Bardstown Bourbon Co. Discovery Series #2

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was back in Bardstown yesterday at the Bardstown Bourbon Co., working on details for a meeting that an Association of which I am a member, will be having later this year.  After that was accomplished, I decided to have lunch at their Bottle and Bond restaurant.  They have some of the best salmon I've ever eaten, so I took advantage of the opportunity.  I was by myself, so I sat at the bar.  Had an interesting conversation with the fellow next to me, who was from Glasgow, Scotland.  You could tell it from his accent (I'm sure he found ours equally interesting/amusing).  Before leaving I drifted over to the gift shop.

I decided to gift myself a bottle of their Discovery Series #2 bourbon.  Yes, I know it is sourced, and grossly overpriced, but I thought I'd give it a try and see what it was.  What it is, is very good bourbon.  122 proof, but not overly hot nor overly oakey.  It required only a touch of water to make it very drinkable.  Obviously, at $129/bottle it is not going to be a regular purchase for me, but as a one time try I was pleased at how it turned out.  Pictures:

fullsizeoutput_2a42.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2a44.jpeg

• I like it 3

It makes me wonder.  A person could check the mash bill percentages in the Whiskey Tree thread, maybe make some hypothesis. ? I give credit to Bardstown Bourbon Co. for putting that much information on the label.

• I like it 1

Wouldn’t the options for the 10 year portion be WT, HH and JB? A certain WT blogger suggested recently that WT was in it. However, he also suggested the Four Gate Foundation batch 5 was WT, which was later denied by Eddie Russell. 

57 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Wouldn’t the options for the 10 year portion be WT, HH and JB? A certain WT blogger suggested recently that WT was in it. However, he also suggested the Four Gate Foundation batch 5 was WT, which was later denied by Eddie Russell. 

Don’t listen to bloggers.  

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Revisited this today.  I'm telling you guys, this is pretty good stuff.  I know about all the negatives, etc., but I'm talking from right now and how it is tasting to me.  Very good bourbon.

Edited by Kyjd75
  • I like it 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, Kyjd75 said:

Revisited this today.  I'm telling you guys, this is pretty good stuff.  I know about all the negatives, etc., but I'm talking from right now and how it is tasting to me.  Very good bourbon.

I picked one up today and I must agree.  

I often tell people, have to pay to play.  You don't know what's in it till trying it.  I used to buy lots of expensive bottles with low expectations and often they met my low expectations.  But occasionally hit on a winner and that made it all worthwhile.  The poor ones are education, winners like this are wonderful.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, B.B. Babington said:

I often tell people, have to pay to play.  You don't know what's in it till trying it.  I used to buy lots of expensive bottles with low expectations and often they met my low expectations.  But occasionally hit on a winner and that made it all worthwhile.  The poor ones are education, winners like this are wonderful.  

Hmm, yes there was a time when I was guilty(?) of this. But it got more and more expensive to play and the winners, such as they were, got to be rarer and eventually didn’t make it all worthwhile anymore.

Not that I begrudge anybody who hasn’t had that experience yet (if they really want it!).

I’m just not playing anymore. Even though it makes me a little sad!

But only just a little bit. 

• I like it 3

53 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hmm, yes there was a time when I was guilty(?) of this. But it got more and more expensive to play and the winners, such as they were, got to be rarer and eventually didn’t make it all worthwhile anymore.

Not that I begrudge anybody who hasn’t had that experience yet (if they really want it!).

I’m just not playing anymore. Even though it makes me a little sad!

But only just a little bit. 

And thus we witness, the passing of an era.

Can't blame you Bruce. I used to be right there with you. Can't do it anymore.

• I like it 2

^^^^ Me Too (for the most part, anyway.... for now, at least...)     I'm so weak; but at the moment my resolve is firm.   Can't say about tomorrow, though.

• I like it 2

This bottle hit Ohio last week, and I too must say it is really good!   I really like the strong finish and the spice notes.   Not over oaked, but you can certainly taste some of the blended age.    Big Fan - is it worth the price, I don't know.   I tried the first one at the distillery which was also really good.

They are on to something here.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.