After adding in $7.00 for a miscellaneous item, and taking off the 10% case discount, the total this time was $296.26. 

Around the same time, give or take a couple of years, I did the same thing in Manhattan.  I may have paid 29.99 a bottle.  Weller 12.  My wife's favorite bourbon.  Bought a case downtown and dragged it to the UWS.  Schlepped them on the subway because I ddn't want to pay for a cab.  All those bottles are long gone now.  Replaced by a case of liters that we drove back from Texas in 2016.  29.99 a piece.   Still a couple of those left.

-Mike

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

So, did you use the 10% coupon code?   Oh the suspense! ?

Damn, I missed that!!  I’m going back to Cali and DEMAND my discount!!  ?

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn, I missed that!!  I’m going back to Cali and DEMAND my discount!!  ?

Hmmm. Not sure; but,maybe you can talk 'em into a rectal-active discount....?   ?

The relevance of this receipt is the back story.  This store which is right down the street from me did a private barrel selection of a Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B in 2005-6, which this receipt is from one of the bottles of it I purchased.  At the time, Lot B was my favorite bourbon and you could find it just about everywhere in ATL for $27-$29.  I was absolutely pissed that they had theirs at $39.99, and made a commitment to myself not to buy it.    Dozens and dozens of bottles sat there for at least 2 years if not longer, with only 1 or 2 being sold per month.  I would walk into the store and laugh as I watched them collect dust.  Then, prices began to creep up elsewhere, VWs began to appear in smaller quantities if not disappear altogether, and I figured I had better start squirreling them away despite its $39.99 price tag.  When I decided to make my move to grab as many as I could fit in my cart, I walked in...and they were completely gone...overnight.  Just one of many dumbass coulda-shoulda mistakes I’ve made in this hobby.  ?

5556FE45-8E7D-4F65-AA3F-8BBEF481D6D9.jpeg

• I like it 5

Yeah, hindsight is always 20-20, eh Joe.    I feel for ya'.    I've made a few similar "seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time" kinda bone-head decisions, as well.

I have some pics that I look at now like "wtf were you thinking!"  Back in 2011 (when I hadn't yet joined SB.com and was just discovering serious bourbon) I would take pictures of bottles that looked interesting, and then go try to do some research on them (ultimately what led me to SB.com).  Didn't have the budget then to buy some, so definitely some regrets - like all three of these below.  $50 at the time was basically my cap, and the one bottle I'd spent that much on (Bookers) to me was like drinking gasoline - didn't like it.  So scoffed at these.

Photo-0022.thumb.jpg.8092e10a523155088c0e571467c43d25.jpg

Couple years later learned my lesson, and thankfully the FRSmBLE could be had at retail still easily enough.  Bought two (one for myself, I think the other was for my Dad at the time) even at a 10% discount.

20131109_145657.jpg.8326777d34ae00d71d79910a59f8c043.jpg

And in 2014, have the receipt for what I expect is my last BTAC purchases (unless the bubble bursts and product quantities actually allow them to be put on shelves again).  Was floored in 2014 to still see them on a shelf, and even then didn't completely clear it.  Good times.

20141104_191508.jpg.f7d7b7b7086b2d41535eb8244af7599d.jpg

• I like it 1

Ahhhhh.  The Good Old Days, revisited.   Such nostalgia runs to complete 'Bourbon Nirvana' at times, eh?   I share your pain and regret; but will struggle along somehow....

This was only a little over 2 years ago but haven't gotten any since. I think that price ($22.99 if you can't see it) is long gone.

20200217_081356.jpg

On 2/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, GaryT said:And in 2014, have the receipt for what I expect is my last BTAC purchases (unless the bubble bursts and product quantities actually allow them to be put on shelves again).  Was floored in 2014 to still see them on a shelf, and even then didn't completely clear it.  Good times.

20141104_191508.jpg.f7d7b7b7086b2d41535eb8244af7599d.jpg

That receipt is heaven right there.

2014 was the last really great year for GTS and THH.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s all pretty good, but those two releases remain in my memory as some of the best ever of their respected brands.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.